Sponsored by:

Street/Track Car? Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by switchcars
If you really want an experience.....we have a 996 gt3 in stock, a 997 gt3, and a 996 gt2 coming in on trade....and our dealership is at a racetrack.

If you have time, fly out to Vegas, come see us, and you can really compare all three cars. Hopefully you'll buy one from us then too after that
sounds fun when can I come?? LOL jk

Spec's on your 997 GT3?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I lost count of the number of Exiges I passed/lapped in a completely stock (other than brake pads and suspension) 4 door M3... from the 90s!. FYI, I test drove one back to back with a GT3, and could not have been more disappointed. I think Lotus builds cool cars, and I'm glad they do, that said, the GT3 is far more exciting and capable IMO.

You passed GT3s, but obviously you haven't been around one driven well at a track. They're seriously capable in the right hands.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I lost count of the number of Exiges I passed/lapped in a completely stock (other than brake pads and suspension) 4 door M3... from the 90s!. FYI, I test drove one back to back with a GT3, and could not have been more disappointed. I think Lotus builds cool cars, and I'm glad they do, that said, the GT3 is far more exciting and capable IMO.

You passed GT3s, but obviously you haven't been around one driven well at a track. They're seriously capable in the right hands.
u must have been playing with 190 hp exiges. if you were able to pass exige S, then those driver need to relearn how to drive.

i love GT3's but compare a street gt3 with a lotus cup 255, i take the lotus any day and probably will dust an equal driver in GT3 unless it's a very hi top speed 120+ track. the 4 bangers crap out at top end.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:56 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well sure, my only point is that "I passed X car on track, so they must be slow" is meaningless.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
sounds fun when can I come?? LOL jk

Spec's on your 997 GT3?
Anytime! Bring your RUF.

the 997 3 I have is an RS....have a couple in fact. Will probably have a couple regular '7 '3's in stock soon though.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:35 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by switchcars
Anytime! Bring your RUF.

the 997 3 I have is an RS....have a couple in fact. Will probably have a couple regular '7 '3's in stock soon though.
That would be a ton of fun, any 3 day events being held there?? Would love to see what 997 3's you get in, non RS! Keep in touch
Old 07-23-2009, 02:37 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Well sure, my only point is that "I passed X car on track, so they must be slow" is meaningless.
LOL, sorry i missed your point.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I need to get rid of another car of mine to make room for a Porsche. Any interest in a trade for 1968 Camaro Z28 RS matching numbers? Car is beyond gorgeous. Just annoying because I can't drive!

As for the Lotus, I have been racing for a very long time so to say any street car is more exciting than an Exige is meaningless. The Lotus is a race car with no luxuries which makes it inherently more exciting than anything else. And as with any driving event, the driver is the most important factor. The only point I was making is that while GT3's are quicker than an Exige they are not so much faster that I was like WOW! A properly set-up GT2 would deliver that experience but I am just afraid of the cost to run it.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:34 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

If you could catch me in a stock E36 M3 I would give you the Lotus! LOL! You just haven't been in a properly driven Exige. I would always get the same treatment when I showed up at the track: nice car but c'mon. Then after people would realize how fast it can be. Anyway, the point is moot as it's sold and I am moving on. Or should I??
Old 07-23-2009, 05:01 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u must have been playing with 190 hp exiges. if you were able to pass exige S, then those driver need to relearn how to drive.

i love GT3's but compare a street gt3 with a lotus cup 255, i take the lotus any day and probably will dust an equal driver in GT3 unless it's a very hi top speed 120+ track. the 4 bangers crap out at top end.
This is why I asked the OP which Exige. My personal experience is that the Exige S is an animal, and the Cup is on another level. The GT3s (996/997) that I run with clearly dust both of those cars in the straights, but the gap closes completely in the corners at MMP in Utah (high speed track).

This is all anecdotal of course...

To the OP's latest question, I'd say that the running costs on the track of a 996-3 & 997-3 will be about the same. I spend about $600/day on consumables, plus track time fees. Again, I think the 997-3 would make the better DD.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do...

-Blake
Old 07-23-2009, 05:07 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I had a 2006 with an aftermarket S/C kit (Blackwatch Racing) and special tune. Made a little more power than an Exige S and I only ran it down here at Sebring and Homestead (I live in Florida). The car was certainly fast but on the straights the horsepower cars would just gobble me up. I was impressed with one friend with a GT2 and the plethora of Z06's. These cars would go by me as if I were standing still but I don't know if I can do the Vette. I am leaning towards a GT2 but I need to rid myself of my Camaro first. I just don't have the room.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:24 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ yes, as i mentioned before in very high hp track, lotus will not do well, but at a track like infineon, especially the back side, even a GT2 will not pull you.

anyways, the GT2 is fast and great, but it has a distinctly different feel than a GT3. try both, i think it will be clear which u like. finally you did mention use it as a DD as well? if so, the 997 is way better. not saying u can't daily drive a 996GTx, but 997 is just nicer and i am not soft a** as i used to commute in a full spec spec miata in rush hour traffic for 30 miles one way in my suit and tie. (why.... i am off to track after work on those days)
Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
I need to get rid of another car of mine to make room for a Porsche. Any interest in a trade for 1968 Camaro Z28 RS matching numbers? Car is beyond gorgeous. Just annoying because I can't drive!

As for the Lotus, I have been racing for a very long time so to say any street car is more exciting than an Exige is meaningless. The Lotus is a race car with no luxuries which makes it inherently more exciting than anything else. And as with any driving event, the driver is the most important factor. The only point I was making is that while GT3's are quicker than an Exige they are not so much faster that I was like WOW! A properly set-up GT2 would deliver that experience but I am just afraid of the cost to run it.
Why are you so afraid of the GT2 (operating costs)?? It is the same as any other Porsche so to speak, probably even better as most guy's with GT2's didn't drive them a lot or as hard as they were intended for, and something such as a 996TT would be beaten on daily and for a much longer duration mileage wise! I had no issues with either car's, and had both for over a year each, my GT2 about 3!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:28 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

It doesn't matter if I've been around a "properly driven" Exige or not, all that I'm telling you is the fact that you passed some car on track (assuming it wasn't a closely stacked race series) is completely irrelevant in terms of that car's ability. FYI, I've passed an Exige S in that car (at Road Atlanta of all places), and I've lapped GT3s in a C2, and I've been passed by a Miata in the rain in my Corvette, I've passed another Corvette in an Integra Type R. None of it means anything, go drive the cars yourself to get a feel. Some prefer the Exige over the GT3, that may or may not be you. The Lotus wasn't for me.

Same with the Corvette, they look great on paper, but the driving experience doesn't compare. I enjoyed putting a BMW 5 series on track better, honestly. I'm kind of amused by this 911 thing, I didn't care much for them just a few years ago, now they're all I want to drive anymore...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Enough discussion....you need to buy Martin's car

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35855

Quick Reply: Street/Track Car? Which One?