Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anatomy Of A Race Car Fire 2 Weekends Ago....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011 | 07:05 PM
Mike76
Advanced

While I always run with an extinguisher in both GT3 and Clubman, having seen them in action with an engine fire, they are pretty useless and getting out of there quick is the best bet. They are too small to do much good. Need either a plumbed in system or a track marshall.

Mike

Old 04-18-2011 | 07:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

when you see FIRE on/in/near your car, forget the car. the key is to get the fk out. i had FE bottle in otehr cars. i have zero intentions of ever using it. inthe race car i have plumbed system. that's not for saving the car, it's to buy you extra 2-3 seconds so you can get the hell out.
Old 04-18-2011 | 07:49 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SH || NC
Your PCA region requires that fro DE? Link to rules?
Required for all up here.

http://www.pcaucr.org/driving/driver...driveredsafety Third paragraph.
Old 04-18-2011 | 08:25 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Great info guys; thanks
Old 04-18-2011 | 10:17 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
when you see FIRE on/in/near your car, forget the car. the key is to get the fk out. i had FE bottle in otehr cars. i have zero intentions of ever using it. inthe race car i have plumbed system. that's not for saving the car, it's to buy you extra 2-3 seconds so you can get the hell out.
Fk fire- I had 3rd degree burn on one hand when my house was on fire(long time ago) when I tried to save house. Fire extinguishers if fire is big enuf won't do ****- just get the hell out!!! I sprayed and could not see nething but black and white smoke. Hope the best for him. I just had it on my hand and I tell u I was crying in shear pain when they were cleaning it and worse cleaning it when changing dressings. Mike
Old 05-03-2011 | 12:30 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

yes, does make one think twice about the "worst case scenario."
glad the driver is OK, very scary.

if you do have a fire system installed, check the battery every season and be sure it is "armed and ready" before every session.
Old 05-03-2011 | 12:47 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SH || NC
Great info guys; thanks
NCR also requires this. IMHO it is kinda stupid, more practical sense would be to require people to wear full face helmets with visors and balaclavas. and wear gloves.

real fire cases at DE are extremely rare but I can see how an average guy may easily get barbequed if INSTEAD of opening door and getting out of harness/seatbelt he will start unplugging his FE in effort to 'save' his $100K+ toy.
Old 05-03-2011 | 01:03 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smsarchitects
yes, does make one think twice about the "worst case scenario."
glad the driver is OK, very scary.

if you do have a fire system installed, check the battery every season and be sure it is "armed and ready" before every session.
I always use a manual pull vs electric. Seen enuf cars with electric malfunction that go poof. Mike
Old 05-03-2011 | 01:56 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The OP has been a great read for me. I've always been a little bit on the "wild" side, and prefer driving in a t-shirt and jeans.....or have been known for my fire suit with driving loafers.

After reading this, and stepping up to a more purpose-built track car, I'm getting ALL the equipment....not taking any chances now.

Quick Reply: Anatomy Of A Race Car Fire 2 Weekends Ago....