Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to lower the Euro GT3 seat mount?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to lower the Euro GT3 seat mount?

Background: My new to me 6GT3 has the cloth Euro GT3 seats with the BK crotch strap mount and what appear to be Porsche seat side brackets. I am 6'3" and used to having the seat in my M3 and race car really low, literally on the floor, so that my eyes are just about horizontally level with the dash. (One of my shorter friends co-drove the race car one weekend and we forgot to put some telephone books in the seat and he had to drive Road America from memory and landmarks) From an ergonomics perspective I like reaching up grab the steering wheel at 9 and 3 when I am sitting in a race seat.

I finally got the opportunity to really sit and spend some time in the GT3 (alas not driving) and it feels as if I am sitting very high compared to the steering wheel. Also, there is not a lot of clearance between the top of my head and the headliner. I am guessing that with a helmet on the helmet might touch or be very close.

I know that BK makes some side brackets that lower the seat, but am not certain how that would work because the sub mount bar is already touching the seat. Can anyone provide some feed back on this?

Also, can I get the seat low enough like I can in the BMWs? I see that there is a computer under the seat, perhaps this might have to be moved?

TIA for your input.
Mike
Old 03-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I found the rear of the seat was high for me (6 foot) and I was told to try the BK stuff. I got a set from BK and like the fact that they lowered the rear portion (several holes to choose from) but I don't believe it lowered the front of the seat. However, with that said, that was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:01 PM
j foster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BK worked for me 6' 5"
Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Looks like BK has a new very low position mount, floor mounted solution with an integrated sub bar:
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9044.php

Might have to try this out to see how low it really is, because I am the only one who will be driving the car.

j foster - did you use the R-9078 and R-09079 side brackets which lower the seat 1" when mounted on the stock sliders?

Thanks again for any input
Mike
Old 03-15-2010, 03:37 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Exclamation BK Mounts will lower it.

Originally Posted by IPguy
Also, can I get the seat low enough like I can in the BMWs? I see that there is a computer under the seat, perhaps this might have to be moved?
Hey Mike, I really doubt that you need to lower all the way to the floor.

BK R-9097-01 (tunnel side) and R-9097-02 (door side) for the Driver side pair on the stock Clubsport seat-sliders should do the trick.

For me, the Clubsport seats are way too wide. So....

Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Hey Mike, I really doubt that you need to lower all the way to the floor.

BK R-9097-01 (tunnel side) and R-9097-02 (door side) for the Driver side pair on the stock Clubsport seat-sliders should do the trick.
I did not see a listing for the R-9097 brackets so I assume that you mean the R-9079. I think I will give these a shot first, because if they are not low enough (only drop the seat 1"), then I can go to the floor mount system (R-9044) and use these same brackets.

For me, the Clubsport seats are way too wide. So....
I wish I had this issue. I have a very wide upper back and am not certain if the Clubsport seats are going to work for me. Hips fit fine, actually with some extra room, its just around the shoulder area that seems to be potentially too narrow for me. But I need to drive the car on the track some in order to determine.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

^ if euro seat too narrow, you will fit recaro SPG XL perfectly. not the one with elephant ears.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by IPguy
I did not see a listing for the R-9097 brackets so I assume that you mean the R-9079. I think I will give these a shot first, because if they are not low enough (only drop the seat 1"), then I can go to the floor mount system (R-9044) and use these same brackets.
Yes! 9079! I guess I was reading it upside down and was a bit too late in the night!

I think you will not have the sliders if you are going with a direct mount on the floor.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:23 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

I also think that I know one of the reasons why those "euro" clubsport seats look like that on the top. I think it has very little to do with safety.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
I think you will not have the sliders if you are going with a direct mount on the floor.
That is my understanding as well.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:26 PM
j foster
Intermediate

j foster - did you use the R-9078 and R-09079 side brackets which lower the seat 1" when mounted on the stock sliders?
Yes, did both seats

Quick Reply: How to lower the Euro GT3 seat mount?