Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just put in an Odyssey 925 and the mounting "cage" assembly from Rennline

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Just put in an Odyssey 925 and the mounting "cage" assembly from Rennline

Great battery, but the cage doesn't fit properly. Connecting to the negative terminal was really a stretch and the battery had to be turned backwards of course. The real issue is that the mounting assembly doesn't fit into the battery tray on the 2004 GT3. It just sits on top, very snug. You can't tie it down with the tie-down bolt or a longer one at all. Anyone seen this??

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Pics?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:13 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
Great battery, but the cage doesn't fit properly. Connecting to the negative terminal was really a stretch and the battery had to be turned backwards of course. The real issue is that the mounting assembly doesn't fit into the battery tray on the 2004 GT3. It just sits on top, very snug. You can't tie it down with the tie-down bolt or a longer one at all. Anyone seen this??

Thanks.
Yes, I installed this exact package a few weeks ago. It is a very snug fit and pretty difficult to get installed. Had several discussions with Rennline about it. They say it's fine in a stock 996 but had limited experience with GT3's so there must be some difference between the two compartments, although I didn't get a chance to compare them.
The problem is that the bracket fits in the tray fine by itself but not with the battery installed since there is a retaining lip on the rear of the OE tray that interferes with the battery when sliding into the bracket. Rennline initially suggested that the stick-on foam dampers be mounted in the corners of the movable retaining brackets. What I had to do was remove these from the bracket corners on the side towards the front of the car to give more clearance for the battery to clear the lip in the tray. Also, the vertical retaining brackets had to be positioned all the way towards the negative terminal cable for the cable to reach the battery terminal. With this I was able to fit the battery into the bracket and get everything connected up. There are also two hoses just behind the battery tray as well that make the fit a little difficult. As I said, it's a very snug fit and not totally optimal IMO. Hope that makes sense to you since you've apparently been wrestling with this thing for a bit.
If I knew better I probably would have looked for a different alternative, although the Odyssey batteries get good reviews. BTW, the Rennline folks were very responsive and as helpful as they could be.

In any case, I feel your pain Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your response is Exactly what I am talking about. Thank you. I am not about to wrestle with it anymore. Next time, another solution.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:05 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm I just received their mount for the 680. Hope it works better!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:17 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
Hmm I just received their mount for the 680. Hope it works better!
The 680 is smaller than the 975 so wouldn't expect you to have any problems.

Quick Reply: Just put in an Odyssey 925 and the mounting "cage" assembly from Rennline