Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Purchase First Question

Name:  oldtown1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  112.3 KB

Bought this a couple of months ago after returning to home country. It's my daily driver plus track car plus highway comuter.

For daily drives I notice a strange torque character: Idle to 2400rpm seems fine but it feels like torque takes a severe dip from 2400 to 3000 rpm such that if I let the clutch out from standstill at about 2400 rpm engine feels like it's going to stall. Letting the clutch out from standstill from 1500rpm or from above 3000 rpm the engine seems fine though if I start from 1500rpm the car tends to not pull in the mystery rpm range of 2400rpm to 3000 rpm and then I feel a torque surge similar to a turbo engine from about 3200rpm on.

Looking at dynographs from the web it does look like there is a sudden severe drop in torque in the mentioned rpm range. It's not such a big issue except in bumper to bumper jams or starting off a steep carpark ramp from standstill while in mid ramp. In my case it may be more pronounced an irritation given sports clutch, super lightweight flywheel and high lift cams. It's go cupcar ratios too apparently. Great for track and when traffic is moving.

Has anyone found the cause, a solution or tuned this out?

Will post tweaks that I intend to do in coming weeks, right now trying to sort this out with my tuner

Last edited by pzull; 01-16-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Maybe if you post a bunch of pictures we'll be able to help you out Nice car!!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Gotta see more photos of this... The riveted on flares are beyond good but the jury is still out on the louvered fenders.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:20 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Wow they did a nice job on the paint and the fenders. Looks great in green. Nemore pics?Well superlite weight flywheel how lite? I have lwf but it's oem lwf- even liter can explain the sensation of stalling. Sounds like it needs a good tuning esp with the cam mod. Mike.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:09 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Will take a few more pics soon. the car is as is when I bought it except for the wheels which were cargraphic with offsets for wide body and rubbed against the fenders hence the change.

Don't have too much details on exact parts/mods done. The flywheel feels alot lighter based on heel/toe responsiveness compared to the sachs lightweight one that I had on my ex-car.

I can get the car moving from standstill without any throttle but hit the sweet spot and the engine chokes and bogs down, hesitates and then gets going only if I give it more throttle.

Add on flares were done without any cutaway of inner wheel well so can't get wider track than stock ie. it's currently just cosmetic. Yes them louvres takes some getting used to, I'm not there yet.

There's change of bore and stroke I think, so engine pulls stronger than stock just too many peaks n dips in torque along the power band. Car is loud with equal length headers and crazy small cargraphic mufflers (effectively about 2 inches worth of perforated pipe....I opened them up). Still trying to investigate if the cam mod maintained variocam or now non variable

Cant wait to sort out the minor niggles, meantime it requires concentartion driving in rush hour

Bought it compared to 2 other examples I trialed due to low miles and stronger engine.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:16 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow.... that's cool looking! Sorry I can't help you with the issue you seem to be having but love the pic.

Do you happen to know where the flares came from?

Hope you get it sorted out and can't wait to see more pics!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the louvres and am told the air that escapes from them help suck the front of the car down.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like they did a lot of mechanical work and forgot to flash the ECU. Might contact Sharkwerks and mail him your unit. There are also ones that do it via downloads.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:48 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly cams? More pics, more pics!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:04 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Flares and add on louvres from cargraphic.
The louvres are supposed to reduce pressure buildup in front wheel wells. Not entirely sure what the theory is behind it - downforce or drag? Guess same theory as the TVR sagaris.

Where's a good eliable online place I can order a cupcar front lip? Cracked the carbon fiber one that came with this car. It's just too low for many carpark ramps.

Anyone can recommend a good hybrid alignment setup for both road and track? Car will spend 80% on road and 20% on track. In any case, what's the stock setup for toe, camber and corner weights? Running 235F and 305R on 19 inch wheels. RE011 tires but looking to switch to Yoko AD08 once it's worn. Loved the AD07 but now discontinued IMHO the best street tire with R compound characteristics
Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

That's odd.. the car seems to be well done but they omitted something like this?! You mean the original bodywork (now covered by the new flares) need to be trimmed, right?

If you are keeping the flares, shouldn't you be doing that instead of swapping the wheel to the narrow body setup?

Great looking car!! Good luck!!

Originally Posted by pzull
Add on flares were done without any cutaway of inner wheel well so can't get wider track than stock ie. it's currently just cosmetic. Yes them louvres takes some getting used to, I'm not there yet.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cfjan
That's odd.. the car seems to be well done but they omitted something like this?! You mean the original bodywork (now covered by the new flares) need to be trimmed, right?

If you are keeping the flares, shouldn't you be doing that instead of swapping the wheel to the narrow body setup?

Great looking car!! Good luck!!
Yeah original bodywork wasn't trimmed.
Swapped out wheels/tires as I needed to track the car 2 weeks into ownership and doing the body work would've taken too long and would mean I missed the trackday.

The flares add maximum 1 inch on each side so am not sure it would be money best spent vs improvement in handling. Right now focussing on getting engine retuned and tires realigned (currently looks like -0.5F and -3.5R camber). ALso swapping out cargraphic extreme loud mufflers to a custom muffler that I will have fabricated.

How does one clean the internal face of the rear windscreen with the roll cage installed? I nearly got myself damn tangled/trapped in the cage trying to reach it to clean
Old 01-18-2010, 08:43 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I see, got it.

-3.5R on the back.. that's a lot of camber!

Please keep us posted!

Regarding cleaning the window, I think you just need to use some extension pole to reach the back...
Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Regarding the rear windows as long as there are no flames/smoke billowing out from the rear deck lid I can see find. Mike
Old 01-18-2010, 09:52 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a good starting point:

GT3 Mk-II (2004-2005) Kussumaul

Front Axle

ride height 115 mm +5 mm -0 mm (same as stock)
Toe Unpressed (total) +5'
Toe difference angle at 20deg lock -1º 20' ± 30'
Camber (with wheels in straight-ahead position) -2.5º ± 5', max. difference, left to right, 5'
Caster 8º ± 30' (same as stock), max. difference, left to right, 30'
Stabilizer setting 4 (1=softest/outermost) (same as stock)

Rear Axle

ride height 128 mm +5 mm -0 mm (same as stock)
Toe per wheel +35' ± 2', max. difference, left to right 5' (same as stock)
Camber -2.3º 50' ± 5', max. difference, left to right 10' (same as stock)
stabilizer setting 4 (1=softest/outermost)

For the splitter, these guys are good:

http://www.e-partssales.com/miva//me...ry_Code=996gt3

Congrats on the purchase... is that the original color?

Quick Reply: New Purchase First Question