Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian Track Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011 | 03:36 PM
JackRGT3
Rennlist Member

Default Canadian Track Advice

Working on my summer DE schedule and I'm trying work in at least one Canadian track. I read threads on Mosport, Calabogie, and Mont-Tremblant and they all sound like great tracks.

If I can only do one, which should it be?

Any personal rankings out there??
Thanks Guys
Old 03-24-2011 | 04:10 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

I'm partial to Tremblant for a few reasons, it's an amazing track with a rich history, it has been totally redone in recent years so it is smooth and has all the right safety stuff, it has some very fast and challenging corners as well as some slower and more technical stuff.
The track is also right in the middle of the town of Tremblant so there are great resto's, great hotels and all sorts of attractions other than the track. That means kids and wives have things to do if they want to be away from the track. Lots of good cycling and hiking, beautiful lakes etc etc.

Calabogie is a great track as well with lots of corners (21 I think) and it is very challenging but once you know it, it is very rewarding. Good for lower power cars since there are not too many long straights.
It's in a very quaint town, real cottage country. Not much to do around there though.

Mosport is a super fast track and good for fast and powerful cars and guys will brass *****. It's bumpy though and could use a repave. You have to try it at some point though.

Attached is a link of a video I made from Tremblant last summer from my Cayman S. It gives you an idea of the track. (Bob Rouleau is in front of me, we are just messing around a bit)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk7avSjOGIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X1qbIUUW7w
Old 03-24-2011 | 04:52 PM
atr911
Rennlist Member

Excellent synopsis above. Mosport is cool because it's still used in high profile GT series, Tremblant was world famous as an F1 Track. Calabogie is by far the least prestigious but it is the newest and was really designed as a technical track. Lots of corners to learn!
Old 03-24-2011 | 04:58 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

+ 1 for Tremblant for things to do with the family and for being B E A U T I F U L; the track and the surroundings. Le Village is 2 minutes away.

Mosport for the experience. Lots of elevation changes and off-camber turns. Turn 2 is challenging and rewarding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DWeejbOZnY
Old 03-24-2011 | 05:00 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Coming up from PA... Tremblant will be worthwhile for you. As Chris mentioned... at least you would not be in the boonies.

Before leaving you can stay in Montreal which is on the way home.
Old 03-24-2011 | 05:22 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Both LTCM and Mosport are bucket list tracks. It's not a question of one or the other - do both at some point.

Mosport is scary fast with very little room for error (1, 2, 4, and 8 will get your attention). Tremblant offers a lot to see/do away from the track.
Old 03-24-2011 | 05:27 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

hey Francois, you have a hole in the garage where the GT3 should be...are you out driving it? it's was snowing here today again.
Snow in Tremblant too...(keeping the thread on track!)
Old 03-24-2011 | 05:36 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Chris, you need to fix the cayman, the right front wheel runs backwards
Old 03-24-2011 | 06:01 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Hey Chris, you need to fix the cayman, the right front wheel runs backwards
OMG!! That's why i was not any faster!
Wait until the GT3 is behind ya with the wheels turning the wrong way!

Last edited by Chris R.; 03-24-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2011 | 07:18 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Jack,

NER is doing three days at Calabogie then three days at LCMT in July. Three days each at two fantastic tracks. You could do one event or both. Either way these are two great tracks, though I have to say Calabogie is my personal favorite, 23 turns, all different. But you can't go wrong with either of them.

Cheers!

John
Old 03-24-2011 | 07:26 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris R.
hey Francois, you have a hole in the garage where the GT3 should be...are you out driving it? it's was snowing here today again.
Snow in Tremblant too...(keeping the thread on track!)
Car is in Ottawa getting a couple of leaks fixed, getting ready for... Mosport and Tremblant, and hopefully Calabogie and The Glen this year. Will pick it up next week on the way back from Montreal.

Yeah LOTS of snow here yesterday so you would get it today. Sending you some sunshine for tomorrow however, promise
Old 03-24-2011 | 09:09 PM
JackRGT3
Rennlist Member

Hands down Canada has some great tracks. At this point the preliminary plan is to do Tremblant July 11-13 and then see if I can tack on 3 days at Calabogie the weekend before or after.

I will have to see if I can get some other local track rats to join me.

Great input. What about best places to stay and dine; and what is the lead time to get a room.
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2011 | 09:20 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

If you can swing Tremblant and Calabogie in same same round trip that's a good plan.

I will be doing Calabogie for the first time this year myself. An old friend of mine that raced Formula Atlantic cars tells me that it is a hugely rewarding track to drive.
Old 03-24-2011 | 09:34 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Calabogie is sooo much fun. The two complex (duck head and quarry) are great when you get them right.
Old 03-24-2011 | 09:37 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Jack,

PCA-Rennsport has a 3-day DE @ Calabogie starting on Thursday 7 July (www.rennsport.ca)

PCA-NNJR has a 3-day DE @ Mosport starting on Friday July 15 (www.pcaucr.org)

PCA-Rennsport has a 2-day DE @ Tremblant starting on Monday 26 July

Quick Reply: Canadian Track Advice