Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motronic 7.8 Fault Codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009 | 11:15 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Default Motronic 7.8 Fault Codes

I got a check engine light and used my Durametric diagonistic tool and it came up with 2 fault codes.

1) P0420 Porsche Fault code 40 - Cat. conv. efficiency bank 1.
Since this seems like a Cat. issue it should be covered under the emissions warranty. I know other individuals that had this issue and fixed for free by the dealer.

2) P2098 Porsche fault code 22 - Oxygen sensor ageing Delay bank 2.
Would this also be covered under the emissions warranty, and if not how much would it cost to fix?
Old 10-19-2009 | 11:24 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

1) will be covered by the warranty
2) i'm unsure. most likely covered because it's part of emissions.
Old 10-20-2009 | 01:47 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Well,
I called one dealer and they said the oxygen sensor would not be covered under the emissions warranty, and the price to fix it would be around $500 including labor. Does this seem normal?
Old 10-20-2009 | 02:41 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

These are the only three items covered by the federal emission warranty:
I just had a cat replaced by under warranty.

Catalytic converters.
The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).
The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).
Old 10-20-2009 | 03:35 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

I run cat bypass pipes with extenders that take the 02 sensors away from the direct exhaust stream. This works well on the track but when I burble around town it is quite common to have the CEL come on. The fault is always the same (aging oxygen sensor)...same problem the driver is having I just reset the CEL and haven't had any issues. I'd recommend getting the cat replaced and then see what happens with the sensor.
The 02 sensors (4 of them) are quite easy to replace; it's almost always the sensor downstream from the cat that has issues. It helps to have a 02 sensor socket which is a universal tool not Porsche specific.
Old 10-20-2009 | 04:15 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Funny u mentioned catbypasses Leigh. I have them on as well. Had them on with stock exhaust and once in awhile if slow street driving it'll throw a lite but since putting fab mufflers on it has yet to lit and that's 3 years ago. All O2 sensors in stock locations- weird. Mike
Old 10-20-2009 | 04:37 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Interesting the Fabspeed mufflers would make a difference...I have the stock mufflers still.
BTW I was able to go past the sound booth at Laguna at full throttle without them having an issue. Is that the case with the Fabspeed mufflers???
Old 10-20-2009 | 04:44 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Sadly- it won't pass sound at full wot unless u lift. Mike
Old 10-20-2009 | 04:58 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Leigh, I like the idea of just replacing the CAT and see what happens. I wonder if the dealer would give me a hard time if the fault code still was on after they replaced the CAT.

Good to know the sensors are easy to replace. However, with my limited ability I could not even find them and I am sure I don't have the right tool.

With the by-pass pipes I am guessing the DB noise level would increase, right?, which would be a pain since I do a lot Lime Rock Park DE days, and they are strict on the noice level.
Old 10-20-2009 | 05:10 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Leigh, I like the idea of just replacing the CAT and see what happens. I wonder if the dealer would give me a hard time if the fault code still was on after they replaced the CAT.

Good to know the sensors are easy to replace. However, with my limited ability I could not even find them and I am sure I don't have the right tool.

With the by-pass pipes I am guessing the DB noise level would increase, right?, which would be a pain since I do a lot Lime Rock Park DE days, and they are strict on the noice level.
they might give you a hard time about that because the cats are very expensive. I believe in the $3k range, so I doubt that's something they will just change while trial-and-error.
Old 10-20-2009 | 05:19 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

The noise limit at Laguna is 92db and I probably JUST passed with stock mufflers and no cats. It actually sounds quite nice although not as refined as a Europipe or one of the more expensive systems. Saves a few pounds as well.
There seems to be problems with some 996 cats as it's not an unusual problem. A cat failing will be detected by the O2 sensor but shouldn't harm the O2 sensor so there shouldn't be any need to replace it. The dealers always seem to be pretty motivated to charge for something when you're in getting warranty work I've noticed...
Old 10-20-2009 | 06:12 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Rodney, just a warning, but the codes don't always tell you the exact problem. If your MAF goes bad, for example, you often get multiple codes for the oxygen sensors. With 2 codes for different banks popping up at the same time, the MAF may even be your problem. You might want to take it out and clean it, reset the CEL, and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Motronic 7.8 Fault Codes