Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What "other" seats for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Which removal steering wheel set up? Does it eliminate airbag and horn ?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Which removal steering wheel set up? Does it eliminate airbag and horn ?
I used the 996 GT3 cup wheel (momo) -- ordered it from Gert (carnewal)
It does eliminate the horn which I had rewired to a switch on the dash.
Also eliminates the air bag which I do not want anyway as this is primarily a track car now...

PICS:

In this picture, right above the stalk on the right side of the steering column, you can see a wing up/down switch... that is my horn... and clearly the airbag is gone and a Porsche tech has eliminated the airbag warning light using the Porsche computer.

Seats -- Recaro SPG XL (in leather from Recaro with blue stitch -- these seats normally cannot be had in leather from Recaro, but Speedware was able to make it happen for me )

Old 01-21-2009, 02:49 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ahmet
BTW, I would appreciate more pictures/prices paid for seats. It's mostly a dual purpose car, but I don't find most racing buckets to be a pain to deal with, however most (though not the factory 996 GT3 or the 997 GT2) seats are a bit too wide for me.
Go for the recaro pole positions then.. Same shell as the GT3 seats without the big upper half... Here are some pic's of them in my ex M3!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I do like the shape of those as well as the SPGs (I'd probably go all black though), it's probably a toss up between the two for me. I also just switched from an M3 (though an e36). I told myself I'd wait until at least one of the other cars is sold before I go doing mods to the 996, this is hard...

Thanks again for all the replies/pictures guys.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 AM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't want to put in replica seats -as they're not crash tested. The GT3 buckets fit me pretty well but I'm not crazy about how they look, and wouldn't mind saving a bit of money either. I'm 5'10" and 175. I like those Recaro SPGs a lot. I see you're in WV, I imagine you come up to VIR fairly often. Would you mind letting me sit in them sometime?

Thanks for the replies.
I've only been to VIR once with this car. My home track is MidOhio. I also go to Watkins Glen and Putnam Park. There are plenty of these seats around. I got mine from Northstar.

I also put in a QR wheel and hub. I also put the horn into the top dashboard switch. I fixed the SRS light issue with a resistor. I can reinstall the OEM wheel, which must be in for our state annual inspection.

Just sit in some different seats and decide which feels the best!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Ahmet- you have a PM - fellow North Carolinian, with a Sparco Evo L for sale - barely used...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO; I would not worry too much about seat crash testing.
SCCA for example has standards for the belts themselves and the mounting positions/strength of the mounts. The seat has little to do with the actual survival cell at the speeds where if you need to concern yourself with such matters, the seats wont.

HANS and roll cage/bar much more important.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

I don't want to put in replica seats -as they're not crash tested. The GT3 buckets fit me pretty well but I'm not crazy about how they look, and wouldn't mind saving a bit of money either. I'm 5'10" and 175. I like those Recaro SPGs a lot. I see you're in WV, I imagine you come up to VIR fairly often. Would you mind letting me sit in them sometime?

Thanks for the replies.
You might also look at the Sparco Pro 2000. I have used them in the M3 and GT3 during the OLOA and the are very comfortable. @ 5'10" 175#'s the fit should be perfect.

Peter

Quick Reply: What "other" seats for the track?