Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 or Cayman s ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got both an '06 Cayman S and an '04 GT3. Bought the CS new, and put about 30 track days on it with an increasing amount of mods (coilovers, TBD, underdrive pulley,). Last year I retired the Cayman from the track and bought a nicely set-up '04 GT3 primarily because it is more robust for heavy track use. The GT3 is strictly a track car for me, and while I loved the CS, the GT3 is more challenging and rewarding to drive on the track. Probably a couple/few seconds quicker around the track (depending on the track), but you have to be a better driver to get there with the GT3. Having said that, they are both awesome cars built for a different purpose. I drive the CS only on the street now and I still love the car, but for pure track work, the 6GT3 wins big time.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,646 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Mooty I remember when u had a cayman s didn't your powersteering pump overheated as well as Dave's ? Mike
well, that's one of several prob.
what i needs is a dry sump motor.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Mooty with how hard u push cars- dry sump is the only answer for u. I can probably push the cayman s really hard but I only last 2 sessions per given day : ( and its not the car it's my lazy *** ADD. Mike
Old 12-02-2009, 02:42 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Mooty with how hard u push cars- dry sump is the only answer for u. I can probably push the cayman s really hard but I only last 2 sessions per given day : ( and its not the car it's my lazy *** ADD. Mike
you need a AC trailer with a bed in there.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 AM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boinkus44
I've got both an '06 Cayman S and an '04 GT3. Bought the CS new, and put about 30 track days on it with an increasing amount of mods (coilovers, TBD, underdrive pulley,). Last year I retired the Cayman from the track and bought a nicely set-up '04 GT3 primarily because it is more robust for heavy track use. The GT3 is strictly a track car for me, and while I loved the CS, the GT3 is more challenging and rewarding to drive on the track. Probably a couple/few seconds quicker around the track (depending on the track), but you have to be a better driver to get there with the GT3. Having said that, they are both awesome cars built for a different purpose. I drive the CS only on the street now and I still love the car, but for pure track work, the 6GT3 wins big time.
Thanks for this info!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 AM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a Cayman with GT3 drivetrain? Why won't anyone build one?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _rocket
RSP Motorsports just built a Boxster with a X51 (I think) 3.8 litre 911 motor. After a little tuning and custom intake it makes more power and torque than my GT3 on the dyno. Looks great to!

Regardless the chasis and suspension of the GT3 would be hard to match, or you'd spend a bunch trying to get a Cayman to that level.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:20 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 07 Cayman S, had a 04GT3 and 07RS.

Cayman S will break at the track, weak transmission, weak engine, weak power steering, weak brakes, floppy suspension, lack of LSD, too much lift . It is the best handling car made by Porsche, but it needs a lot of work. It handles like nothing else, but if you push it, it will break. There are plenty of documented issues with the Cayman for track use.

For street use, the Cayman S is really nice, and the 04 GT3 is not.

For autoX, the GT3 is faster. For track the GT3 is so much faster.

There is no way that a stock Cayman S can keep up with a stock GT3 at the track, no matter which track, call it drag way, oval, road course, etc. I assume that the driver knows how to push the GT3 to the limits, something that pretty much everybody can easily do with a Cayman S.

For 2009 the Cayman S got a stronger engine (yet to prove its reliability), a weak LSD, the stronger PDK transmission (the manual is still the same crappy one), same weak brakes, improved floppy suspension. This car is still slower than a 04 GT3.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

the cars are built for different purposes, obviously. It's impossible to make a car do both well. The GT3 is basically a track car that can be driven on the street satisfactorily, while the Cayman is a street car that can be driven on a track satisfactorily. Each has to compromise one aspect to improve on the other, unfortunately. As the saying goes... "you can't be all things to all people".... Or, all cars to all people-- something like that.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I really like GT3s, but let's keep in mind they conform to all emissions requirements, have airbags, air-con, xenons, etc., it's not an Aerial Atom or even an Exige. Neither of those cars do anything for me, but I think they're more "street legal track car" than the GT3... The Cayman S is a great car in it's own right, and far more impressive as a dual purpose car IMO.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by _rocket
i tried.
to do it right with you need $$$
motor alone is 50k or so.
add labor.
also, you need surgery on gearbox or better yet, get GT3 gear box and flip it upside down to fit. no fun with 6 reverse gears.
add LSD

then it will surely be worth something in the tune of $20,000 when you sell it.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I have a 07 Cayman S, had a 04GT3 and 07RS.

Cayman S will break at the track, weak transmission, weak engine, weak power steering, weak brakes, floppy suspension, lack of LSD, too much lift . It is the best handling car made by Porsche, but it needs a lot of work. It handles like nothing else, but if you push it, it will break. There are plenty of documented issues with the Cayman for track use.

For street use, the Cayman S is really nice, and the 04 GT3 is not.

For autoX, the GT3 is faster. For track the GT3 is so much faster.

There is no way that a stock Cayman S can keep up with a stock GT3 at the track, no matter which track, call it drag way, oval, road course, etc. I assume that the driver knows how to push the GT3 to the limits, something that pretty much everybody can easily do with a Cayman S.

For 2009 the Cayman S got a stronger engine (yet to prove its reliability), a weak LSD, the stronger PDK transmission (the manual is still the same crappy one), same weak brakes, improved floppy suspension. This car is still slower than a 04 GT3.
LOL, brutal...
italian cayman are better, no?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i tried.
to do it right with you need $$$
motor alone is 50k or so.
add labor.
also, you need surgery on gearbox or better yet, get GT3 gear box and flip it upside down to fit. no fun with 6 reverse gears.
add LSD

then it will surely be worth something in the tune of $20,000 when you sell it.
I'll buy it off you for $25K. Get to it!

With the much simpler 915 box, it was easy to flip the ring gear and use it in a mid-engined car. I wonder how much work the GT3 trans would require?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I'll buy it off you for $25K. Get to it!

With the much simpler 915 box, it was easy to flip the ring gear and use it in a mid-engined car. I wonder how much work the GT3 trans would require?
i was told it can be done. you just need $$$$$$$$
Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I would love to put a gt3 motor/drivetrain in a lotus exige- that be killer. Mike

Quick Reply: GT3 or Cayman s ?