Sponsored by:

FS 2nd gear pop out fix DIY - Cheap Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010 | 01:26 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Default FS 2nd gear pop out fix DIY - Cheap Insurance

Hey there everyone,

Well as we have been including this part in our rebuilds for some time now, I thought that we should share this very simple fix with everyone.

As many of you already know, several of the Porsche gearboxes will occasionally experience a '2nd gear pop out issue.' There are a couple of ways to address this issue. But this one is the easiest, and by far the least expensive option for the DIY guy or gal.

Now this part will not fix a pop out problem if there is already damage internal to the gearbox, but it will certainly help prevent it. In all of our rebuilds here, we have yet to see a 'pop-out' problem return after the installation of this part.

Installation is relatively simple and can be completed with the gearbox still installed in your car.

Price on this is $69.11, (had to add the .11 cents for obvious reasons, LOL)

Even if you have never experienced this issue, this part is cheap insurance to ensure that you have done everything you can to keep it from popping up in the future.

Let me know if you would like one of these sent out to you. We are putting together an instruction sheet today with pics, and will post this on our website later this week, so that you have a step by step guide to help you get this installed.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com

Last edited by Erik@GBox; 04-29-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2010 | 05:34 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

pray tell, what is the problem and what does this part do to prevent it?
Old 02-15-2010 | 05:58 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

The problem here is in the engagement of the operating sleeve to the 2nd gear dog ring. This is controlled in part, by the detent. The OEM factory part is slightly out of spec, and does not allow for the full engagement. This piece has been modified and will take the place of the OEM part, as a direct swap.

We have been doing this here for some time as a matter of coarse on all rebuilds, however, we thought that we might be able to help people avoid a rather costly rebuild by offering this part as a separate unit now.

I hope that answers your question, but please if you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 02-15-2010 | 06:59 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Since the detent has been increased, does this add additional effort to get into or out of gear?
Old 02-15-2010 | 07:34 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Great Question Chris,

Your not quite there as what actually has been done to resolve this...(ancient Porsche secret)

The answer to your question though is no, you will not notice in the slightest amount a difference in the shift quality. There is not additional effort required.

Great Question though.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Old 02-15-2010 | 07:41 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Default Step by Step instructions

Okay so don't laugh too hard in regard to my picture taking ability, I was in a bit of hurry to get this out on the boards here, some of the pics are a bit out of focus but you will be able to see what I mean here.

Step #1 remove the bolt that prevents the detent cover from coming completely out. This will be a 13mm bolt in 996 street cars, and an allen key in the GT2/GT3 gearboxes. This is a 6mm allen key.

Step #2 remove the detent cover which is an 8mm allen key.

Step #3 use a strong magnet to remove the spring and detent from the detent holder. (hint if you move the shifter around a bit it will help this release easier)

Step #4 change out the detent with the new part that I have sent you. You can use the same spring that came out of the gearbox.

Step #5 here is the tricky part. Looking from the side of the gearbox you put the new detent in so that the pinned part that holds the internal wheel, is 90 degrees from the side of the gearbox. ie It points to the side of the car. This is important because the wheel on the detent engages a plate internally, this is not too tough though and can be felt as the new detent is installed and pushed into place.

Step #6 drop in spring, this step can be combined for easier installation with step #5

Step #7 reinstall the detent cover and transmission bolt. End of job.

How does this work? Well, me have made a modification to the OEM part that gives this new detent the ability to allow for more engagement all of the gears. This detent controls the forward and aft motions of the gearing changes.

Here are some pics to help with visualizing the replacement. I hope that this information has been helpful.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com

Last edited by Erik@GBox; 04-29-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2010 | 09:54 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Can you post a pic of the original and the modified parts side by side?! Thanks!!
Old 02-16-2010 | 11:30 AM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

cfjan- How much sense does that make? If I tell everyone exactly what was changed on this part, where is the incentive to purchase the modified part?
Old 02-16-2010 | 11:33 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Okay, fair enough.. was just wondering...
Old 02-16-2010 | 11:41 AM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

No worries, at all. I would have asked the same question. You will probably laugh when you see the difference between the two.
Old 02-17-2010 | 05:18 AM
v12man
Instructor

Default Mk1

Hi Erik

Does this apply to the Mk1 GT3 as well?
Old 02-17-2010 | 11:23 AM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

v12man - Yep that gearbox has the same out of spec part. This will take care of your gearbox as well.

Would you like one?

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Old 02-17-2010 | 06:59 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

Erik,
Perhaps it would help to elaborate on the poor deisgn you purport of the OEM part? Although I haven't experienced this 2nd gear issue, I'm sure everyone here is interested to learn more. None moreso than those than with cars that might be having issue staying in gear.

Originally Posted by Erik@GBox
v12man - Yep that gearbox has the same out of spec part. This will take care of your gearbox as well.

l
Old 03-21-2010 | 04:07 PM
K. Roman
Advanced

So, it's been a while now, has anyone done this yet? I'm very interested but something is fishy here, no? Nobody has done this fix yet and posted about the results.

Quick Reply: FS 2nd gear pop out fix DIY - Cheap Insurance