Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bitten by the track bug and need a little help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:33 PM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bitten by the track bug and need a little help!

Ok, I have been hooked. I origially had a audi tt that I took to the track for a few times, then went to a 99 c4 again a few days at miller and a couple of auto crosses. Started to mod and new I was throwing money away.
Found the GT3 and made the jump.

I have done the p sport driving school, 2 de at miller, winter de with audi, private instruction for a day, a few autocrosses.

Colorado just opened up a new track at highplains raceway and I have done one open track day there.

So in short not alot of expierence and I want to get going down the right track to learn.

My car is basically stock with a das bar, gt3 seats and pilot sports for tires. Hope to get 6 point harnesses soon
Suspension I assume is factory set.

My main question is do I need to change anything else for either safety or ease of learning? I have a tow rig and trailer as well and the car is a pure toy so other than fun drives I have others to drive

Should I move to a different tire for track time? Slicks?
Any suspension adjustments?

Any other thoughts to help the learning curve? I know I have heard do autocrosses but the damn things take to much time for far to little seat time.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I like Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and so do a lot of guys I run with.

Get more seat time. Lots more.

Track alignment will lengthen the lifespan of tires. The only suspension mod I've done is the TRG toe links.

Give the car respect. It does things NOW. Good and bad.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:22 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Congrats!!! Well if the previous had not done so get the rear toe links to replace the stock eccentric bolt-toe may change which will have a negative effect on handling and frequent alignments( trg/ tarrett come to mind). Hopefully the fixed back gt3 seats have the subbar bracket mounted underneath the seat to utilize the 5/6 point harness. If getting Hans neck restraint now or later get the 2/3 6 point schroth(2 means 2 inch shoulder/lapbelt)-fits better. Get a fire bottle like Sharkwerks one that mounts to either driver/passenger. Get pagid rs 19 or 29's with better brake fluid ie castrol srf. I would keep stock tires on so u get comfortable with how gt3 handles - ne upgrade to rcomps/ slicks the feedback at the limit is more vague. There's more stuff so hopefully other people will chime in. Mooty : )- u out there. Mike
Old 05-10-2009, 06:06 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Good thing about autox is it's a safe place to learn how to drive your car at the limit. Ideally, you want instinctive reactions to understeer/oversteer and autox is a great place to learn that.

Forget slicks or r-comps for now. Learn on your less grippy street tires. They will tell you loud and clear when you're getting close to the limit.

...and about approaching the limit, take it easy. Baby steps. Take that turn 1-2 mph faster at a time. Try increasing in 5mph chunks and you may go off. Quick story: I was at an autox with a nice sweeping turn. My data logger said I was taking that at 50mph at just over 0.80g (I can do just over 1.0g on street tires). After lunch I went into that turn at what felt like a fair bit faster and I went into a spin I couldn't save - and I'm pretty good at catching my car. The data logger said I went into that turn at 55mph.

Only 5mph difference between going too slow and an uncontrollable spin. I'm glad I learned that on a skidpad and not at the track.

Cheers,
Old 05-10-2009, 06:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

rear toe links
locking plate on the toe links
michelin PS2 street tires, they are very grippy
or R888, nitto
good race seat with harness.
track pads
hi temp brake fluid.
i think that's it.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT USE SLICKS at your level, bad things will happen.

First, they take about 5 hard laps (no offense but way harder then you will be able to do for years) to get hot before that you will have as much grip as being on ice. Then where normal DOT tires will scream at their limit slicks will let go with no warning.

plus they last less then a day and cost like 2k.

nittos are pretty forgiving as are toyos and MSPCs.

I personally don't' recommend using PS2s on the track, the suspension and torque overpowers the tires.

One thing everybody didn't mention is corner balance the car with your weight in it. you are not erady to notice if it's off (as with alignment) and unexplained 360s can happen.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM
va122
Drifting

Get a HANS!!!! your family loves you
Old 05-10-2009, 07:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Took me almost 4 years to get into a
Hans- my bad. Also what surprised me is how comfortable wearing one. Get the sliding tethers- u get about 30 degree rotation rt/left. Another thing check your lsd if still functions- stock internals don't last long. Regards. Mike
Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Modoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtn 3
Ok, I have been hooked. I origially had a audi tt that I took to the track for a few times, then went to a 99 c4 again a few days at miller and a couple of auto crosses. Started to mod and new I was throwing money away.
Found the GT3 and made the jump.

I have done the p sport driving school, 2 de at miller, winter de with audi, private instruction for a day, a few autocrosses.

Colorado just opened up a new track at highplains raceway and I have done one open track day there.

So in short not alot of expierence and I want to get going down the right track to learn.

My car is basically stock with a das bar, gt3 seats and pilot sports for tires. Hope to get 6 point harnesses soon
Suspension I assume is factory set.

My main question is do I need to change anything else for either safety or ease of learning? I have a tow rig and trailer as well and the car is a pure toy so other than fun drives I have others to drive

Should I move to a different tire for track time? Slicks?
Any suspension adjustments?

Any other thoughts to help the learning curve? I know I have heard do autocrosses but the damn things take to much time for far to little seat time.

Thanks
It is a slippery slope as I'm sure know by now. I don't know if you're interested or not but I have several items I have just decided to sell...just decided in the last few days. I had my blk leather GT3 seats removed from my low miles 05. Since you already have seats you are probably not interested, but I have Profi 6pt blk belt 3in. ( I've never had problems with 3in and my Hans) 1year old...two sets, Hans,Forgeline wheels with Nitto NT-01(approx 20 HC) I bought mid summer last year.(ZX3R 18x9,18x11 gunmetal centers with polished rims245/40 and315/30). Cup splitter and 8degree shims for rear spoiler, and a Traq mate system including Chase cam.
My only additions to the great recommendations above Monoball shock mounts for the rear, adj drop links and have front screens put in to protect radiators, 3M.
I realize there's no price listed but this is so sudden for me I haven't given it that much thought. I will try to get back with you if your interested.

Joe D
email or pm is fine
Old 05-10-2009, 09:38 PM
vtwin996
Instructor

Default seats

you have GT3 seats? I am interested and in Chicago. Any pics?
Thanks
Kevin
Old 05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

Ok so the list sounds like this
1.harness with hans
cup tires instead of ps2 ?
rear toe links- I assume this is the time to corner balance and align?
track pads
high temp brake fluid

I assume safety is first with harness and hans
What would the next step be for you guys?

Thanks so much for helping me spend dollars in the right order!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

after those basic mods, just DRIVE it A LOT.
60 track days a year or more.
then by 2012, you be pretty damn good.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:04 PM
va122
Drifting

2012 hahahaha

sad part is he's right. I didn't think i knew what i was doing for the first 5 years going once a month. After 10 years I started racing, and realized I knew absolutely nothing.

listen carefully grasshopper
Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by mtn 3
Ok so the list sounds like this
1.harness with hans
cup tires instead of ps2 ?
rear toe links- I assume this is the time to corner balance and align?
track pads
high temp brake fluid

I assume safety is first with harness and hans
What would the next step be for you guys?

Thanks so much for helping me spend dollars in the right order!
Yes that is the correct order. do it all at once and it will be far cheaper.

you need seats for the harness' or you'll kill yourself. most groups won't let you on track with stock seats and harnesses. (yet they will with 3 pts go figure) I dont' remember if you had them yet.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:46 PM
pdobbs
Rennlist Member

Modoc,
It is in fact possible to wear the Hans with 3 in. harnesses? I have been reluctant to buy a Hans because I thought I would need to buy another harness as well. I currently have 3 in harnesses.

Quick Reply: Bitten by the track bug and need a little help!