4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ex10psi
245 front, 315 rear. Love them nt01s!
same
Old 05-28-2010 | 03:59 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

I run the nt01s in 245/315 too. The tires show minimal wear after 3 track days and driving to/from the track. I'm getting lazy - I think I might just run my track wheels all the time...
Old 05-28-2010 | 04:28 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Surely this is a zero sum game though, if tyres last a lot longer then they are either harder and less sticky or you are driving slower on them?
Old 05-28-2010 | 08:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DanH
Surely this is a zero sum game though, if tyres last a lot longer then they are either harder and less sticky or you are driving slower on them?
Not the case with the Nitto. The compound is such that is doesn't have the stick of a MPSC but lasts more than twice as long and is consistent from HC #1 to the end. It is actually faster at the end before cording as it becomes a slick.
Old 05-28-2010 | 11:07 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DanH
Some times to be fast on track does not mean one needs the stickiest tires and the most expensive car.
Old 05-28-2010 | 12:53 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Not the case with the Nitto. The compound is such that is doesn't have the stick of a MPSC but lasts more than twice as long and is consistent from HC #1 to the end. It is actually faster at the end before cording as it becomes a slick.
right on the money...

the cups might have better stick but marginally better than nitto (or toyo's, i've tried RA1's and R888s) and considering the higher cost and shorter lifespan, forget it! if i want more stick, i'll go hoosiers
Old 05-28-2010 | 01:14 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Hoosiers certainly are yummy, but I still need to learn how to drive. Seems a waste to run R6 for a couple days with great stick in the corners when my line is off, I'm not looking ahead consistently enough, not cornering to the limit of the tires....and when no prize money is on the line.

After my last set of Hoosiers, I've managed to put down the crack pipe and am running Nittos again. I'll come back to Hoosiers after I learn how to drive.
Old 05-28-2010 | 01:28 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Cups have much more stick than Nittos and fractionally more than the Pirelli Corsas on my car at the moment. Too bad the Pirellis have been discontinued. I like 'em.

I don't like the Nittos at Tremblant at all.
Old 05-28-2010 | 01:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Hoosiers certainly are yummy, but I still need to learn how to drive. Seems a waste to run R6 for a couple days with great stick in the corners when my line is off, I'm not looking ahead consistently enough, not cornering to the limit of the tires....and when no prize money is on the line.

After my last set of Hoosiers, I've managed to put down the crack pipe and am running Nittos again. I'll come back to Hoosiers after I learn how to drive.
Allan hit the nail on the head. What is your goal when on track? Do you want to have more grip or do you want to learn? Nittos are the perfect balance of stick and forgiveness. As you move up that grip ladder, your margin for error decreases exponentially. If you are running track pads, then that rules out street tires as they will outbrake them. Nittos/RA1/R888 allow you to have enough grip to run track pads but not too much that you fail to learn the limits of the cars.

Until you can get to that place where you are correcting the car BEFORE it gets unstable (instead of reactive) you have zero business running more grip.
Old 05-28-2010 | 02:03 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Allan hit the nail on the head. What is your goal when on track? Do you want to have more grip or do you want to learn? Nittos are the perfect balance of stick and forgiveness. As you move up that grip ladder, your margin for error decreases exponentially. If you are running track pads, then that rules out street tires as they will outbrake them. Nittos/RA1/R888 allow you to have enough grip to run track pads but not too much that you fail to learn the limits of the cars.

Until you can get to that place where you are correcting the car BEFORE it gets unstable (instead of reactive) you have zero business running more grip.
I'd agree with what Dell says.
Old 05-28-2010 | 02:48 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

But how are you supposed to win your DE if you don't have the stickiest tires?

-td
Old 05-28-2010 | 03:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

raw talent my brutha!
Old 05-28-2010 | 04:08 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by himself

-td
Nitrous.
Old 05-28-2010 | 04:45 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by himself

-td
Seriously though, one of the local guys in his stock '04 GT3 with MPSCs really enjoyed passing Cup Cars on slicks at the Glen. Hardware doesn't make up for talent.
Old 05-28-2010 | 05:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Seriously though, one of the local guys in his stock '04 GT3 with MPSCs really enjoyed passing Cup Cars on slicks at the Glen. Hardware doesn't make up for talent.
Bingo! See post #27 for my agreement with that.

Quick Reply: Michelin cups