Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: '04 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:41 AM
TeKNiC3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup...Seller was a little shady by not advertising it was salvaged.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 PM
David Carp
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at the car almost a year ago. He didn't tell me it was a salvage title until I got there.

He wanted 55K at that time. He clearly felt the car was worth it. On no evidence, I wondered whether he bought it to turn a profit and can't accept the loss. He was getting a lot of calls for the car (well maybe) but once the salvage title situation was revealed nothing materialized.

Sonen Porsce kindly suggested a very experienced frame mechanic that would have looked at it but that was not necessary as he wouldn't budge on the price.

Since it's been at least a year that he has tried to sell it someone that wants a track car might get a deal. In any case I would think it imperative to get a very good inspection, not just a ppi from Sonen.

David
Old 01-23-2010, 10:18 PM
MRH
Instructor

I spoke with him as well. Salvage title was mentioned half way through the conversation. I think it might be worth persuing as a track car if the damage,
as he states, is limited to the bumpers. He said he would take 45K.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,637 Likes on 2,319 Posts

if damage is limited to the bumper and he had the ad for over a year then it doesn't add up.
a year ago, mkt value for gt3 is 65+, so a bumper damage caused insurance to write it off?
i think this guy is fishy.
and you can buy non salvage cars for 40k. 171mph just sold his for that kind of money. and i think rob in VA's car isn't much more than 45k and it's not salvaged.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
David Carp
Intermediate

HTML Code:
i think this guy is fishy.
Yep.

Can you ever completely completely believe someone you don't know when money is involved.

In his defense; if you are looking for a car in the SF Bay area, even through Craigs list, the advertised prices are high. Many people, when they prepare to sell their car, compare it to the highest prices. He may not have thought to consider what actual selling prices might be, and car prices took a plunge a year ago.

He isn't using the car, 2K miles in a year, and it's depreciated considerably in that time. Then there is all the trouble that goes into selling, what with telephone calls, answering questions, meeting for an inspection and drive. All wasted time. So why hasn't he sold it?

Superficially the car looked good inside and out and drove well. It's nearly impossible to easily see any frame repair on these cars as the underside is covered in plastic panels and it is so low to the ground.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You gotta consider future resell. If you buy into a niche car like GT3 with a salvaged title - you are married to the car. The car should be priced CONSIDERABLY lower than everything else, even if the repair is 100% flawless.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 PM
user 8830374
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
LMAO. you aint chinese are you? i am.
rng is famous, why, i have no idea.
but here is a very "simple" way to evaluate chinese restaurant.
if they speak english in any accent that an english speaking person can semi understand, their food is not good.
if you dont see cockroaches and rats sharing your food, the food is not very authentic.
if you dont see 34b-34c, 22-24 waistline with chi pao cut all the way up to waistline, you are not at a very high end chinese restaurant.
any chinese restaurant serving don perrinon (sp) or "wine" is not good.
but if they serve louis XIII by the caseload, you are at the right place, but keep wallet wide open.

bring that SY 993RS, i will provide free lunch...

oh, i guess then it is not really free .... LOL

:-)
Not Chinese Moot, *(Texas Czech) ...But you're spot on a bout howz to find the authentic food. My mom used to have a flat in the inner richmond district, and I spent alot of time banging up and down Clement getting good food...FWIW: My team in SF are mostly Chinese and they are always trying to out do each other taking me to some place to eat when I'm there...... Next time I am in SF for "training" I will take you up on going to an authentic Chinese restaurant. (my treat) - The RS is not mine but belongs to an Austin attorney. I saw it at our last PCA concours. the car was in freaky NEW condition....(He has 2 RS') These things cost stupid money!

Last edited by user 8830374; 01-24-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 PM
David Carp
Intermediate

I have been told that the way the Chinese evaluate whether a restaurant serves good food is to examine the ambiance. If the owner spends money on the furniture and decoration he has little left to spend on food.

Having spent some time in China I can say that this has often proven true. Though not so much in Hong Kong, Taiwan, or now even Shanghai.

In Chinatown San Francisco this criteria can go either way.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,637 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by David Carp
Having spent some time in China I can say that this has often proven true. Though not so much in Hong Kong, Taiwan, or now even Shanghai.
LOL, in those three locations, the waitress matters a lot. not all food are eatable, some are for the eyes.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Modoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric,
Received your email! Thanks and best for you this New Year. Beautiful GT 3. I didn't think it would take long for the track bug to hit.
I have a few items for the track that may interest you. Helmet, Hans, Schroth belts and I just recalled the hockey pucks for jack pad had been something we discussed. I'll give those to you if you still want them. I also used them on my jack stands. I do have a Porsche battery maintainer if you have an interest. I recently cvame across these items when I finally emptied my trailer this winter. The trailer will be available for you later this year as you continue your downward slide to total track rat..haha.
Thanks again for the note. Continue to enjoy your wonderful GT3.
Hope all is well with your wife's training. Uro-gyn if I recall.

Joe
email server has been down for a few days. Look forward to your response re items above.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
You gotta consider future resell. If you buy into a niche car like GT3 with a salvaged title - you are married to the car. The car should be priced CONSIDERABLY lower than everything else, even if the repair is 100% flawless.
To that point I was willing to do that...at the right price as all I want it for is a DE car. I called the number let it ring about 20 times than it went to the generic cell carrier's VM. No call back after 48 hours....so I'm guessing they don't want to sell the car or perhaps my questions to him indicated I was - at least - a somewhat educated buyer.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:43 PM
David Carp
Intermediate

You may have it correct, you are more educated than he is or he hopes to find someone that does not understand the issues with salvage title etc.

If you are interested don't give up. It might be that he is on holiday or his cell wasn't charged or something.

I might still have his email address. If you want, and if I can find it, I can send it to you. Send me an email dcatraveling@yahoo.com, post your email address, or send me a PM on 6 speed. David C there. Or try again on his cell.

Not that you need advice; but be prepared to work it a little. If you have ever been to China (our subdiscussion above, you would know about bargining; not saying you aren't good at it because you aren't Asian). Act like you might pay close to what he wants, drag it out a little, and keep lowering you price. Sort of like suducing a woman. You don't start out discussing bed. You also know he has been trying to sell for a year and isn't into the car because he hasn't put much milage on it. You also suspect he has an inflated idea of it's worth. Just suggestions please don't take offense.

Remember this car had a major accident and no one knows what was damaged or how it was repaired.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
To that point I was willing to do that...at the right price as all I want it for is a DE car.
There's a gray car posted in the classifieds a few days back that might fit the bill. Could just be the pictures but it looks as though it's got poor panel gaps at the front and the rear, also has a replaced rear bumper.

...but it's well equipped for the track and if you're not looking for a perfect one it might be worth a look.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:47 PM
David Carp
Intermediate

Since the subject of the thread petered out I won't be off topic in this post.

So yes Mooty. If you think trim, jet-black haired, asian woman are beautiful, as I do, then these are (some) of the places to visit. I have a long list.

Off topic, I noticed the GT3 in Petaluma is still for sale. For my own amusement I may keep track of how long it remains on Craigs List.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by David Carp
Since the subject of the thread petered out I won't be off topic in this post.

So yes Mooty. If you think trim, jet-black haired, asian woman are beautiful, as I do, then these are (some) of the places to visit. I have a long list.

Off topic, I noticed the GT3 in Petaluma is still for sale. For my own amusement I may keep track of how long it remains on Craigs List.
Hey Dave..spoke with the vendor on Friday. Says he his cell just showed my message hence the call back only then (8 days after I left it). We talked about his car at length.....seems to think Salvage Title is not much of an issue...hmmm. Anyway, he reports he has an offer of $ 44K on it which I advised him to take - not rudely of course - but I think that is excellent money for that car...but he is convinced he can get $ 45 K which is his ask as he is getting lots of interest since on Craiglist - car also on E bay.. see how it plays out....

Quick Reply: FS: '04 GT3