Sponsored by:

Limited slip life

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011 | 05:55 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Q&A
I think the tolerance is a minimum of 15Nm (if i am not mistaken) and mine had 16 or something (maybe i am off 1Nm)
This means: Take one drive shaft off, connect the torque wrench to the differential and turn the opposite wheel. The torque wrench should be set at 15Nm and if it does not get to that amount, your Diff is not transferring enough of the movement from one drive shaft to the other.
Actually 15Nm is the max preload number you usually see when these are new..

Do +1000klm in a track and if you measure more than 0 to 3Nm I am paying for your rebuild.

So now tell us who had your car before so we can laugh a bit with his driving : )
Old 02-02-2011 | 08:42 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Mine is being replaced now. Lasted 24k miles with a mix of track and street use.
Old 02-03-2011 | 05:47 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

The Porsche Centre did the test for me and i looked while they did it. They told me the diff was still in good shape. I clearly must have mixed up the numbers in my previous post but it was within the tolerance Porsche uses.
Old 02-03-2011 | 08:46 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

At 50,000 miles and some track time in there too, expect the limited slip aspect is worn out.

We have a lengthy thread on this topic. The Porsche AG workshop manual test for the LSD is a bench test and the in car test is a good indicator of the pre-load torque. The LSD is set up to work correctly under hard loading.

Agree that preload goes down way too fast, not a good deal for us.
Old 02-09-2011 | 01:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Q&A
The Porsche Centre did the test for me and i looked while they did it. They told me the diff was still in good shape. I clearly must have mixed up the numbers in my previous post but it was within the tolerance Porsche uses.
Yeah, Porsche's official position on it is the LSD is within spec if it's 3Nm or more. I respectfully disagree with their official position.

And to all you talking about me in this thread, you need to stop. It's going to go to my head and the last thing we need is another P-car vendor who thinks he's all that.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-09-2011 | 10:52 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Mine died at less than 10,000 miles but it worked fine under throttle. The problem was under braking the car was all over the place so I rebuilt the lsd last year with Cup internals and all has been well since. Very noticeable straight line braking improvement.
Old 02-10-2011 | 02:31 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave S
Mine died at less than 10,000 miles but it worked fine under throttle. The problem was under braking the car was all over the place so I rebuilt the lsd last year with Cup internals and all has been well since. Very noticeable straight line braking improvement.
Mine was the same. Under braking the rear end would wander. Now it's dead straight.

Chris, buy that "Pilot" diff yet?
Old 02-10-2011 | 11:53 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Mine was the same. Under braking the rear end would wander. Now it's dead straight.

Chris, buy that "Pilot" diff yet?
LOL, no not yet. I'll try to get a free one under warranty first. I'm looking for 2011 sponsors.....any takers? Your logo here!!

Quick Reply: Limited slip life