Coolant level dropped in cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:44 AM
dpastramas
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant level dropped in cold Weather

Hi

I have a 996 4Cabrio (2002 model) and the following occured during this weekend.

I was up on the mountains for skiing. The weather was very heavy, very cold temperatures ( -15 Celsius, 5 Farhenheit). I didnt start the car all day, and in the evening we took the car to go out to the next village. The way up was quite steep with a lot of hair pins, and at a some point half-way, i got an indication/warning to check coolant level (even got the temperature light blinking, but the temperature didt rise)

I checked the coolant level when i arrived and it was indeed way below the min level.

The next day i added 2litres - 0.5 gallon of distilled water and 0.5 litre/0.1 gallon of coolant. The coolant level rised to the half point between min and max. I let the car run for 5mins and checked for leakage, but nothing spotted.

However the day after, i checked again after driving a bit, the coolant level again had dropped below the min level, but i didnt get any indication/warning. I drove back home for 1.5hours in heavy traffic, and no issues with water temperature.

Has this happend to anyone else? Could it be that the coolant contracts in very cold weather?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi there,
Check for cracks on the coolant box, hoses and other places for leaks.
Put a magazine underneath the car over night and see if something leaks on it.
Make sure that you get the air out of the coolant system.
When you fill the car up, you should make sure you use a correct procedure to avoid air into the system.
Check your coolants freezing point with a refractometer.

Hope it helps.

P.S I think you should post this under the 996 forum.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah...they all fail.

Quick Reply: Coolant level dropped in cold Weather