Sponsored by:

996 GT2's Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 996 GT2's Setup

I'm looking to pick one up. What suspension/alignment settings are essential to tame this beast for the street? I'm not going to track the car, but will push it on the street to some extent.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Carpyourdiem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riz...Sorry that I don't have my alignment specs, but Premiere Sports Car Service in Las Vegas is the shop I like and they have extensive GT2 experience. Kent is the main guy and has an amazing track record. He can help you if you don't hear back from anyone on this forum.

Mike earlier asked about 6-GT2 ownership and I wrote a few things that occurred to me...but should have mentioned the following: The best advice I've gotten about driving this car, and riding turbo bikes...is that your throttle is managing boost as well as rpm. That really hit home...your foot might be adding rpm slowly, but boost is also building. "Don't feel bad if you're not doing something with the throttle," was another comment from someone I respect enormously.

My wife and I talk about this all the time because she enjoys the 2, but knows how crazy it can get. As soon as your foot gets quick...at just about any rpm...things can get out of shape in a hurry. "Jab, hammer, slam, grab, stab, nail..." none of those verbs work for long in this car, IMO. You're managing boost and rpm...do it smoothly, add quick hands and this car is endlessly addicting. Good luck with the alignment specs, hope you get the car...NI
Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
HansCH
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hi there,
I would be interested in a good street setup as well. The factory setup seems quite harsh on streets that are less then perfect - a softer setup might be more efficent on roads like that.
It's a pitty you can't soften the dampers.
Regards
Hans
Old 03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks - I'm in NJ so I will try to find a local shop with experience setting up a GT2.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Carpyourdiem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hans, Where are your sway bars adjusted? When you said "harsh", you might be able to gain compliance by putting the sways to full soft.

I wonder what some of the more-experience chassis guys on here think of this? I've gotten in the habit of running the sways full soft on the street, and adding whatever feels right on the track. Might turn "harsh" into "firm". My 2 is definitely liveable...maybe even better than that!

Also, there's a great thread going now on rebuilding stock shocks...the Bilstein guys might have some great solutions just waiting for us. NI
Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have put 2 year's of setting mine up into my GT2.... I will post it up later tonight, some things can definitely apply to your car's despite my having Motons and not stock suspension, and or any other coilover setup... But this is def. dialed in for my setup specifically. Given that info though, it can be tailored as a baseline for your own setup when a shop who KNOWS what they are doing, go to dial yours in!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carpyourdiem
Riz...Sorry that I don't have my alignment specs, but Premiere Sports Car Service in Las Vegas is the shop I like and they have extensive GT2 experience. Kent is the main guy and has an amazing track record. He can help you if you don't hear back from anyone on this forum.

Mike earlier asked about 6-GT2 ownership and I wrote a few things that occurred to me...but should have mentioned the following: The best advice I've gotten about driving this car, and riding turbo bikes...is that your throttle is managing boost as well as rpm. That really hit home...your foot might be adding rpm slowly, but boost is also building. "Don't feel bad if you're not doing something with the throttle," was another comment from someone I respect enormously.

My wife and I talk about this all the time because she enjoys the 2, but knows how crazy it can get. As soon as your foot gets quick...at just about any rpm...things can get out of shape in a hurry. "Jab, hammer, slam, grab, stab, nail..." none of those verbs work for long in this car, IMO. You're managing boost and rpm...do it smoothly, add quick hands and this car is endlessly addicting. Good luck with the alignment specs, hope you get the car...NI
+1 for Kent. Give him a call.

Quick Reply: 996 GT2's Setup