Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I finally got to actually drive my gt3. Pics...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I finally got to actually drive my gt3. Pics...

It was raining all last weekend, but I got a chance to take her for a spin today. I decided to drive through Chabot park (East Bay of San Francisco). It started out nicely - no sooner do I get into the twisties does a police car pull right behind me. And he kept following me, right on my bumper through all the 35 and 25 mph zones. I eventually pulled into a parking and took some pics of the car (below). The police turned around and we went back a different way. Am I just unlucky, or is this car a cop magnet?

Note: the car is not cleaned properly yet - not detailed + dirty brakes/wheels...

Old 04-18-2010, 03:50 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Maybe the cop saw your big grin on your rear mirror : ). By the way maybe in future track events if u don't have them- get the 8 degree wing adapters- better downforce at the rear . Did u take off the front lip spoiler? U need that too for the track : ). Mike
Old 04-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

One day a CHP was neck and neck with me on the freeway in neighboring lanes, looking over, for a pretty extended period of time. He gave me a thumbs up once I got the courage to stare back at him, and then sped off. Those guys make me nervous even when I'm not doing anything wrong...
Old 04-18-2010, 02:13 PM
///msw3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice pics! I enjoy that road as well Nice outdoor shooting range up there also.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
One day a CHP was neck and neck with me on the freeway in neighboring lanes, looking over, for a pretty extended period of time. He gave me a thumbs up once I got the courage to stare back at him, and then sped off. Those guys make me nervous even when I'm not doing anything wrong...
+1
Old 04-18-2010, 02:27 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Let me just say I don't drive fast nemore on the street. I was heading up to thill on a thurs nite and bout to get on the 505 and saw an suv from behind me driving fast. Ok darn some bunch of kids so I gunned it to 140 mph. Well nevertheless when I looked on my rearview mirror and saw flickering red/blue lights. Guess what car was the suv? Well stopped by the side of the road and he approached me from passenger side window and asked me why I stopped u. I said I was speeding in a calm way. He asked how fast u were going? I said over a 100. He said try 140- I was doing 100 myself and u were gone!!!! He asked for my registration and insurance papers- unlucky me I had reg but no insurance papers. I told him I don't have insurance papers but I can call my wife for the policy number- he said it's ok so he went back to his car. It was the longest 15 mins of my life. He came back and he said where u going. I said I'm
going up to a racetrack at willows ca. Well he said if I write u a ticket for over a 100 u are in a world of ****- your car will be impounded your license will be suspended , jailtime and having no insurance paper that's $375 as well but next time take that speed on the track. He ticketed me for doing 80 mph. Ever since then I follow the speedlimit(that's my warning from someone up there). Mr policeman was a very nice guy. Mike
Old 04-18-2010, 02:30 PM
sfbimmer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

another silver gt3 to the bay, congrats!

hope to see you at the track as well need more 6gt's to represent.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:16 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Car looks awesome. Congratulations.

Only comment... Get a front lip!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Number54
Racer

Thanks all.

@996FLT6: Crap, previous owner removed the lip spoiler, and I didn't realize I needed it. What's the consequence if I don't have one at the track? More understeer? For the wing shims - are you talking about this: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...96GT3_spoilers

@996FLT6: Funny, I got a ticket on 505 heading to t-hill too. Except I was doing 92 and the cop didn't give me a break. I swear I had been transported back 100 years, the cop was like a cowboy - kept calling me "boy" even though I'm pretty sure I have 10 years on him. At that speed I was required to go to court in that same dumpster town 1.5 hours away. You had it sooooooo easy. Yeah, I don't speed on 505 any more!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, those are the shims. As far as the splitter, Porsche says it helps to keep air from going under the car so for balance especially at corners >90mph it is best to have the part on the car.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Number54
Thanks all.

@996FLT6: Crap, previous owner removed the lip spoiler, and I didn't realize I needed it. What's the consequence if I don't have one at the track? More understeer? For the wing shims - are you talking about this: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...96GT3_spoilers

@996FLT6: Funny, I got a ticket on 505 heading to t-hill too. Except I was doing 92 and the cop didn't give me a break. I swear I had been transported back 100 years, the cop was like a cowboy - kept calling me "boy" even though I'm pretty sure I have 10 years on him. At that speed I was required to go to court in that same dumpster town 1.5 hours away. You had it sooooooo easy. Yeah, I don't speed on 505 any more!
"54"...here is my lip..they call it the 'Euro lip' as I recall as it is a little wider than the OEM one on NA cars. I got it from Peter at the The Racer's Group - peter@trgparts.com 707.935.3999. They are a nice detail on the car and not expensive - in fact I bought two (one for stock) given the cost of shipping was about 50% of the cost of the lip...
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Number54- if trg is not that far from u(Petaluma)- u can buy it from them- I think they were $165 plus buy the push rivets as well(I think u need 15 rivets). U know front of car is light vs rear so if u go speeds of 90 or more on kinks front may feel floaty. They may have the wing adapters too. Call ahead 1st because when I bought them awhile ago they only had 2 which I bought. 8degree wing adapters plus cup front lip makes it
more planted thru high speed kinks like t8 t1 t9. I think since 1st time with gt3 u be slow so not so critical but if u got time get it before April 24- u don't want to worry about another thing. Mike
Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Number54
Racer

^^^ Will try to get one.

I found bags with both 4 and 8 degree shims in the box of stuff that came with the car. How can I tell what's on the car currently? Are the stock shims red too? I guess I have to remove the wing, right?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^well look underneath wing where uprights are- that's where the wing adapters go(between wing and upright) so if u don't see the adapters wedged between it's not there. So how u install them? Well 1st on uprights on the inner side u see one plastic color matched plastic plug on each side- u need to remove them. Sad to say they are a pain to remove wo damaging the plug( I used a flathead with racer tape on it- even that the plastic plug broke so I leave them off- neway less weight- lol). Once removed u see a bolt inside u need the right size torx screw to loosen bolt(only need to loosen). Once loosen the wing will lift up and u put the wing adapter on(should ne easy to put in- just slide it in but u gotta figure out which is for the right and for the left- easy affair). Once in just titen the bolt and you're done. U can put the color match plug back on if they aren't damaged). Some if not most have painted the wing adapter because that orange color looks tacky. I painted mine flat black for contrast. If u plan to get the rs carbon wing later that's easy to put on too : ). Ne questions please feel free to pm me or post here : ). Also the rivets for the lip spoiler are 2 pieces- u remove the top part off then put rivet in then push top part in. Mike
Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you buy the splitter... buy two (shipping is the same price -- and I would get the cup splitter -- cheaper and better) and I would suggest buying a handful of extra push pins and keeping a couple in the glovebox

Quick Reply: I finally got to actually drive my gt3. Pics...