Sponsored by:

GT3-> Radical

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
Honestly, the car scares me a bit. I'm going into turns at like 20 mph faster then I'm used to and scaring myself. I heard that if you go off it's like 1000$
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2we_...eature=related
Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and drive with my eyes closed too.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

I totally understand, but the invite stands. Whenever you want dude. If you rent a radical you'll drop the GT3 like a hot potato Don't get me wrong I love and miss my 3
Thanks again and yes, ^^^ that is what I am worried about.

Really, the only "preventer" to this happening yet is that I enjoy the whole P car tracking environment so much: Like-minded people; similar cars; well organized; lots of available events.

I am still unaware of a/the sport racer scene, but I'm sure it's there. It's just a matter of time until I discover it. Heck, 18 months ago I was unaware of the P car track scene...
Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

and drive with my eyes closed too.
Hey, if it works for you, lol.

I can just imagine the mental challenge to transition from mechanical grip to aero in total abandonment as Ken said above (literary license here). But you know it's there, you just have to trust the force... says the guy sitting comfortably behind his computer keyboard
Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Time to wear out the multi-quote here............

I wish I could say a couple tenths but really its like .5s on a 3.1 mi course (SM). I don't think it's that bad and I'm not pretending to be a pro. But that was in my GT3 and they extended the course and am still getting used to the new section which may have something to do with it.

I think it's more the braking then the aero. I'm still getting used to them, I know that's a poor excuse but combined with the new turns it's certainly a factor.

The gear thing may be a factor now that I think about it, I often find my self in the wrong gear. I got a big and bright gear indicator so that is helping in that respect ( I have the paddles)
Is this .5, as in half-a-second, or five seconds? .5, can't worry about it. Five, well then you just pick your spots to incrementally work up. And make sure you're consistent in where you are to form a baseline. Say you were at Thunderhill--until you were running dead predictable 1:55's, consistent in each turn, I'd avoid working you quicker. I'd bet that I could get you to 1:52 by the end of the day. 1:50 (that's kind of my bogey-time with the 1.3L car) would probably mean you'd be over-braking or tentative in two turns, but keeping up everywhere else.

I don't think so
I'll see if I can find the thread I posted on. It was in the last month.

Honestly, the car scares me a bit. I'm going into turns at like 20 mph faster then I'm used to and scaring myself. I heard that if you go off it's like 1000$
One things these cars should NOT do is scare anyone. They can be driven meekly (but what's the point), or hustled with abandon (which isn't necessarily going to be quick). They're very predictable. But an off is an off. I've had one in the ~100 hours of time on mine. The nose still shows the scar. (Massive understeer off of T2 at Thunderhill from running heat cycled out tires.)

Anyway, you shouldn't be thinking "speed" when you're out on track. I don't. Yeah, you're 20-30 MPH faster in any given corner. But I'm braking it down to a rhythm. Accelerate to a known braking point, brake, turn in, gas, exit. Now, if you're feeling it at 1.7-2.0g, sure it feels different, but the body gets used to it.

I totally understand, but the invite stands. Whenever you want dude. If you rent a radical you'll drop the GT3 like a hot potato Don't get me wrong I love and miss my 3
I go from the Radical to the Spec Miata to the faux 993RS to (formerly) the near-stock RS America (sometimes the 910) within a couple of hours usually. All present different challenges. The Radical is far and away the easiest to drive within a couple of seconds of its potential, the Spec Miata the most difficult.

(Edit: missed the right quote on this one, I'm sure you can figure it out.)

Originally Posted by FFaust
Hey, if it works for you, lol.

I can just imagine the mental challenge to transition from mechanical grip to aero in total abandonment as Ken said above (literary license here). But you know it's there, you just have to trust the force... says the guy sitting comfortably behind his computer keyboard
This is where you just trust what's done before. Either you look at data and see that "Turn X" has been done by entering at 125, braking at the 2, and apex speed of 110.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by race911
Is this .5, as in half-a-second, or five seconds? In my GT3 .5-1s consistently

I'll see if I can find the thread I posted on. It was in the last month. Thanks

One things these cars should NOT do is scare anyone. I just don't want to break my new toy...

Anyway, you shouldn't be thinking "speed" when you're out on track. Bad habit from before i had a lap timer. I see how fast I'm entering/exiting a corner, I changed dashes to the stock radical from the racepac IQ3 since the IQ3 is out for repairs so I don't have a lap timer or speedo so that will help. I shouldn't time myself and make myself a mental case.

Accelerate to a known braking point, brake, turn in, gas, exit. Now, if you're feeling it at 1.7-2.0g, sure it feels different, but the body gets used to it. Braking is my weakness. I'm having trouble getting a feel for the brakes, I don't know why. I don't know what G's I'm pulling (when I get it right) but I feel like I've been in a bar brawl the next day. Especially my ribs.

I go from the Radical to the Spec Miata to the faux 993RS to (formerly) the near-stock RS America (sometimes the 910) within a couple of hours usually. All present different challenges. The Radical is far and away the easiest to drive within a couple of seconds of its potential, the Spec Miata the most difficult. I can imagine, I've driven a few Sm's and it's a challenge for me since' I'm used to GT3 power.

This is where you just trust what's done before. Either you look at data and see that "Turn X" has been done by entering at 125, braking at the 2, and apex speed of 110. Good advice.
See bold above
Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM
va122
Drifting

Ken I find myself trailbraking, either out of habit or what but I'm not sure it's right.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Ken I find myself trailbraking, either out of habit or what but I'm not sure it's right.
Sure, trailbraking is a technique. Pull it back to straight line and work from there. Fast footwork is absolutely critical when you get to purpose built racers, and that's where I feel myself "slowing down" as I near 50. So if you can get it all done braking straight and quickly, quickly transition to at least maintenance throttle you'll get a feel for how the chassis transitions into the apex. From there, it's throttle down and off toward the exit you go.

This is where sometimes the tracks we run are too long. I was with a new guy at Thunderhill, a friend who was out of cars for a long time racing bikes. So after nearly killing himself a couple of times he's having a PRC GTL 911 built. The whole track is just too big to demonstrate some techniques. If we had a ~45 second lap with 4-6 45-80 MPH turns we could just practice, practice, practice and accomplish so much more.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 AM
va122
Drifting

ok straight line it is, I need to work on my braking as it is, no need to complicate it with trailing. I'm just so used to the 911 platform.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

ok straight line it is, I need to work on my braking as it is, no need to complicate it with trailing. I'm just so used to the 911 platform.
If all you've driven is a 996, you have no idea what the 911 platform is or from where it was born. Seriously, try your hand at a 2.2S with 225's all around. I just laugh at myself when I think I was 18 and had a 2.0S in a '68 with 185 XWX recaps and didn't wreck the car or injure/kill myself where I was usually screwing around with it--on dirt. (Wannabe rally driver is where I started with this racing thing.)
Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or try learning how to make a street 356 with its 165's go fast. All early 911's were, and more so. An exhilarating experience.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 AM
va122
Drifting

Before my GT3 I've been tracking M3's since 95 so I've had some experience with other platforms, but I've been in the GT3 for 4 years now. I have no experience in older 911s but i can certanly respect anyone who can make an older car go fast. You get spoiled in the newer cars
Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 PM
va122
Drifting

Secured a coach for this weekend! Cant wait to learn to drive the thing.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 PM
va122
Drifting

Update: So I'm at the track now with my coach and he completely revamped my braking. No more trailing the brake into the corner. Brake in a straight line like Ken said and then OFF the brake, turn in let the car roll to the apex and nail the throttle and track out. Sounds so simple but it was worth a whopping 6 seconds!! I'm barely brushing the brake now instead of parking the car before the corner. The cars are so light you don't need much brake at all. Makes all the difference.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:14 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Hey, I want a commission!

Wish there were more Radicals up here. They're not that tough to get the hang of, nor hustle around. All about trusting the car.

Quick Reply: GT3-> Radical