Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New brake rotor solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Would be great if they can do 2-piece floating at $800.. and replacement disc at $500 or something like that.. then even if you have to replace the hat once every 2 seasons, the price will still be reasonable and you get the performance of the 2-piece floating setup.

I think the Giro is around $1,100-1,200 for a pair..
Old 05-25-2010, 03:37 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cup ducts + track pads + good fluid + braking technique = flawless brakes in our cars.

Rotor type boils down to perceived performance differences wrt weight savings (I won't notice it, but an accomplished autoxer like Rad will probably want lightweight PCCB rotors vs boat-anchor Cayenne) and most importantly, cost/value for the rest of us mere mortals.

"Drilled" rotors like oem will crack right away under hard use. Too much difference in temp by those holes and away from the holes including metallurgical imperfections around the hole sites to promote cracking. You will always have a problem with those rotors.

Slotted don't suffer from these problems as much.

I'm not interested in two-piece rotors due to cost and then it's another part (very important part) I need to worry about....when should the hats be replaced as the bobbins wear the holes over time? Why would I want to think about those little bolts and making sure they are tight enough? My driving is nowhere near being able to take advantage of any other differences between floating rotors and 1-piece so the extra expense/maintenance doesn't make sense for me.

Give me a solid slab of iron and I'll be happy. YMMV.

Rick DeMan: thanks for offering a great alternative to folks.

Cheers,
Old 05-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

My Pleasure..!!!

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 05-25-2010, 04:33 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Alan,

I don't disagree w/ you regarding the performance differential that you are talking about. i.e., the biggest limitation is still the driver and not some weight saving in the rotors.

But I guess my point was that if there's an alternative that is in theory better and is still affordable, why wouldn't we want that? If someone makes the 2-pieces rotors and you come out cheaper after factor into changing the hat every 2 or 3 rotors, why wouldn't that make sense?

Would I pay like $2k for a pair of Alcon or Brembo? Most likely not.. but if they are $800 a pair, and you can re-use the hat 2x or 3x, would I get them? Yeah, probably.. I guess that's what I am saying..
Old 05-25-2010, 04:58 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Fair enough.

Even at $800/pr plus $500/pr after that makes it $1300 for two pairs assuming replace the hats every second time.

ATE for Cayenne are $520 for the same two sets.

Rick's slotted solid iron version (lighter than ATE and properly made for our cars) is now (under?) $950 for two sets while on sale.

**** Assuming use the hats 3x: $1800 for 3 sets

ATE: $780

Rick's: $1425 on sale (potential price break available too. He's a good guy, just ask.)

I don't know what the extra expense of 2-piece would be giving me in return? I see no benefit for my situation.....yet. I do have an open mind though.

Cheers,
Old 05-25-2010, 05:39 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

I see Rick's truck at DEs often.. maybe I need to stop by sometimes and get the rotors from him directly to save some $$$!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Fair enough.

Even at $800/pr plus $500/pr after that makes it $1300 for two pairs assuming replace the hats every second time.

ATE for Cayenne are $520 for the same two sets.

Rick's slotted solid iron version (lighter than ATE and properly made for our cars) is now (under?) $950 for two sets while on sale.

**** Assuming use the hats 3x: $1800 for 3 sets

ATE: $780

Rick's: $1425 on sale (potential price break available too. He's a good guy, just ask.)

I don't know what the extra expense of 2-piece would be giving me in return? I see no benefit for my situation.....yet. I do have an open mind though.

Cheers,

ur calc is highly flawed.
SOMEONE has to put the rotor on the hat for me.
there are quite a few bolts. WHO is doing that for me.
$120hour labor rate for most tech's.
i cannot do that myself.
you ask my mechanic how tight i can tighten things.
i stripped oil drain plug as well as the oil tank tread, i over torqued bleeder calipers, cross threaded the uprights putting caliper back on, overtightened the brk fliud reservoir cap and craked the cap and the reservoir neck.... some ppl are not meant to work on cars (like me) so i hire experts. and they cost money. so you need to add $100 for each time disc are replaced and put on the hat.

those who have more money should get the 2 piece, they are lighter and very good. but i dont have that extra $100 bucks. i go with heavy rotors.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cfjan
Alan,

I don't disagree w/ you regarding the performance differential that you are talking about. i.e., the biggest limitation is still the driver and not some weight saving in the rotors.

But I guess my point was that if there's an alternative that is in theory better and is still affordable, why wouldn't we want that? If someone makes the 2-pieces rotors and you come out cheaper after factor into changing the hat every 2 or 3 rotors, why wouldn't that make sense?

Would I pay like $2k for a pair of Alcon or Brembo? Most likely not.. but if they are $800 a pair, and you can re-use the hat 2x or 3x, would I get them? Yeah, probably.. I guess that's what I am saying..
brembo is gorgeous
brembo and alcon are more than $2000 i assure you.
at least my brembo was more than that.
yes, two piece have benefits but at a cost.
i looked at pretty much ALL the alternatives before making my mind. then i dont trust myself so i buy most of the good alternatives and deplete my bank account (as you can see i am doing yet another experiment with 996gt3, soon i will own more 996gt3 than the porsche factory ever made hahaha). if you find a cheaper 2 piece deal, i am sure alan and i will jump on it.
oh. floating 2 piecs is even better (on paper at least) b/c it will always be parallel with pads. but they are very noisy.

sure, they now add spring loaded bobbins so no noise and still floating. but those bobbins cost more than non spring versions.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Cup ducts + track pads + good fluid + braking technique = flawless brakes in our cars.

Rotor type boils down to perceived performance differences wrt weight savings (I won't notice it, but an accomplished autoxer like Rad will probably want lightweight PCCB rotors vs boat-anchor Cayenne) and most importantly, cost/value for the rest of us mere mortals.

I'm not interested in two-piece rotors due to cost and then it's another part (very important part) I need to worry about....when should the hats be replaced as the bobbins wear the holes over time? Why would I want to think about those little bolts and making sure they are tight enough? My driving is nowhere near being able to take advantage of any other differences between floating rotors and 1-piece so the extra expense/maintenance doesn't make sense for me.

Give me a solid slab of iron and I'll be happy. YMMV.

Rick DeMan: thanks for offering a great alternative to folks.

Cheers,

rick, we nor cal contingents just ordered 5 sets from ya today.

alan, so you are OCD like me worrying about bobbin and hats. i stare at my rotors and count from 1-10,000 in chinese, then in english then in spanish, then i drag out my daughter to ask her if she thinks the cracks are too big then i drag out my wife to triple chk then i drive the car to my mechanic to chk again. then i decide to fk it and put new rotor on.... i NEED HELP.

rad.... pccb. dont mention him. he's martian and my technical adviser. we should not use him as measurement

yeah, he told me to run 16" wide rear wheels
Old 05-26-2010, 01:04 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Number54
@mooty: Wow, popular belief is that two-piece is cheaper than single over the long term? Maybe if the two-piece is really needed for cooling and the singles wear out faster under a high heat application. Other than that, it's hard to believe. Yeah, you don't replace hats. But the extra cost for the fancy floating rotors negates that (at least the brands I've seen). I know I'm paying a lot more for my floating rotors than singles on my Audi. But I don't have a choice, it gets too hot...

Wait... Did the mods delete the post with the links posted by dan@jhmotorsports? I hope not because they just want to figure out if there is a market for a new product.

@cfjan: Yeah, there's so much talk about rotors, but only a few responses to this thread. I doubt this shop will make any development effort with the feedback here! What's the price of the Giros? If I recall, the pricing from the new solution would be under $1K. Which still seems a bit high, given they have something similar for closer to $600 with 320mm rotors.
once you meet me you will know i dont do anything normal.

popular believe is always wrong. just like democracy is wrong. see i am abnormal.

but you can try 2 piece and see if you like it. i stick to 1 piece after losing enough money on 2 piece
Old 05-26-2010, 02:44 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Mooty: great point about extra labor charges for folks who don't want to assemble something important like brake rotors at home.

I like 1-piece. Toss them on and you're done.

Cheers,
Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Mooty: great point about extra labor charges for folks who don't want to assemble something important like brake rotors at home.

Cheers,
no, dont toss them!
i string them up and use it to curl as free wt.
then use them as frisbee with my 18 month old.
he has many bruises.... his mom wonders why
Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers,

I can't do **** myself right either John , don't feel bad.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
normal.

popular believe is always wrong. just like democracy is wrong. see i am abnormal.
LOL, Mooty for Supreme Leader! Motons for all GT3 owners...
Old 05-27-2010, 04:40 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ yes, mooty for pres...
well that's if obama change the constitution to allow non native born martians to get elected.
i promise you that i will wipe out currency system such that we can just all barter with car parts.

Quick Reply: New brake rotor solution