Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, hope I don't get run out of this forum but..

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009 | 04:52 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

I have a TomTom 730 satnav connected via bluetooth to my iphone and I can hear it fine - the satnav answers the call and plays it through its speaker. So if you can hear the lady satmistress you can hear a telephone caller.
Old 01-27-2009 | 01:45 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fve
there seem to have been a few DD posts recently and they seem to come up periodically. in any case...i use my GT3 as a DD. There are those that complain about the ride, the noise. Honestly, on a daily basis it does not bother me in the least. The radio, though nothing great does the job to listen to NPR or for me to play my ipod via an fm transmitter.

I live in Pennsylvania with all the weather, ice, rough roads, etc. Yes, when the roads are cold, wet, icy one has to be careful, more so in this car than in many but i suspect it would be similar to any older 911. Judicious application of throttle, gentle steering inputs and i am fine in even in (small) amounts of snow. I do not purposefully take it out in snow, that is why i have my 24 year old audi quattro (or i just take the wife's ML), but with appropriate tires it does just fine. Even in my climate i, personally, have no reservations about use on a daily basis. i have had the car for a year and it continues bring a kaka-eating grin on my face when i go to work. it is all that i want out of car and (very importantly) nothing more. I even drove the car to and from Colorado in the summer. not the easiest highway cruiser, but it makes any and every drive a pleasure. Perhaps i could be more effusive.
What kind of tires do you have for rainy/cold days? I have R888s (till last weekend) and although they are fine in the wet, when temperature gets cooler, it seems street performance tires are wiser choice IMHO.
Old 01-28-2009 | 01:38 AM
fve
Advanced

>>What kind of tires do you have for rainy/cold days? I have R888s (till last weekend) and although they are fine in the wet, when temperature gets cooler, it seems street performance tires are wiser choice IMHO.

Datax:
I have Dunlop wintersport 3d in the front and wintersport m3's in the back. I picked those since in wanted the winter tires mounted on the OEM rims--i have Yokahama Neova AD7's as my summer tires (and track tires ... for now) mounted on Volk TE37's.

W/r to performance, they most certainly are softer and have far less grip than summer tires, most certainly have to adjust driving style to a large degree, but on the plus side they maintain the same level of grip at 0F as at 50F. This winter has had many small storms, not much accumulation, but lots of ice and small amounts of snow. Again, if i anticipate the weather being crap, she stays home, but plenty of times stuff happens. e.g. I work overnights, and when i got out this morning, there was about 1/2" of snow. Well, i was just fine even in areas without salt. (Of course she needs a bath really badly because of the salt now.) I drive up to the (dinky) ski slopes in PA and there will be blowing snow on the road or ice very often--no problem. Under those circumstances, just try to remind myself that i don't have to drive her like a supercar every single time that i take her out.
cheers, fve

Quick Reply: Ok, hope I don't get run out of this forum but..