Write Up & Pics : 3rd DE With The GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Write Up & Pics : 3rd DE With The GT3

Setup:
+ stock GT3 (suspension, alignment, ride height) with Michelin Pilot Sports; ~70% tread remaining
+ PCCBs with PMNA Greens, Cup Ducts, SRF

This was my 3rd event in the GT3 and was the July 12-13 event with Carolinas PCA @ VIR Full. I had not planned to do this event but felt the need to get more seat time in the GT3 to boost my confidence and my capabilities.

The last event I did in the GT3 was this May @ VIR Full, and while I did OK, I was not focusing on the full lap / big picture and wound up overdriving my tires. I had a great time at the event, but didn’t make many strides with regard to improving my skills in the car.

For this event the registration was low; the run groups were combined and run times were bumped up accordingly; ~30min each session. Win.

Monday
+ First 2 runs; good, but still tentative in a few spots
+ 3rd run; consistent 225s
+ 4th, rain w/ DT

The 3nd session on Monday was the benchmarking session essentially. Dell told me I was running consistent times down to a tenth of a second. So while not necessarily quick @ 225, I value the consistency given this was only my 3rd event with the GT3 and I have been struggling to get comfortable.

The rain held off until about my 4th session on Monday. I went out with Dell in the right seat just to get a feel for the GT3 in the rain. I’ve been on track in the light and heavy rain before without much drama but I was getting into ABS even at moderate speeds in the GT3, and I didn’t feel like I was taking much away from the session so I came in early.

There was a 997 GT3 RS that I kept pace with on Monday. It was very fun to hear that motor, pass, and then give the point-by. She was very good. She walked away from me on Tuesday.

I felt good about Monday’s runs; I knew I was now consistent.

Tuesday
1; decent
2; decent
3; run w/ DT; 220
4; a couple of catches, but ran consistent 221s

Tuesday, I tried to nibble off a little more here, a little more there. I started managing my speeds and braking zones better (read: earlier) to avoid getting into ABS. The weather held off and it actually got sunny and hot.

For the 3rd session I asked Dell to go out with me for a couple problem areas. He worked with me on those, and I was stoked because everything was really clicking; a slightly different line, a later turn in, a little earlier into the throttle; that’s all there was to it IIRC.

After ~5 laps or so, he said over the communicator ‘…you just shaved 5 seconds off of yesterday’s time…’ We came into the paddock and my face hurt for a hour from the smiling. Thanks Dell!

I was hopeful I could replicate the times for the 4th and last session. I pushed it in a couple places as I was following a friend (on DOT Rs) and thusly made a couple of ‘catches’ . Overall though, I felt like the track was getting a little greasy in some spots so I refocused on being smooth. I came away with consistent 221s for the session, so I was very pleased.

In summary, after 3 events, I feel like I have found my comfort zone with the GT3, and I’m sure it will do nothing but get better with more and more seat time. At the risk of sounding cheesy, its plain f'ing awesome to feel dialed in with the car. I’m not just focusing on lap times, but it’s the only objective metric that I can use to gauge my progress I think.

Next planned event is November, but I may try to sneak in another one in early September before our first baby arrives. Only other upgrades planned is a set of NT-01s (Pilot Sports are wearing out), a HANs, and maybe an FE.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:20 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Cool... These cars are a blast on the track... VIR is a great place to let them stretch their legs and also safer than other tracks in the SE such as Road Atlanta etc. Sorry to hear about the rain, but that'll make you master car control, particularly in a 6GT3..

Don't wait. Get a HANS before your next event.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

SH\\NC- well if your interested I have a sharky mount with red firebottle that's is a bolt on to euro gt3 seats that I'm selling. Bottle never used- lol. If new it's $360. Regards. Mike
Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Scott, you did amazing out there! By far one of the easiest drivers to teach It's great to see somebody really progress like you have. Consistency, consistency, consistency. Never biting off more than you can and being as methodical as you have been approaching the track and this car, you are really learning this car the way it commands. One more event and you will be breaking into the teens!!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Martin_D
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did not know you moved up to the Gt3. See you on track sometime!

-Martin
Old 07-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Write Up & Pics : 3rd DE With The GT3