Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! 1st time trailering car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:34 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Need help! 1st time trailering car...

Don't have time to do big search... what can I use as tie down locations? Can I use the front jack pads under car to secure the front? Are two enough? Suggestions for rear?

Please help... I am hoping to leave with car early tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious too. During some web-browsing I saw tie-down hardware that attaches to the jack locations. Looked nice and solid. But I forgot where I saw them... Dunno if a store sells those locally for your trip tomorrow. Maybe someone else knows.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go through the wheels until you can get some chassis tie down brackets.

Some folks use the jack pad locations but my shop has seen plenty with the jack pad partially or completely torn off when people overtighten the straps. Those rennline pads that bolt to the front jack pads look beefy, but they are bolted to a piece of stamped metal that is spot welded to your car in 3 or 4 places. Trust it if you want, but I looked at those spot welds myself and said no way. If you do use them, be careful with the ratchets.

Oh yeah, speaking of the ratchets, the most common time the straps come loose is when you don't have enough strap material wrapped around the ratchet. You want to aim for 2-3 complete revolutions of strap material wrapped around the ratchet. For many styles, this means 6-9 full pulls on the ratchet handle (1/3 revolution per full pull). Once hooking the strap to the car and trailer, I raise the ratchet handle in the air 12-18" and then pull the extra strap material through. Then start ratcheting and count the pulls. 6-9 is the sweet spot.

Car in neutral. I set the parking brake after strapping the car down. (I have the e-brake partially engaged while strapping to reduce rolling)

Cheers,
Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
ex10psi
Racer

i tie the car down on my trailer via the wheels. i use the following: http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/271/ProPacks

works awesome for me, no messing up alignments, no movement of the car, etc... perfect
Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ex10psi
i tie the car down on my trailer via the wheels. i use the following: http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/271/ProPacks

works awesome for me, no messing up alignments, no movement of the car, etc... perfect
I have the same set. I also added a couple wire hook straps. Nice quality pieces.

I go through the wheels up front and chassis tie downs at the rear. I'm lazy and like the simple "click" and you're done.

Cheers,
Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I have the same set. I also added a couple wire hook straps. Nice quality pieces.

I go through the wheels up front and chassis tie downs at the rear. I'm lazy and like the simple "click" and you're done.

Cheers,
lazy and simple i can totally understand! one of these days i might get those fancy toe hook things in the rear to clip too... guess the front you cant really do much except go through the wheels.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for quick replies. The tie downs I have won't got through the spokes on my wheels so I think I'm stuck using the jack pads. I will just have to be careful and make them snug, not overly tight. Although I'm more worried about the thing flying off the back, do I also need something in the rear?

I guess I know what I'm investing in after this weekend.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ex10psi
lazy and simple i can totally understand! one of these days i might get those fancy toe hook things in the rear to clip too... guess the front you cant really do much except go through the wheels.
With those rear rennline hooks just remember that even the 66 degree GT3 version will place a twisted hook strap very close to the oil line. I use the bent wire strap here. Locking twisted hooks everywhere else.

For the front, I'm making my own chassis tie downs that will bolt to one of those heavy bolts for the front suspension. Already machined....I just need to bend them to the correct angle. Not sure what that is yet.

Cheers,
Old 05-06-2010, 10:32 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Thanks for quick replies. The tie downs I have won't got through the spokes on my wheels so I think I'm stuck using the jack pads. I will just have to be careful and make them snug, not overly tight. Although I'm more worried about the thing flying off the back, do I also need something in the rear?

I guess I know what I'm investing in after this weekend.
Change wheels to your streets and put on track wheels when you get there?

The rear is where all the weight is so I'd definitely do something there. Try the rear jack pads I suppose, if your hooks will get in there. Just be careful. I'm not sure about other areas back there to wrap a strap around. Pull over frequently to check things out and drive slowly and cautiously.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

When I did trailer I used wheel straps up front and used the winch as a 3rd tie down to tow hook( the thought of it rolling off freaks the **** out of me) and for the rear I used tow hook adapters by autometrics that ties to the chassis by engine. I do keep ebrake engaged as well on 1st gear. Mike
Old 05-07-2010, 12:32 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Through the wheels using 3-4 foot long axle straps with rings on ends. Hook the ratchet strap hook to the axle strap rings and other end to trailer tie down location. The tire/wheel straps that go over the top of tire are nice too.

I do not recommend the car's lift points.

Be safe, if you cannot do this properly then don't trailer the car this time.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:59 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Spent a little more time playing with it and was able to find a way to get the straps through the wheels. I feel better about this route so I'm going to secure all four of them and give it a go. This is going to be a stressful trip for me.

Thanks to all for their comments/suggestions. I never have much to offer but you guys are a wealth of information and help.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:44 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Spent a little more time playing with it and was able to find a way to get the straps through the wheels. I feel better about this route so I'm going to secure all four of them and give it a go.
Excellent! Just pull over occasionally and check the straps for tightness. Make sure you've got at least 6 full pulls on the ratchet (aim for 6-9) and you should be good.

For anyone who thinks the jack pads are a good way to go, jack up your car and have a look at the spot welds holding them in place. Do you trust those? I've done enough welding to never trust what I saw on my car to hold those pads in place with a load pulling sideways on them.

Cheers,
Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Again, really appreciate the help. Did a trial load and it seemed okay. Will be up EARLY to get her re-loaded and on the way out to California for the weekend. Will definitely be taking it slow and easy. Hope it goes well but, if not, I'm sure you'll all see it on youtube and I'll have to come up with a new username (and a new insurance company) in order to show myself around here again. The thought of being responsible for destroying another GT3 makes me really, really sick.

That said, I'm going to be positive, safe, and try to relish a new experience.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:18 AM
ex10psi
Racer

you'll be just fine! and take good care of her, she's got a special place in my heart as you know...

Quick Reply: Need help! 1st time trailering car...