Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have a spare transmission (manual) for 03 996 tt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Nikkolaki
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have a spare transmission (manual) for 03 996 tt?

anyone have a spare low mileage manual transmission kicking around?

how can i be assured that the unit doesnt have a 2nd pop out issue?

if it turns out to have the issue, how does one fix it? is it simple?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a spare tranny for an 02' C2.. Not sure if it is the same as a turbo though? Condition is good but I'm going to have my shop look through it to see if anything needs done prior to selling. PM me if interested..
Old 07-05-2010, 11:43 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

C2/C4 and Twin Turbo gearboxes can't be swapped back and forth between cars. It has to do with the bolt pattern on the crankcase. The engines are different and mandate a different bell housing and bolt pattern for the gearbox.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Nikkolaki
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there any variations among 996 tt transmissions?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikkolaki
are there any variations among 996 tt transmissions?
There are differences at least in feel. I had the transmission in my 03 Turbo replaced just recently due to a leaking selector shaft seal and the new transmission's shifting is much smoother/quicker than the original transmission's shifting. I had thought the original transmission's shifting feel "normal" and no tech commented on the shifting when I had the car in for service.

But the new/replacement (probably not even new but a remanufacturered) transmission quite an improvement over the old one.

Whether this improvement the result of some transmission revision made during the model run or just the difference between one orignal and not so good transmission, a transmission with performance at the low end of what is acceptable, and one replacement transmission that left the factory either with a nominal level or perhaps an above par level of shifting performance I can't say.

Oh, the Porsche techs told me the Turbo transmission and the NA 996 transmission share some components -- at least selector seals and such -- and had the car not been under warranty they could have disassembled the transmission and fixed it. It was replaced though cause the car still under CPO warranty.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
There are differences at least in feel. I had the transmission in my 03 Turbo replaced just recently due to a leaking selector shaft seal and the new transmission's shifting is much smoother/quicker than the original transmission's shifting. I had thought the original transmission's shifting feel "normal" and no tech commented on the shifting when I had the car in for service.

But the new/replacement (probably not even new but a remanufacturered) transmission quite an improvement over the old one.

Whether this improvement the result of some transmission revision made during the model run or just the difference between one orignal and not so good transmission, a transmission with performance at the low end of what is acceptable, and one replacement transmission that left the factory either with a nominal level or perhaps an above par level of shifting performance I can't say.

Oh, the Porsche techs told me the Turbo transmission and the NA 996 transmission share some components -- at least selector seals and such -- and had the car not been under warranty they could have disassembled the transmission and fixed it. It was replaced though cause the car still under CPO warranty.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Macster and all,

here is a summary of gearboxes:

G96.00 & G96.01 - 996 Carrera.
G96.30 & G96.31 - 996 C4
G86 is the Boxster version of G96/00
/
G96.50 - turbo
G96.88 - GT2
G96.90 - GT3
G96.96 - GT3 2004
the last 4 have the old type (G50) bell housing bolt pattern, the first three have different pattern and cant be swapped

All operate with cable-shifters.

Btw 996 turbo in its life cycle had only one gearbox the .96 but had 3 different versions of it one for normal, one for x50 kit and one for x75. Also had different versions of cables and shifters. (short shifters etc)

Hope this helps.

John

Last edited by 911SLOW; 07-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone have a spare transmission (manual) for 03 996 tt?