CPO question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:41 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CPO question

I need some input guys...

I'm 90% through the process of purchasing a 2007 997 GT3. The car is listed on the Porsche dealership site as "Porsche Approved Certified Preowned Vehicle". I'm assuming I get the coverage included in my negotiated price. I just got a e-mail from the salesman saying "this car is approved for the extended warranty to 6 years or 100K miles at a cost of $1990." I said whoa, it's listed as CPO on your site, I assumed it was included, he says no.

thoughts?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

That just sounds shady to me..

Good luck w/ the GT3 purchase.. I assume you are going to let the R-Turbo go?!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I say nice try sleazy dealer. And in this economy when they NEED sales the last thing they should try is this crap. But I guess the sleaze doesn't leave when the economy tanks.

If it was advertised as CPO (print that off now!) then whatever price you negotiate from that listing is what is included.

There is way to much available on the market to deal with crap like that. Give him your NUMBER you are willing to pay inclusive of the CPO as it was listed and if they decline move on.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 PM
DRG13
Pro

I hear ya Dell, We had agreed on a number I thought...it was/is a sleazy move..the damn thing was marked CPO, it's not like I was trying to negotiate the CPO into the deal..

For now I was gonna keep the R-turbo and also get the 997 GT3, but it looks like my GT3 deal may be falling through the cracks..I'm afraid to fly across the country to pick the car up and find another surprise once I get their...
Old 10-27-2008, 07:25 PM
DRG13
Pro

Here was the response I got after I questioned having to pay for a CPO when the car was listed as a CPO car...

"All of our vehicles that qualify for the CPO Warranty are run through service to make sure they pass the Porsche inspection. They are considered certified but the actual warranty is optional. Most Porsche clients do not keep their vehicles long enough to benefit from the warranty and that is why we let our clients elect to take advantage of it or not."
Old 10-27-2008, 07:25 PM
abg123
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm...easy to answer. Either the car IS CPO'd right now, or it's not. Sounds like it's NOT certified, but at a small "charge", it could be. You'll see this game played by most dealers... but you have one hell of a trump card at the moment and thats this crappy economy.
Obviously it's to your advantage to have a CPO'd car and it's also to the dealers to move his inventory. Negotiate a price which includes the CPO. If you feel the Rep fro this dealer is yanking your chain..move on...there are quite a few 997 GT3's out there and plenty of dealers who are impatient to move them.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DRG13
Here was the response I got after I questioned having to pay for a CPO when the car was listed as a CPO car...

"All of our vehicles that qualify for the CPO Warranty are run through service to make sure they pass the Porsche inspection. They are considered certified but the actual warranty is optional. Most Porsche clients do not keep their vehicles long enough to benefit from the warranty and that is why we let our clients elect to take advantage of it or not."
What a load of sleazy crap. I wouldn't even bother with them anymore. Makes you wonder "what's next" with them especially if you flew in to buy it???

Another guy over on the 996 forum had something similar happen a year or two ago and they knew since he flew in they had him over a barrel. He flew back on his dime and walked away. I am sure they thought he was hook-line-sinker. ***-clowns!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM
DRG13
Pro

abg,
It's their listing and it's listed as a CPO'ed car, right now, in big giant CPO letters, big sticky sign on the windshield...If I was a total d i c k, I would put a link on here and show you guys...
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Nothing a quick "screen print" save as jpeg/pdf can't fix
Old 10-27-2008, 07:34 PM
DRG13
Pro

Dell,

Exactly, if I fly in on Friday as planned, they could pull any crap, they basically have me and that damn car sitting there would be begging me to drive her home the 1,500 miles and I know I'd say screw it, I'm here, let's do the deal..
Old 10-27-2008, 07:35 PM
DRG13
Pro

I saved it Dell, but I'm scared to fly in..
Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I saved it Dell, but I'm scared to fly in..
Only you can make that decision but if it were me I would have already bailed on the deal. These are wants, not needs, and they come up for sale almost daily. I spent over 2 years trying to find my GT3 and waiting until I got the car I knew I wanted and the deal that I was looking for. It helped that the seller was a great guy to deal with.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:16 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Where is the car? Agree on a price with the extended warranty and maybe a fellow rennlister with a 7GT3 will go have a look at it for you...
Old 10-27-2008, 11:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

dell and DRG, i dont work for dealers and i am with you on this one.
HOWEVER, almost "all" used porsches at dealers are CPO'd.
that's what the advertise.
but what they MEAN is they have been chk'd. not modded and are good enough to QUALIFY for CPO. if you want CPO, you pay for it. sux, iknow. but i have battled with several CA dealers and that's the consensus of what they mean when the advertize as CPO. it really just means CPO qualified.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 PM
abg123
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

abg,
It's their listing and it's listed as a CPO'ed car, right now, in big giant CPO letters, big sticky sign on the windshield...If I was a total d i c k, I would put a link on here and show you guys...

Ok..settle down. You aint gettin to the Supreme Court w/ your arguement. Value the car AND what a CPO means to you..make an offer and move on

Quick Reply: CPO question