Sponsored by:

Porsche Factory Warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Left Coast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Factory Warranty question

Am considering an '04 GT3 with approx. 30k miles and 9 months left on the factory warranty. No RMS leak replacement, or showing signs of leak, but no PPI yet. The private party seller assures me the warranty is transferable.

My question regards the transferability process of the warranty and, if possible, the extension of term. I'm concerned that while the RMS might be OK now that once the warranty is up, it'd start leaking, etc.

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of this?

Cheers!
Old 08-07-2010, 04:32 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Warranty is for the car not the driver. So it stays with the car.
About extension in Europe you can do it for up to 10 years. 1500 EUROS/year.
But service book must be stamped by Porsche and car should pass check every two years.
About USA i dont have a clue.

John
Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Left Coast
Intermediate

Thanks John (BTW, your pic is most excellent). Anyone know if in US the CPO warranty can be extended?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Left Coast
Am considering an '04 GT3 with approx. 30k miles and 9 months left on the factory warranty. No RMS leak replacement, or showing signs of leak, but no PPI yet. The private party seller assures me the warranty is transferable.

My question regards the transferability process of the warranty and, if possible, the extension of term. I'm concerned that while the RMS might be OK now that once the warranty is up, it'd start leaking, etc.

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of this?

Cheers!
Read up on CPO and its terms/conditions here:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned.../approved/faq/

Be sure which CPO warranty the car has. The older one or the newer one which first appeared in 2008. The newer warranty much better but may have more restrictions on its transferability.

You might want to call PCNA and speak with someone in customer service and get some reassurance which warranty the car has and if it transfers to you. Course this is just a phone conversation and ideally you'd want something in writing.

Or check with dealer and its service department. Service manager will need VIN I'm sure and should be able to call up and view the car's warranty coverage and advise you. I'd ask for a get a printout that gives any details about the type of CPO warranty and that it is in effect and up to what date, miles.

I'm not a CPO expert but I believe the car has all the CPO warranty it can ever have. 8 years, 100K miles from time car first put into service. I bought an 03 Turbo last June with 9500 miles what came with a CPO warranty (the new/improved one) that runs for 2 years until June 2011 and for 100K miles. I've added 30K miles the the car since I bought it - and had a few problems (noisy serpentine belt idler roller bearing, failed electric radator fan and radiator, and a leaking 6-speed transmission) -- all covered under warranty at around the 33.7K mile mark.

Now you may be able to add some aftermarket warranty ( via an extended service contract ) but I have no experience with any of the companies offering these, if any do.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Left Coast
Intermediate

Macster- perfect, exactly what I was looking for!

Quick Reply: Porsche Factory Warranty question