Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6GT3 hibernation mods/maintenance suggestions please...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010 | 05:20 PM
Number54
Racer

Default 6GT3 hibernation mods/maintenance suggestions please...

I brought my GT3 across the pond to Switzerland, where it is hibernating, eagerly awaiting next season.

I can't handle it just sitting there, all sad, in a big garage equiped with a pit. I need to do something to satisfy my mod bug...

But the only thing I really don't like about the car is the shifer.

So I plan on getting a 997 GT3 shift console with the EVOMS shift linkage. Opinions? I don't want to mess with the Cup cables I've read about.

I'm tempted to get a set of black Rennline non-rubber pedals. Any good?

Also, I want some mesh inserts for the front bumper, thinking about cargraphic black ones. Go for it? I also saw a "radiator conversion" on the cargraphic site, with scoops and hoses for brake cooling. Do those really help? Better or worse than cup brake ducts?

I have a pair of DeMan front rotors, those are going on. What kind of brake servicing would be good to do while I'm at it?

What would be advisable maintenance? What would be a nice aesthetic upgrade?

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2010 | 05:46 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

I have only done a couple of the items you list, so here are my .02

Originally Posted by Number54
So I plan on getting a 997 GT3 shift console with the EVOMS shift linkage. Opinions?
Like, except for the shift linkage; not necessary IMO.

I'm tempted to get a set of black Rennline non-rubber pedals.
Like. I installed a set recently. (link) (link2)

I've been thinking about the radiator grills. Please post back when/if you do the install with your thoughts.
Old 12-13-2010 | 05:54 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

What made you choose the pedal set without the rubber inserts? Just curious..
Old 12-13-2010 | 06:07 PM
Number54
Racer

Originally Posted by cfjan
What made you choose the pedal set without the rubber inserts? Just curious..
Experience, hehe The rubber slips when wet. It's especially bad with oil/fuel/water mix. Also, the rubber bits can come off over time (well known issue with AWE pedals). Seriously, pedals with rubber bits should be sold with a shoe rag They're dangerous.
Old 12-13-2010 | 06:20 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

I brought my GT3 across the pond to Switzerland, where it is hibernating, eagerly awaiting next season.

I can't handle it just sitting there, all sad, in a big garage equiped with a pit. I need to do something to satisfy my mod bug...

But the only thing I really don't like about the car is the shifer.

So I plan on getting a 997 GT3 shift console with the EVOMS shift linkage. Opinions? I don't want to mess with the Cup cables I've read about.

I'm tempted to get a set of black Rennline non-rubber pedals. Any good?

Also, I want some mesh inserts for the front bumper, thinking about cargraphic black ones. Go for it? I also saw a "radiator conversion" on the cargraphic site, with scoops and hoses for brake cooling. Do those really help? Better or worse than cup brake ducts?

I have a pair of DeMan front rotors, those are going on. What kind of brake servicing would be good to do while I'm at it?

What would be advisable maintenance? What would be a nice aesthetic upgrade?

Thanks.

As much as I like and use Cargraphic's products the" radiator conversion" set they sell is way too expensive and I have told them so..
However this kind of mod is one of the best mods that you can do to the 6GT3 and you can do it with less money. (You can read more here front bumper modand also do a search in the older threads)
About feeding more air to the front brakes again less expensive ways exist.
Aka fitting bigger brake ducts.

If you decide to do the front aero upgrade then you can also to the bigger RS wing in the back and fit 4deg shimms and then you got yourself a better looking and "form follows function" better performing car.

For shifters I banned myself for further comments for 3 months. People think I am crazy

I really like the SRP pedals. I respect real R&D even if it is only for pedals..SRP has even done friction level tests on them..

Now other RLs will help you spend more money.. : )
Old 12-13-2010 | 06:20 PM
Number54
Racer

Originally Posted by SH || NC
I have only done a couple of the items you list, so here are my .02

Like, except for the shift linkage; not necessary IMO.

Like. I installed a set recently. (link) (link2)

I've been thinking about the radiator grills. Please post back when/if you do the install with your thoughts.
Thx.

No shift linkage? Are the rumors about people getting stranded due to the stock linkage breaking not true? Did you use a centering device to align the shifter? My last shifter upgrade took some time to align right (even with a magnetic angle measurer), and I almost hit something when reverse engaged 1st gear!

Your pedal setup is exactly what I was thinking, black with heel/toe extension. Do you have the throttle height adjuster? Needed?

Also, how does the track mat attach? You're just missing that perforated floorboard piece to have all the Rennline bits. Any reason you didn't do the floorboard? Does anyone think I should just get it all at once?

Will post when I do the grills. Unless someone tells me it's a really bad idea, I'm doing it... I'm ordering the alcantara center console lid from cargraphic to match my rennsport package anyway
Old 12-13-2010 | 07:40 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Thx.

No shift linkage? Are the rumors about people getting stranded due to the stock linkage breaking not true? Did you use a centering device to align the shifter? My last shifter upgrade took some time to align right (even with a magnetic angle measurer), and I almost hit something when reverse engaged 1st gear!

Your pedal setup is exactly what I was thinking, black with heel/toe extension. Do you have the throttle height adjuster? Needed?

Also, how does the track mat attach? You're just missing that perforated floorboard piece to have all the Rennline bits. Any reason you didn't do the floorboard? Does anyone think I should just get it all at once?

Will post when I do the grills. Unless someone tells me it's a really bad idea, I'm doing it... I'm ordering the alcantara center console lid from cargraphic to match my rennsport package anyway
I can’t speak to the rumors of shifters breaking. I’ve never experienced it nor seen anyone else in the 996 realm experience it, but, my experience and those I have been around at the track, we aren’t a terribly fast or talented group, except for Dell.

I haven’t used the alignment tool; just done by feel with no problems.

I do have the pedal height adjuster. I haven’t practiced H&T much with the setup, but the extenders bring the pedals plenty close; I had to be extra careful when coming into the braking zones at my last event. My thought process was, if I am installing new pedals, just go ahead and get the whole shootin match and install the height adjuster while I am in there; I hate working in the driver footwell, so do it once and then do minimal tweaks as necessary.

The track mat lays flat on the factory carpeted floor board. It fits just right and doesn’t shift around when driving. They provide a couple strips (IIRC) of Velcro if you want to secure it that way; I don’t use it.

I didn’t see a need for the floor board piece.
Old 12-13-2010 | 09:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Shiftlink can strip off if u manhandle the 2-3 upshift under high loading. Never popped one at the street but I'm a wuss on the street. Mike
Old 12-13-2010 | 10:21 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Loved the Rennline track mats in my 997 but the left one doesn't fit in the 3, so I ordered another. Also just ordered this while I'm saving my pennies for the big wing ;-)

BTW, both Rennline and SRP are running specials for the holidays.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2010 | 12:15 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

What do you mean that the Rennline track mat does not fit the 3??
Old 12-14-2010 | 12:37 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, the 997 L/H mat does not fit the 996. Different part number.

996 P/N: L/H TM07, R/H TM08
997 P/N: L/H TM09, R/H TM08
Old 12-14-2010 | 01:41 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Sorry, the 997 L/H mat does not fit the 996. Different part number.

996 P/N: L/H TM07, R/H TM08
997 P/N: L/H TM09, R/H TM08
You just need one of these:

Old 12-14-2010 | 09:03 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Damn, never thought of that. Would have saved me $100.
Old 12-14-2010 | 09:27 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am giving my 3 a thorough cleaning, replacing a few tarnished Cadmium bits, and adding the Europipe exhaust system. I will also replace the serpine belt and air filter. Once the back end is set, I will move to the rollbar and harness install. Last, I will pull the front bumper and clean the radiators and install bumper screens. I have until March.

Old 12-14-2010 | 10:12 AM
joeycannoli
Racer

Loving that scissor lift! Any information on it? How do you like it?

Quick Reply: 6GT3 hibernation mods/maintenance suggestions please...