Sponsored by:

cup tow hook options

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 PM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cup tow hook options

im wanting to use the retractable tow hook with the slit on my cup bumper as i track my car alot and it would make alot more sense however am i right in thinking i need to loose my front impact bars in order to do so?

any options out there to use both at all or a work around that works and is cost effective?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:20 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

why don't u just tap a hole where the tow hook receptacle is and buy a aftermarket towhook like tc design that the hook bends 90 degrees. Cupcar tow hook does look nice though. Mike
Old 08-25-2009, 10:27 PM
outline
Racer

ive got the hole (and plug) where the regular tow hook goes in the bumper too, at the moment i screw one in there for the track. its just the slot is there for the cup hook and id like to try and use this with a retractable one if i could without having to remove all my impact protection (i drive to the track).
the cup hook is so nice looking that i was hoping someone had already done all the head scratching and worked something out ahead of me
Old 08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

i have cup hook, but i no longer have the bumper bar.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Just paint your hook red : ) with a stickie says "tow" . Mooty tows his car so he doesn't need no bumper bar. Maybe that's why he doesn't bump draft me nemore : ) but I can bump draft him : ). Mike
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i will brake chk you.

if you drive to track, i would recommend NOT taking off the bumper bar. too much risk.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:37 PM
outline
Racer

agreed on the bumper bar. its not worth not having it just to have an albeit very cool looking retractable towing eye.
looks like i might need to add it to the list of things id love to have but common sense prevails over.
im barely getting over the realisation that carbon doors dont make sense when i drive to the track either. no matter how much i love them. this might be too much
i sold on my cup car and started building up a cup-esque gt3 mainly because i have such little time recently that towing a car means i never get out with it.
being able to just roll out early on a sunday morning and get some empty roads when thats all the weekend allows has opened up things greatly but at moments when practicality prevails i cant help be disheartened
Old 08-26-2009, 06:11 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ arrive and drive?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 PM
outline
Racer

for the sort of track driving i have time to do these days yes. even to get a day for this is rare at the moment. no more hoosiers, laptops to look over data while things cooled, sweating my nuts off and the endless pleasure that gives.
anytime i get near a track at the moment its more a chance to blow cobwebs off and drive for a bit unburdened by traffic lights and stop signs nothing more. for this arrive and drive is more than enough. often just getting a run on some open country roads on the way there satisfies, all too often i only get the early morning road portion and home with no track in sight sadly.
its been completely unrealistic to expect to get a weekend to make it worthwhile trailering a car and getting stuck in so its road tires and the rest. i held onto my cup as long as i could but it never went out and it broke my will all those times i could have gone out for a couple of hours on some highway just for the smell and feel but couldnt as it wasnt road legal. there were times i just started it up and sat in it
ive a ferrari sitting in the garage and before that a gallardo and even with them id see that cup and want to just be out in it but be unable to do so.

996flt6.....howd you get the 16v engine in your golf. you fit one from the later cars and take over all the injection system or you running twin webers? how you like it. ive a mk1 golf gti i converted to weber and restored when i was much younger. i couldnt tell you how many winter nights i spent crawling around on the garage floor stripping and rebuilding that thing. its noisy, rattley, everything on it takes funny turns at the most random of times but i love it none the less.

Last edited by outline; 08-26-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: cup tow hook options