Lotus Club, Thunderhill, 7/13/2010

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
You need one of these:

I'm seriously thinking of fabing a rack in the future.
My buddy and I did this for years. Rear hoosies from BOTH of our cars on the roof of his 993, each of us had fronts in the passenger seat with us

After my buddy wrecked at sears point (no surprise that a Porsche wrecks at that archaic unsafe hellhole) he gave me the rack and basket, maybe some day I will try it on my car too

Here is a picture of his car, all the wheels and the damage from sp the car destroyer, don't have one of the wheels on top
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2010, 12:45 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
After my buddy wrecked at sears point (no surprise that a Porsche wrecks at that archaic unsafe hellhole)
What, exactly, is "archaic" and "unsafe" about Sears? Even prior to the 1988ish improvements, let alone the later ones 10 or so years ago, there isn't too much to fault with respect to any other tracks that have pro racing. And we do know how laughable some of the "club" tracks end up being in one or two spots.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

sears demands respect, courage and faith.
it's not "unsafe". it just has many walls.
dont hit the walls and you will be fine.

Last edited by mooty; 06-13-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Sp a very rewarding track : ). Mike
Old 06-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
What, exactly, is "archaic" and "unsafe" about Sears? Even prior to the 1988ish improvements, let alone the later ones 10 or so years ago, there isn't too much to fault with respect to any other tracks that have pro racing. And we do know how laughable some of the "club" tracks end up being in one or two spots.
The lack of run off in nearly every turn is archaic and unsafe. The concrete walls that start immediately after the apex on the outside of 11, 2, 3, 3a, etc. The potential to spin and come back on track in another section (has happened before with both bikes and cars)

Go watch Le Mans with McQueen, see what a death trap it was. Now watch Le Mans this year- completely different safety level. Now watch racing at the point from the early 70s and today. Very little has changed. Why is there a wall right at 11? Would it be that hard to create a runoff area there? Why is there a a double wall with no runoff at the exit from the esses? In fact, why is there a big concrete wall at nearly every point on the track? Because it's dangerous and archaic.

FIA came to look at the track and said the runoff for 10 would have to extend beyond the road and into the land beyond it. Instead there's a wall right there. If you think it's safe drive there, I hope you don't get hurt

Every time I have been at sears someone has wrecked. Not the case at laguna or t hill. After doing this for 17 years I have opinions on what is acceptable risk, and what is just dangerous. Sears point is just plain dangerous.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, no one if forcing anyone to drive anywhere. I think 1978 was the first time I made it through the gates at Sears. Sure, seen plenty of carnage. Also did at Riverside, and that place was about as wide open as you could get. Rather have a wall you can see, or a rut you may hit and roll from? I'll say the first time I was belted into an Atlantic at PIR, the T1 wall on the oval was more intimidating than even Sears 8a prior to moving the hill back.

If every track were to the standards of Le Mans, etc. then I suppose the NIMBYs should have let Cougar Mountain progress, and the track would be housing and vineyards? (Where does that leave Nurburgring Nordschleife?)

In my final analysis, Mooty has the right outlook on the place.

Quick Reply: Lotus Club, Thunderhill, 7/13/2010