Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eibach 600/800 street/track
Old 04-09-2011, 02:46 AM
MTB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BealeAss
What kind of springs do you guys suggest f I do the revalve and add some fun?
I do have a set of 550#/650# HR springs for sale. PM if you are interested.

thx

Mike
Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 AM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What is the max spring rate we can use with the stock valving? As per my searches, it seems many believe the car to be overdamped...which should allow the use of a little stiffer springs without the re-valve.
Thanks,
TomK
Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 96 Posts

K guys these are heading back tomorrow. I'm going to keep the springs as is for the time being.

Does anyone absolutely know the stock specs???
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

OK so, bringing this thread back up cause frankly, it's always relevant...

Just to be sure that I understand, there are two "reasons" to send shocks to Bilstein: Revalve, and Refresh, right?

- So then, you need to "revalve" only if you change the springs, correct? Assuming everything was "matched" to begin. This assures that everything works in harmony.
- The other reason is to "refresh" the seals, fluid, and any wear items, correct?

My setup was ok, but now has 20,000 hard miles. Is it safe to assume that it would be a good idea to send my dampers off to Bilstein for a refresh?

My home track is very bumpy, but I don't have the money for the multi-way adjustable setup that would be ideal when I go from track to track.

Oh, my shocks are from a cup car.

Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Revalve

FFaust so yes to the benefits of revalving the last time I did this was when I converted from the stock springs to a 700/900lb set up .Given what you say about what I assume is a bunch of tracktime(just like me!)and that your shocks are Cup car shocks I would say you should run those shocks out to whoever manufactures them .I am sure the refresh cycle on the Cup shocksis like everything else on the cup car and you are probably way past the time for maintenance.Off hand I have no idea if Bilstein is the maker of those shocks and wouldn't be surprised if there were several manufacturers .Of course I am sure they are rebuildable!cheers HOM
Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Bilstein rebuild info (link)
Old 12-13-2011, 05:40 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
One of the best bang-for-the-buck mods you can make to these cars regardless of whether you change your spring rates....
Trying to understand the benefit John. Sorry if it's obvious, but is this benefit because you go from a street/mixed-use valving to a track-biased valving?

Originally Posted by Horizontally Opposed Man
FFaust so yes to the benefits of revalving the last time I did this was when I converted from the stock springs to a 700/900lb set up .Given what you say about what I assume is a bunch of tracktime(just like me!)and that your shocks are Cup car shocks I would say you should run those shocks out to whoever manufactures them .I am sure the refresh cycle on the Cup shocksis like everything else on the cup car and you are probably way past the time for maintenance.Off hand I have no idea if Bilstein is the maker of those shocks and wouldn't be surprised if there were several manufacturers .Of course I am sure they are rebuildable!cheers HOM
Thanks HOM, and yeah, about 85% track, so probably past their prime.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:59 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

At ~25,000 miles (total - way less track miles), my shocks were completely toast. I expect the same from you.

If I were in your shoes, then I'd consider 700/800 and getting the shocks refreshed and revalved to match. You should notice a difference next spring.

Cheers,
Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Allan, I agree.

Is there a way to know if you shocks are toast, or is it a matter of getting it done and then realizing afterward how bad they were?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:42 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I really felt the bounce-bounce-bounce in a couple places on the track and then I let a pro drive - he agreed the shocks were gone.

With new motons and springs, everything tightened right up and I now have more confidence in high speed turns. The car was a bit "floaty" before and now it's more predictable because the suspension settles down faster. I don't know if I'm using the right words, but once you go through the process, you'll understand.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks again Allan, you are absolutely using the right words. I get the picture, cause that's how I feel.

Drove the car on the street a bit between the track season and putting it away for the winter, and the car literally wanted to jump off the road when it got rough.

Also, this summer, I came back to Mosport (bumpy) after spending a month at Tremblant and Calabogie (very smooth both), and felt like the car was all over the place. The opposite of being "confidence inspiring".

I'm still kicking myself for not getting one of our local racers to drive my car late in the year. He came out with me as a passenger, but it wasn't until I got home that night that I realized the missed opportunity

Quick Reply: revalving shocks