Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear popout issue class action suit

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

That's very odd since I have rarely if ever heard about this from ANY of my track buds. And we run he crap out of our cars!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Kailua
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it's a big world out there ...
Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Mr. Sarcastic.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The problem is common on cars which have been the victim of fast and aggressive shifts. If you pause between shifts, especially the 2-3, the problem is infrequent based on what I have seen. Slam-shifting even in the GT2 and GT3 which have tougher synchros, will produce the problem almost 100 percent of the time in cars which see a lot of track. . Note that this tends to happen on cars which are tracked if only because few people feel the need to shift super-fast on the street.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Kailua
Cruisin'

Dell ... A bit of sarcasm perhaps, but I'm making a point. As hard as it may be to believe, not every issue or all knowledge has been discussed/shared on the various Porsche chat groups .. not even Rennlist. Before this turns into a needless pissing match, how about we take it to PM so that you can tell me why you're so bothered with my post ?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

No need to take it to PM as I have no reason to continue this. My point was simple....you chose to assume my assumption was a myopic take on this issue and chose sarcasm to belittle and make yourself look more knowledgeable without any facts. As a scientist myself I don't accept a point without empirical support. My knowledge base of these cars is NOT just limited to a few cars.

What's you stake in this suit anyway? I find it amazing that there even exists a suit for something that is clearly not a defect but rather user abuse.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Kailua
Cruisin'

Why on earth would I need to have a “stake in this suit” to share my area of expertise on Rennlist? Someone asked if there was a difference in Turbo vs. NA synchro teeth, and I responded … apparently with more than you cared to hear. The fact is that I know more about this particular subject and am in a better position to provide input on … 1) synchro teeth design 2) possible causes of the issue, and 3) possible solutions to the issue, than possibly anyone else contributing to this thread … certainly more than you.

Your knowledge base of these cars being “NOT just limited to a few cars” is not all-encompassing just because you’re “a scientist” … and the fact that you “have rarely if ever heard about this from ANY of my track buds“, seems to leave it open for you to “remember” sometime later in the discussion. No matter … Bob (who is obviously in touch with more track guys) seems to agree that “fast and aggressive shifts [racing] will produce the problem 100 percent of the time in cars which see a lot of track” … which isn’t much different than my original statement that you took such issue with.

As for your wonderment because “there even exists a suit for something that is clearly not a defect but rather user abuse“ is ignoring the position of those experiencing the problem: Porsche tacitly encourages the track racing of many of their vehicles which are only equipped with street transmissions (NOT racing transmissions). Clearly, Porsche saw that something better was required for their track cars, as they sat up and took notice when Reiser-Callas and Alex Job began experimenting with dog box conversions back in 1998 (not long after Weissach first delivered race cars with tiny 1st/2nd synchro teeth … which were prematurely wearing in racing use, even back then).

“Sarcasm to belittle” ? Something tells me you’ve seen a lot worse than my gentle retort. One could say the same about you dropping the fact that you’re a “scientist” … like we should sit back and shut up because the scientist has now joined the discussion.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I don't know you and I don't know your credentials since you have been here all of less than a month and your 7 posts are in a class action suit thread. You can think whatever you want. My stating what I do (which everybody here already knows) was to let you know why I would like to see more than "because I said so" statements, that's all.

And yes, Bob nailed it, you didn't yet you want to ride that statement since it was "close" to yours.

And no I never told you or anybody to shut up. I made a clear statement that I hadn't heard something that you speak off yet you chose to be condescending. Take a look in the mirror first.

Time to unsubscribe. Thanks for reminding me why I rarely post here anymore with guys like you around.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:45 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some food for thought, GT2 came with brass synchros , why not the turbo or GT3?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Kailua
Cruisin'

A clever and manipulative move, Dell … but Fail. Instead of trying to manipulate the crowd, just admit it ... you tried to put the new guy in his place, but it didn’t work out all that well.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:17 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
The cup shift kit helps, you'll love the rifle bolt shifting action. I'm assuming you got the cables too. they are the most important part. you can get them from PMNA like i did.
anyone have some pics of the cup shift kit handy?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Kailua, the information you share is interesting. If you care to share: How is it you came to see all those gears through the lens of a microscope?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Kailua,

Thanks for your contributions. I have lots of experience with tracking cars, but it is all anecdotal. I am not a scientist, nor do I play one on the RL. It sounds like you have more knowledge in this area than I do, and I am eager to hear more about your experiences with this, and if you care to share it, how you came about them.

AFAIK, 6GT3 also comes with brass syncros, iLLM3.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,643 Likes on 2,322 Posts

kailua,

the gear problems bob mentioned is due to abuse or poor shifting. it's not a manufacturing defect and shouldn't be subject to the lawsuit in question.

i think the law suit was intended for cars that even when new pops out of gear. this was quite common for the early 996 turbos. i personally know of 5 such turbos. all had this issue since brand new, none were tracked.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,643 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Some food for thought, GT2 came with brass synchros , why not the turbo or GT3?
when i spoke with brian copans.
i recall he said 1st and 2nd has dual syncro (i dont know what that means) and one is brass the other is steel (now that's what i heard, i may have heard wrong).

3rd and 4th are steel syncro.

not sure what he said about 5th and 6th.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear popout issue class action suit