Sponsored by:

Oil Sending Unit..

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil Sending Unit..

I have had the "Oil Failure" sign come on a few times in the past (and the oil pressure gauge would drop to 0 and then come back up, and sometimes up and down a few times in a row). From reading the forum, I know that it is likely the oil sending unit issue. Since it was not mechanically affecting the car, and it shows up kind of only at random, I just let it be.

Anyway, my CPO is about to expire, so I scheduled an appointment w/ the local Porsche dealer, mentioned to them about the situation. Took the car in today. The service adviser took the car to the shop and back in a couple of minutes, said that it is the oil sending unit (I'm quite impressed!) and said that they will have to order the unit, asked me to bring the car back next week, and they will have a loaner for me.

I'm really impressed w/ the service. I don't service my car there but they identify the problem quickly (and I'm guessing accurately) and set the whole thing up in 5 minutes for next week, all covered under warranty.

So my prop to Hoffman Porsche at CT!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:39 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Good to hear about the thumbs up.

But it’s so common that even dealers are now trained to recognize that problem immediately.
Besides it’s a cheap and quick fix.

John
Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, still, good services.. !! Didn't give me crap about tracking the car, or who does the maintenance, etc. (I do what I can at home)
Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I love it when the dealership tries to give you the guilt trip about not having brought the car in for the "required" maintenance. Hmm, 4000 miles in 4 years-- so, 4 oil changes & a couple of brake fluid flushes. Plus all the "check" items. I'm more than certain I do a better job changing the oil than they do because it's my car and I give a crap. Same goes for flushing/bleeding the brakes. To them it's just another unit to charge for--- get it done & get it out. Anyone who has the competence & facilities at home to do the maintenance will always do a better job than the dealership because it's their car.
At least that's my experience, YMMV...

Quick Reply: Oil Sending Unit..