Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 GT3 Type 2 Overrevs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011 | 12:09 PM
ace996
Instructor

Default 2004 GT3 Type 2 Overrevs

I'm looking for a 6GT3 and have found one with 7500miles, one owner, traded in on a new GT3.

WP0AC29964S692090

The DME shows:
213 Range 1 ignitions
631 range 2 ignitions.
Outside rpm range (upper range) 224.1h
Outside rpm range (lower range) 117.9h
Operating hours counter 388:22:55 h
Number of events: 3
1 Brake distributor
5 valve lift control
7 ABS failure

The car has been CPO'd.

I would very much appreciate the opinions of 'those that know'. Should I have concern for type 2 overrevs? Is it worth traveling to see/drive/buy?

Thanks so much,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 03-04-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2011 | 12:53 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

The last range two over speed event was way more than 50 hours ago, and the ignition attempts not so many. I wouldn't worry much about it.

If the car checks all the other boxes, I would check it out.

What I want to know is what is the fault code for "valve lift" and why they haven't deleted those codes. Do you have them?
Old 03-02-2011 | 12:57 PM
va122
Drifting

How do you have more range 2s then range 1. Seems strange.
Old 03-02-2011 | 02:03 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by va122
How do you have more range 2s then range 1. Seems strange.
Actually it is normal.

For technical reasons, over rev events are entered in a preset time interval.
As a result, there may be entries in a higher rev range (e.g. range 2), while no entries are stored in the lower range.
Old 03-02-2011 | 02:04 PM
va122
Drifting

good to know. Thanks John
Old 03-02-2011 | 02:32 PM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace996
The DME shows:
213 Range 1 ignitions
631 range 2 ignitions.
Outside rpm range (upper range) 224.1h
Outside rpm range (lower range) 117.9h
Operating hours counter 388:22:55 h
Number of events: 3
1 Brake distributor
5 valve lift control
7 ABS failure
Is there an easily found explanation somewhere on how to read/interpret this report? If so, where?
Old 03-02-2011 | 03:04 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

The ABS code can happen from a simple smog test, the rear wheels are running on the dyno and the fronts are stationary. The dash light usually clears quickly, but, the stored code may remain in the memory.
Old 03-02-2011 | 04:52 PM
ace996
Instructor

I really appreciate all the help.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
The last range two over speed was way more than 50 hours ago and the ignition attempts not so many. So I wouldn't worry so much about it.

If the car checks all the other boxes I would check it out.

What I want to know is what is the fault code for valve lift and why they haven't deleted those codes. Do you have them?
I have the whole DME printout. Where would I find those fault codes?
Thanks again.
-TomK
Old 03-02-2011 | 05:01 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

pm sent
Old 03-02-2011 | 05:10 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in NJ
Is there an easily found explanation somewhere on how to read/interpret this report? If so, where?
If you search in here for "over revs", "dme readout", or similar terms, you will find lots of threads. Not being a smart *** here, but by reading the different threads, you will get a good idea of the general terms and meanings... and ranges themselves.

But beware, these searches turn up amazing and varying results, and you might get caught up spending lots of time in a never-ending string.
Old 03-02-2011 | 07:01 PM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
But beware, these searches turn up amazing and varying results, and you might get caught up spending lots of time in a never-ending string.
Yep. That's what I was trying to avoid by asking about an easily found reference resource.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-02-2011 | 07:34 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FFaust
If you search in here for "over revs", "dme readout", or similar terms, you will find lots of threads. Not being a smart *** here, but by reading the different threads, you will get a good idea of the general terms and meanings... and ranges themselves.

Originally Posted by Mike in NJ
Yep. That's what I was trying to avoid by asking about an easily found reference resource.
Thanks,
Mike
Got it gents here you go.

The over rev report from the VAL is used to help evaluating overrev events of the engine, that could have damaged unit parts due to high engine speed.
Also it is intended to help you evaluate engine damage, which may occur as a result of one or more overspeed events, Porsche also uses this information to improve the assessment process for granting pre-owned car warranties and to examine entitlements for carrying out repairs under warranty.

Engines are designed to operate at a maximum permitted speed. This engine speed is not exceeded when the car is driven normally. However, driving and operating problems (e.g. “changing to the wrong gear” on vehicles with manual transmission) or manipulation (e.g. tuning) can cause the maximum permitted engine speed to be exceeded.

Overrev events are stored in the DME control unit.

The following values are recorded:

- Number of ignition attempts in each overrev range

- Status of the hour-meter during the last overrev event

- Total hour - meter

In the 6GT3 we have two over rev ranges:

range one is from the rev limiter plus 600rpm
and range two from 8800 to infinity..

Depending on the range and the number of ignition attempts (* btw note that from the number of ignition attempts and the known rpms, we can determine for how long the engine was revving in that particular range) and the difference between the current hour meter and the status when the last overrev event was recorded (50 hours are considered okay but not definitive) we can decide if an engine damage was possible, probable etc.

On the newer DMEs of the 997/987 series, events are logged in more than two ranges adding accuracy to the evaluation process.

Ranges are 6 instead of 2.

(Also note that is reported that in some 6GT3's recorded values were the wrong way, so if you just bounced the rev limiter it recorded them in range 2 instead of range 1. _)

Hope that helps.
Old 03-02-2011 | 09:24 PM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Got it gents here you go.
Awesome info, thanks so much. How could we know if the DME was one of the 'reversed' ones? Meaning, perhaps the type1/2 overrevs of this specific car are reversed?

I am not happy about the fact that there is the type 2 overrev, however long it was for (?how long is that I don't know).
The other strange thing is that the car appears to have an average speed of 19.3mph? (7500miles / 388 hours of operation).
Could a car such as this really have an average operating speed of under 20 mph? This may indicate an odometer roll-back/reflash, yes?

I'd feel better with the CPO but I am concerned that if I ever needed drivetrain/engine work under the warrantee, that a dealer would not honor the warrantee. It appears that in this post, https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ighlight=Rizza

follow-up here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ighlight=Rizza , there was an issue with the prior overrev when warrantee work was needed....I do not need to deal with the rage management that would be required with such a situation.

Thanks all,
TomK
Old 03-02-2011 | 10:03 PM
mikemdd
Racer

While your "average speed" calculation may be mathmatically correct, it really has no meaning. Hours of operation is how long the engine was running. This includes all the time from startup, to idling in the garage, backing out of the garage, sitting at a light, etc. etc. I have an hour meter on my boat, which has no relationship to actual distance travelled, as example.

I would be interested in the math for determining how to know the time the engine was reving at each range, as noted above.
Old 03-02-2011 | 11:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikemdd
While your "average speed" calculation may be mathmatically correct, it really has no meaning. Hours of operation is how long the engine was running. This includes all the time from startup, to idling in the garage, backing out of the garage, sitting at a light, etc. etc. I have an hour meter on my boat, which has no relationship to actual distance travelled, as example.

I would be interested in the math for determining how to know the time the engine was reving at each range, as noted above.
Not necessarily true the average speed calculation has no meaning.

Not a few owners or current owners have had this hours of operation read and the average speed based on the odometer's reading comes in at around 30mph or higher in some cases when the car is used for longer trips/drives.

But when the average speed drops below 30mph alarms sound. How lound they sound depends upon how far below.

One always would like to see some evidence that the mileage is correct.

Servicing records that show reasonable and reasonably progressing miles at each service. Or at least a CarFax report that doesn't show any obvious mileage descrepancies.

If the car has no service records or CarFax is inclusive...

Odometer tamper is common, common enough one must guard against being a victim of it by buying a car that has had its odometer tampered with.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 2004 GT3 Type 2 Overrevs