Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor running - diagnosis please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:18 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Poor running - diagnosis please!

Hi guys.

I've had the GT3 for a year, and amongs other work done, the dealer investigated some general poor running issues that I raised (poor running at very low speed, occasional rev flaring to 1500 rpm on idle - so mainly low-end poor running)

Last week (under warranty) a cam sensor fault (bank 2) was diagnosed and replaced (I think it was replaced anyway..report says fault P1325). Engine was also removed to replace leaking RMS.

After 2 days of driving, the car still didn't feel right. Actually felt worse tha before. A little breathless, especially at the top end. On track yesterday I was changing up at 5k rpm as the torque in 4th seemed better than taking 3rd to red line. That's not my normal style! Engine definitely feeling a little flat compared to normal. The 'howl' of the induction approaching the red line has lost its edge too.

So, on the way back from the track I stopped at the dealer to moan. They have now diagnosed fault P0022 - "position of cam (bank 2) in relation to crank is outside limits".

Hmm...bank 2 again. Except this time the engine needs to come out to adjust the cam position, and the work isn't covered under warranty.

They say that the cam moves because of extensive running at the red line. Stage 1 rev range diagnosis showed approx 3600 ignitions over 980.8 hours running. Stage 2 overrev was nil.

So - my questions...the latest fault - does the cam really change position as a result of running at or near the red line (and if so, why one bank only)?

Could the poor running be MAF? What fault codes would show if MAF is faulty?

Why would the latest P0022 fualt not have shown last week when they did the other work - they say that the cam sensor fault code would have disguised/hidden any others, and of course they cleared the fault memory...

Any other thoughts? I'd really like my car back, running properly!

Last edited by robmug; 11-20-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:38 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guarantee your variocam is stuck on whichever side/bank the error is coming from, happened with my GT2 ... Let me call my mechanic and i'll pm you, I am quite tech savvy but there was a special part and name involved with this, wasn't a huge/bix fix or expensive either, just weird, something so uncommon!

Martin
Old 11-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Jetmech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, I recall, its that thingamajig on the whatchamacallit.

boy, good luck, I have many near red line "wasnt' it designed to do so" events. and car is flawless. I wish you luck.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

"...engine was also removed to replace leaking DME..."

I hope that was a typo.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:07 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael B.
"...engine was also removed to replace leaking DME..."

I hope that was a typo.

..ah, yes. Edited to 'leaking RMS'...
Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iLLM3
I guarantee your variocam is stuck on whichever side/bank the error is coming from, happened with my GT2 ... Let me call my mechanic and i'll pm you, I am quite tech savvy but there was a special part and name involved with this, wasn't a huge/bix fix or expensive either, just weird, something so uncommon!

Martin
that makes sense..exactly how it feels...

so, i'd be VERY interested to hear what your mechanic says. You can email me on rob@9publishing.co.uk if it's easier. Thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

We just went through a similar situation with a friends 997 that was 1 month out of warranty. The codes showed intermittent problems with coil packs and cam timing issues. After a very expensive engine out diagnosis the problem turned out to be a collapsed catalytic converter. Might be worth checking out.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robmug
that makes sense..exactly how it feels...

so, i'd be VERY interested to hear what your mechanic says. You can email me on rob@9publishing.co.uk if it's easier. Thanks
Hey Rob, it was the variocam solenoid that failed and got stuck in an off position! The car felt as you described, like running on half the cylinders!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

u may want to check maf too. My car was not idling
Rt and hesitating on acceleration. After replaced back to normal. It's something u can do yourself. Wouldn't hurt. Mike
Old 11-21-2008, 04:24 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Thanks - I'll try and point them in the right direction; all useful info :-)
Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Hall sensor(s)!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:52 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that sucks. Hope you figure it out and let us know. These engines are very robust, you'll be fine.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:11 AM
brucegre
Banned

It's likely the cam sensor as stated, but one of the things that seems to cause that problem is the collapsed cats. We've had a lot of cat failures here in the east, and one close friend had the cam issue. When they were done analyzing and replacing, they replaced the cats as well.

My car had the same issues you're complaining about, once was the cats, once was low fuel pressure (threw that code, we just replaced the fuel pump). I don't quite understand how the problem was under warranty last week, but not this week - Porsche's not usually that nasty on warranty repairs like this, what's the story there?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Hi Bruce - they say the latest fault is an adjustment issue, and adjustments aren't covered under warranty...

Quick Reply: Poor running - diagnosis please!