Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech Inspection for PCA DE, who do you go to?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tech Inspection for PCA DE, who do you go to?

Hi all,

As I'm preparing for my first DE, I need to get the car inspected prior to the DE.. I know the list of shops / individuals are listed at the website of my local PCA chapter (CVR chapter) website. But who do you go to?

I have an appointment w/ a pretty big race shop here next week so I guess I'm okay for the first DE but just trying to figure out what to do going forward. Some shops I talked to say that they don't charge for tech inspection if I'm their customer. Some shops implies that there will be a charge. (For example, this shop that I'm going to, due to it is close to me physically, I was told that they would waive the tech inspection fee this time since it is my first DE, but want to do oil change and inspect the suspension and torque up all the bolts and that's like a few hundred dollars.. ! And the comment about 1st DE implies that going forward the tech inspection will be billed even if I do the service there..)

I think going forward that I can do the basic stuff myself (oil change, brake pads, bleed brake, etc.) and leave the big stuff to the experts, but for someone like me, what would be the right place to go for tech inspection? (seems like those big race shops would not be interested in someone like me who is trying to track in a smaller budget than their typical customers..)

What do you guys do??

Thanks for all the feedback.. !
Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I've teched my own cars for years, but I also do much of the work on them. Suggest you go to a shop for your first one and watch and learn. It's not difficult. It's even fun. Kyle

Last edited by TurboCup87; 03-24-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

To learn and such is not the issue.. the issues is that the tech form needs to be signed off by the qualified person / shops (and I'm not on the list!!) At least according to the local chapter of PCA rules, I think.. ?!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get my regular shop to do the annual tech inspection. I hand the owner a stack of forms (different regions I drive in have their own tech form) and he fills them all out.

Time is about 45 mins and I get billed for that amount of shop time. Pretty cheap to have a second set of qualified eyes looking over my car.

Cheers,
Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Over here, we need to have a tech inspection for every DE event! It can only be done within 30 days of the event.. that's why I'm trying to find out what's the best way to do so.. or it will get $$$ pretty quickly!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

An inspection usually costs 35-50 dollars and if additional charges apply like new brake pads, fluid change etc. most will waive the fee. Do not take the inspection lightly. You car will work hard on the track and you want to know it is in good shape. I am sometimes astonished by the condition of some cars which have passed inspection - brake pads down to 2 mm, brake fluid low and black as coal ...;
Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Bob, thanks for the info.. appreciate the feedback.. !
Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I get mine done for free at local Porsche dealer
Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Do you let the dealer do all your maintenance??

If not, that's very nice of your dealer to do that for you for free.. !
Old 03-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

A few hundred dollars to do the inspection, change oil, and make sure everything is tight. The materials for the oil change alone is around $100. As others have mentioned, it's never a bad idea to have a second set of eyes look over the car.

As far as shop selection, I recommend going to a shop that services cup cars and other GT3's regularly if possible. If you do many track days, you will eventually find yourself scrambling for last minute pads, rotors, or something. These type of shops generally stock this stuff and will get you out of a jamb. That is worth the extra few $$$ in my opinion.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:17 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice.. I guess there is no such a thing as trying to track the car with no tight budget...
Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

CVR lists on their web site their approved shops. I am confident that you can build a working relationship with one of these locations. As a regular customer they will probably just do your DE inspections. The big race shops were built on customers like you. I'm sure they will value your business.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take it to who ever can get me in. Usually the dealer in January. We only need an annual tech form signed by a service tech, then we get an on sight at each event in the paddock. They check for brake lights, pads, safety gear.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Yeah, don't mind building a relationship w/ a local race shop.. I just don't know if I'm too small of a fish for them, that's all.. i.e., I won't be able to go in and say "ah yeah, do whatever you want, just bill me when you are done".. instead, I will be telling them that I just did the oil change at this date, etc.

We will find out.. it is a learning process for me.. will be my first ever DE in April!
Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Hi all,

As I'm preparing for my first DE, I need to get the car inspected prior to the DE.. I know the list of shops / individuals are listed at the website of my local PCA chapter (CVR chapter) website. But who do you go to?

!
Talk to your local DE participants and see who they use.
I use a local shop that gets very little of my biz only because i do nearly everything myself.
But
I do always bring lunch and after-work beverages for the crew in lieu of inspection fees.

have fun

Craig

Quick Reply: Tech Inspection for PCA DE, who do you go to?