Sponsored by:

First set of Hoosiers -- need a bit of help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:11 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG13
I followed break in procedure to the "T" on my first 2 sets....after that, I bagged it and just mounted and went....no noticeable change in performance or longevity..
Interesting...
I paid for the heat cycling at Tire Rack which I am not sure is worth the $15 per tire but I thought I would give it a shot...
I never seem to be able to ge them mounted, do the break in, and then let them sit or cure or wahtever... I am usually behind the 8 ball tying to just get them on in time for a track day
Old 07-17-2009, 07:17 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God you are going to love them, you will never go back to the Toyo's ever again LOL!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iLLM3
God you are going to love them, you will never go back to the Toyo's ever again LOL!
I had been apprehensive to drive hoosiers on the street to the track and home again even though there are plenty of people that do it...

so I just got this recently (not including the RSA) and so Hoosiers were next set of tires ordered. I have heard and read that once you try them... you will never go back etc.. they were about $1250 which is less than MPSC but more that R888... so right in the ball park... if they are as good as reported, last as long, etc... then why not!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

My pressures usually go up 7 pounds at Pacific and PIR on a normal summer day. Go above 40 pounds and you will not like T8. You will love 5-6. Have fun, I am in Alaska the next couple weeks. Can't wait to get your report.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:42 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
I had been apprehensive to drive hoosiers on the street to the track and home again even though there are plenty of people that do it...

so I just got this recently (not including the RSA) and so Hoosiers were next set of tires ordered. I have heard and read that once you try them... you will never go back etc.. they were about $1250 which is less than MPSC but more that R888... so right in the ball park... if they are as good as reported, last as long, etc... then why not!
I shaved 8 seconds off at VIR 3 weeks ago switching from my good Toyo's to a narrower Hoosier R6 setup lol... The grip and difference was just unreal!

36/38 hot is my sweet spot, above 38 they get very slippery, especially during a long session, only thing I don't like about them is the drop off around the 25 min mark when you are going hard on them!

FYI, Farnbacher recommended 32-35 hot pressures for R6's for my car, what they ran on their cayman said tire lasted longer and performed better?? Hmm
Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 AM
va122
Drifting

I run them lower, with good results. you can beat on them more.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- i agree, i think lower is better / faster
- even on my 997gt3 (3140# before driver)
- problem is first two laps getting up to temp
- 34/36 car is fantastic (but so fantastic that i can add 12psi in a 25 min sessions)
- thus starting temps is around 24 and you can hear the tires don't like it for the first two laps (thus the trade off)
- 40psi is the beginning of the steep cliff to no grip - but imo, 38 already ='s less grip than 36 in the rear so my 2 cents is to pick what ever starting temp so that when you are having your most fun on the last few laps you are max max max 38 in the rear
Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
jrok
Racer

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- i agree, i think lower is better / faster
- even on my 997gt3 (3140# before driver)
- problem is first two laps getting up to temp
- 34/36 car is fantastic (but so fantastic that i can add 12psi in a 25 min sessions)
- thus starting temps is around 24 and you can hear the tires don't like it for the first two laps (thus the trade off)
- 40psi is the beginning of the steep cliff to no grip - but imo, 38 already ='s less grip than 36 in the rear so my 2 cents is to pick what ever starting temp so that when you are having your most fun on the last few laps you are max max max 38 in the rear
That is some good advice up there. I have run and killed probably 25 sets of R6's since 2006. 33/35 is where I feel most comfortable. As far as initial heat cycle, Hoosier writes that stuff up for our benefit, try to do something as similar as you can depending on your conditions and timing. I *try* to let them cool completely and rest at least 24 hours -- in the shade, out of the sun, under a trailer, etc.

If you do not follow some initial heat cycle, they will last forever -- because they will harden from shock, but they will not be very grippy at all after the first day (they will suck, don't do it). Additionally, after about 20 minutes of driving they will get very hot, if you drive 25 minute sessions you will do more damage to them in that last 5 minutes then in the first 20 (shorten life). They are not as fast (fun) then and you're really just tearing them up in the last 5 minutes.

If I treat then nicely, I can get 25-30 heat cycles out of them with -3.1F/-1.9R. They decrease in performance after every heat cycle but I try to make them last. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrok
That is some good advice up there. I have run and killed probably 25 sets of R6's since 2006. 33/35 is where I feel most comfortable. As far as initial heat cycle, Hoosier writes that stuff up for our benefit, try to do something as similar as you can depending on your conditions and timing. I *try* to let them cool completely and rest at least 24 hours -- in the shade, out of the sun, under a trailer, etc.

If you do not follow some initial heat cycle, they will last forever -- because they will harden from shock, but they will not be very grippy at all after the first day (they will suck, don't do it). Additionally, after about 20 minutes of driving they will get very hot, if you drive 25 minute sessions you will do more damage to them in that last 5 minutes then in the first 20 (shorten life). They are not as fast (fun) then and you're really just tearing them up in the last 5 minutes.

If I treat then nicely, I can get 25-30 heat cycles out of them with -3.1F/-1.9R. They decrease in performance after every heat cycle but I try to make them last. Good luck.
WHOA, I got like 14-15 heat cycles on my last set of R6's LOL, they helped me turn some crazy times though at VIR, Thunderbolt and so on during that time!
Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

First time review of the R6

I am done... everyone was right... like crack!
Now that I have the trailer, I will not be buying R888/MPSC any longer.

Unreal grip

I ran 38 hot all around and will experiment with pressures more next time around -- I should have taken some air out of the fronts now that I think about it.

Thanks for your help guys...

One last question - I think I know the answer -- Hoosiers are the same price everywhere... right?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
First time review of the R6

I am done... everyone was right... like crack!
Now that I have the trailer, I will not be buying R888/MPSC any longer.

Unreal grip

I ran 38 hot all around and will experiment with pressures more next time around -- I should have taken some air out of the fronts now that I think about it.

Thanks for your help guys...

One last question - I think I know the answer -- Hoosiers are the same price everywhere... right?
Haha told ya

As far as pricing, most people order from tire rack and get them pre heat cycled, as heat cycling them are suppose to make them last much longer, better grip, etc who knows... I have never done that, but maybe I should try it !
Old 08-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

My Hoosier journey has been similar starting with the purchase of a tow vehicle followed by a trailer and finally a set of slightly used Hoosiers on a set of BBS wheels. I just returned from the 3 day POC event at Laguna and learned the track on my Nittos and on day 3 bolted on the Hoosiers for 2 sessions. I cycled around the paddock asking opinions on tire pressures with responses varying from 30 to 40 psi; I ended up at 34/36 (hot) to start. I was able to get down to 1:42 on the Nittos and 1:41 on the Hoosiers. I definitely felt that I wasn't pushing the Hoosiers enough and that there is a lot more grip than I was using.
BTW I ran stock mufflers with no cats at Laguna and didn't have any sound issues.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

just to follow up guys -- the hoosiers are beyond shot at 18 heat cycles
1 day/6 hc at PR
1 day/6 hc at PIR
1 day/6 hc at ORP

metal cords showing

Edit: Also, played around with lower pressures at ORP and 33 hot was quite nice

New set it at the shop waiting to go on... :-)

Not going back to R888/MPSC and the like
Old 08-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know. Are you sticking with the 245/40's on the front or going to the lower profile???
Old 08-26-2009, 04:47 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Good to know. Are you sticking with the 245/40's on the front or going to the lower profile???
sticking with - I offline emailed with Mooty and some others and this is the size that they reccomended... so I went with it and all is good...

so if it ain't broke... dont mess with it -- sort of what I had in mind.

what would a lower profile do for me?

Quick Reply: First set of Hoosiers -- need a bit of help