Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Schroth harnesses vs Generic clip-in. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default GT3 Schroth harnesses vs Generic clip-in. Opinions?

Dear GT3 Illuminati,

Help me out here (again),

I'm trying to decide between GT3 specific harnesses (with loops on the end) vs generic clip-in variety. This is intended for a handful of DE's per year

I obviously appreciate the more elegant GT3 specific solution with the loops, but being 2 or 3 times more costly than "domestic" clip-in belts, I'm questioning the expense/value given the little use they will actually get.

I believe the sub belts on the GT3 specific arrangement always stay in place. How about the lap belts? Do the loops permit them to be quickly clipped off the lugs or do they have to be unscrewed off? Does anyone have a close-up pic of the loop on lug?

Thanks in advance for all insight and opinions (as usual).

David
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Oem 6 points if you have oem buckets side brackets and a cage require no other hardware and do keep the car looking oem.
The oem 6p lap belts always stay unless you unscrew them.
Aftermarket belts which are identical but don’t have the specific hardware are cheaper because you pay directly without the Porsche part number and price.., but you have to buy hardware to make them work.
There is no right and wrong in the type of belts you d choose, but rather on their quality and most importantly proper installation..
Old 02-03-2011, 08:44 PM
MTB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3 Euro seat is wide and there is not enough room to install an I-bolt for snap in hardware.
The Schroth GT3 belt is $150 more expensive because of the specific hardware that it can bolt directly to OEM euro seat. However, there are schroth hardwares available that you can buy for less than $10 to allow direct bolt on to GT3 seat.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...lt-in-brackets

Per belt you will need 1xB24, 1xS65, 1xS82.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,857 Likes on 2,395 Posts

many ppl asked this Q.
the real answer is you need a good race mechanic. none of them will tell you to get the $150 more GT3 specific schroth. the regular schroth goes on the seat just find. any decent mechanic would know how to fit this thing on to any seat. and most race shops do not use the B&K adapters to hook the belts on. you just need eye bolts and regular bolts. REALLY.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:44 AM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i got a nice set of "regular" schroth 6 pt harnesses in red with BK hardware to make it all work on the 996 GT3 euro seats, if you're interested i can give you a package deal
Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Personally I am NOT a fan (neither is my engineer) of bolting the lap belts to the seat. Mine are anchored to the frame. Either have eyelets welded in or use the BK pieces that can be insterted UNDER the seat rail bolts to allow for clip on.

Besides, the OEM 6pt Schorth belts don't come in 2/3 HANS shoulders. Also, they only come in red.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

+1 one the HANS remark Dell.
I also think that using the chassis as a mounting point is a better choice and many clubs accept only that.
However mounting belts on seat side mounts and rails is ok and tested by Porsche only when oem porsche rails are used.
On the contrary I wouldn’t do it using Recaro rails or similar, as they are not approved for that.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MTB
GT3 Euro seat is wide and there is not enough room to install an I-bolt for snap in hardware.
The Schroth GT3 belt is $150 more expensive because of the specific hardware that it can bolt directly to OEM euro seat. However, there are schroth hardwares available that you can buy for less than $10 to allow direct bolt on to GT3 seat.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...lt-in-brackets

Per belt you will need 1xB24, 1xS65, 1xS82.
Awesome information. Scrutinized it thoroughly. Thanks so much for that! Seriously looking into those bits.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
The oem 6p lap belts always stay unless you unscrew them.
That settles that. So no real advantage to the GT3 specific loop ends as far as quick removal goes.

Originally Posted by mooty
many ppl asked this Q.
the real answer is you need a good race mechanic. none of them will tell you to get the $150 more GT3 specific schroth. the regular schroth goes on the seat just find. any decent mechanic would know how to fit this thing on to any seat. and most race shops do not use the B&K adapters to hook the belts on. you just need eye bolts and regular bolts. REALLY.
Music to my frugal ears. Combined with MTB's info up top... I feel like i am getting somewhere here.

Originally Posted by ex10psi
well, i got a nice set of "regular" schroth 6 pt harnesses in red with BK hardware to make it all work on the 996 GT3 euro seats, if you're interested i can give you a package deal
I will PM you for details. Thanks for the offer. Are the ends of the regular Schroth lap belt ends sewn in? HMS hardware referenced above by MTB appeal to me.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

right on rails. i always use oem rails, very $$$ vs. recaro rails.

on my race cars, eyebolts are welded to chassis. but on dual purpose car for most ppl, they are afraid to weld to tub. i WAS like that too.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:47 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Do the 6-3 cars have factory mounting bolt holes behind the carpet for eye bolts to hook 5 or 6 point belts to? I was feeling through the carpet by pushing my finger along the carpet but couldn't find any evidence of such. How are harnesses attached w/o having to drill into the frame? What about the sub attachment?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Silly me. I called Apex and got new harnesses and they bolted right in and I'm delighted. New NECKSGEN REV as well.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:50 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Do the 6-3 cars have factory mounting bolt holes behind the carpet for eye bolts to hook 5 or 6 point belts to? I was feeling through the carpet by pushing my finger along the carpet but couldn't find any evidence of such. How are harnesses attached w/o having to drill into the frame? What about the sub attachment?

Thanks
The lap belts go to existing belt mounting holes for the 3-point shoulder belt that comes with the car. The anti-sub belts go to a cross bar (shown below in black) that you mount under the seat. It's available from Suncoast if you want the real GT3 part, or from Brey-Krause if you would prefer an aftermarket one that will also mount a fire extinguiser. Here's the OEM part:

Old 10-20-2014, 11:22 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Silly me. I called Apex and got new harnesses and they bolted right in and I'm delighted. New NECKSGEN REV as well.
Metoo
Old 10-20-2014, 11:55 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks Guys... The pic is very helpful. So the belts mount to the seat side frame (silver side mounts) and not the frame of the car? I somehow imagined that was not as safe as attaching directly to the car.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:10 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by christallon

Thanks
no

Quick Reply: GT3 Schroth harnesses vs Generic clip-in. Opinions?