Sponsored by:

Motorsport parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:36 AM
fve
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Agree we need to do something but it takes initiative and effort.

Many people just ask questions and don't try to use the search tool, which is a bad practice.

Some things you brought up may be best entered in the "Do It Yourself" section.

The other issue with sharing information is there are several web sites, so currently one has to look around to find answers.
Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I would suggest an FAQ sticky at the top of the forum, maintained in a consistent format by a group of volunteers (3-4; since I present it, I'd volunteer) with the process for updating/modifying the information done Wikipedia-like.

Search does work if as a newbie you know the right terms. An FAQ would be so much cleaner for posterity!
I too, obviously, do not mind. the wiki-gt3 thing sounds good, i guess that is what i was trying to suggest in a round-about way. I use search time and time again, but somethings seem to elude me. I swear sometimes that i do a search multiple times with the same keyword and get different results.

I am just looking to make something easier for those starting out or even to supplement info for people that have been doing this a while. No one knows everything, thats why collective info like this is so useful. I will try to work on some other topics in my next set of days off. This site and others (e.g. Renntech) are a wealth of information, but it is very diffusely spread out.

fve
Old 04-04-2009, 02:35 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Good, so we have a few who will pitch in on compiling information on some of the favorite topics.

I plan on posting instructions with photos inside the DIYs and "How To" Archive, the 'GT2 & GT3' section for the following.

Transaxle Oil Change

Rear Wing Adjustment and Removal

Old 04-04-2009, 05:18 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Carefree
Yesterday I put on a new splitter (stock P/N) and all new attachment push pins (latest version). These are the ones with plastic phillips screws (which don't work all that well).
So I replaced the plastic screws with # 10 - 3/4" sheet metal screws. These do not strip and expand the clip for a good fit.
I will see how long this one will last!
Sheet metal screws are not a good idea for the front splitter. If/when you rip it off you will litter the track with potential flat tires

Peter
Old 04-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dennis; you're right I could do the screens (Home Depot version). I did the spray paint version first then made a new set with powder coating. Long winters with little else to do
This week's project is making adjustable sway bar uprights. This time I'll take some pictures.....
Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking of upgrades...Anyone know if the "cup" shifter is different from the "997" shifter? I bought a 997 shifter from Mooty but haven't installed it...wondering if I should sell it and get the cup shifter instead? The 997 shifter is P/N 997.424.01.000. Different P/N for the cup shifter??

Thanks,

Fred
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Don't know the answer to the question, but I went from the OE shifter to a B&M SSK to the 997 shifter, and the last is many notches above the prior two. The B&M was fine, but took too much effort, IMO, to shift. The 997 unit is direct and smooth.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Joe,

I'm keen on the 997 shifter, but somewhere I've read of people raving about the cup shifter and just not sure if it is different. Also keen to get the cup cables and do the entire install at one time...along with console delete...what a great way to spend a rainy weekend...and then there's the new mufflers to install...

Cheers,

Fred
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

If you need any help, let me know. I'm a shade tree mechanic (does that indicate how old I am?). I can hold the light, pass the wrench, open the beer (I don't drink, so that's safe to do). I've changed out the mufflers on mine, did the 997 shifter install, and several other minor things.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:59 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Thanks Joe. Nothing better than first hand experience. And I'll drink the beer, for sure. When I get the ducks lined up, I'll be in touch...
Old 04-12-2009, 09:10 PM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't forget about Racers Tape. much stronger the Duck or Gorilla tape. and it comes in colors. Pegasus Auto Racing has it.

fve, thanks for the homework, great job!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fve
I am sure that newbies like me must be boring/frustrating to all the people that have been doing this for a while. I seem to be re-inventing the wheels, so to speak. I found out a lot of my questions about the cup brake spoilers after i did my search using the part number instead of previous methods -->yielded much better results.

Heck, i also came across an interesting bit about the front lip spoiler. Turns out the cup lip spoiler costs less and apparently goes a bit lower for that added downforce. and it costs less...did i mention that? Always good for a consumable.

One of the things that i have found is that information is spread out among many threads, sometimes buried deep within a thread that may have little to do with the initial subject.

I rely on the search a great deal, but i still miss things. Could we get a list of motorsport parts (cup, etc) that are commonly used by folks as replacements for original parts. Not only could this be helpful to me, but to many other folks that are getting into this with more 996's changing hands.

thanks, fve
Put a link in to see GT3 Cup Car catalogue-then you can at least get the relevent part numbers and see what is different.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:47 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Red9, can you give us that link to a GT3 Cup Car Catalogue? I can't find it anywhere...that might answer my question about the cup shifter...

Thanks,

Fred
Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche does not post the Cupcar manuals. With each Cupcar Porsche provides a CD to the owner with the manual on it in PDF format.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:41 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

ViperBob! I'm sure you have the answer to my question...is "cup" shifter that people on this forum talk about the same as the 997 shifter. If not, do you have a P/N and do you sell it?

Thanks,

Fred
Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 AM
fve
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt3'er
ViperBob! I'm sure you have the answer to my question...is "cup" shifter that people on this forum talk about the same as the 997 shifter. If not, do you have a P/N and do you sell it?

Thanks,

Fred
I am sorry--i am not trying to pick on you--but thank you for making my point. You are clearly not a novice w/r to this forum judging from the number of post, yet this subject has seemingly been flogged to death in the past (and i have only been on this thing for a little over a year...)

It did motivate me to add the following however...

Quick Reply: Motorsport parts