Test drove a 996 GT3. Some questions:

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:41 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test drove a 996 GT3. Some questions:

Gentlemen,

I test drove a low mileage 2005 speed yellow 996 GT3 with PCCBs this morning. I liked it but not sure about some things:

How popular is speed yellow? When I saw the car I was unexpectedly surprised that the color was quite nice. Is yellow liveable or will I get tired after a while?

The seats in this car are 996 bucket seats in leather (not perlon). The interior is full leather in black. Is this a clubsport car? I did not see a fire extinguisher or a roll cage. I am not familiar with 996 specs so what did 996 clubsport package consist of? If the single mass flywheel was part of the package, how do I know if this car has it?

The steering wheel (leather) was a little too big for my liking. Were smaller diameter versions available for the 996 and if so, what type? (I prefer leather).

Are 2005 PCCB rotors generation 1 or generation 2? I liked the brakes because, unlike some steel brakes, they didn’t make any squeaking noises and had good modulation firm feel. If they are gen 1, what should I do?

I found Schmidt’s thread about RS uprights very interesting. What are the advantages of front callipers positioned lower down?
If the car that I’m thinking about is a clubsport w/ single mass flywheel, I would like fit RS uprights to complete the ‘package’. Can this be done without changing shocks as I don’t really want to pay 10k?

Handling- The car didn’t handle quite as well as the 2007 GT3 (w/pasm) that I test drove a couple of weeks ago. Also the steering wanted to pull to one side or to the other side on cambered roads. Is this normal?

The passenger footwell hardly had enough room for 2 legs. An adult front passenger could only stretch one leg and not stretch the other leg as there is some sort of a big carpet-covered footrest obstructing in the way. Are all 996s like that?

I look forward to your replies. Regards
Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The color is what you think of it. Not sure about that question.

Where are you? CS was available RoW but not to us here in the US.

You can get the standard wheel or the optional thicker wheel. However, some (like me) went with a cup wheel and quick disconnect

There are ONLY gen1 on the 6GT3 unless you were able to get a warranty replacement and got the dealer to do gen2.

while it "may" be better to locate the calipers down low, NOBODY is going to feel the difference.

7GT3 is setup more as a GT car right out of the box, the 6GT3 is not. It needs to be aligned and setup properly to provide a better ride. Regardless, the 7GT3 is a goo compromise if you need a city car.

Are you giving rides to NBA players? If not, then the footwell is space is fine. Did you have the seat all the way back?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:32 PM
_rocket
Racer

I'm from Europe. Were bucket seats available to US?

I think the steering wheel was standard.
Did Porsche recall all gen 1 owners? If not, why would Porsche change the rotors under warranty? Warranty does not cover rotors or pads.

Do you have any more info about aligning and setting up the car properly? When set up properly, does it handle as good as a 997 GT3?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The RoW CS owners will have to chime in with what the CS actually is.

You can figure out if the wheel is the standard size or the thicker size if you look at the options sticker. (CPZ I think)

There was NO recall of the gen1 rotors. Some people were able to argue that there was a defect with their rotors and got waranty replacement. Defects are warrantied.

Setup properly it drives like a dream. As far as "as good" as a 7GT3 is totally subjective. I think a 7GT3 might be easier to drive setup properly but they are different cars.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

To get more legroom, do a search for GT3 center console delete.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 PM
_rocket
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
You can figure out if the wheel is the standard size or the thicker size if you look at the options sticker. (CPZ I think)
What was the diameter (not thickness) of CPZ? And what about XPA? According to this link http://www.automotive.com/2005/101/p...ges/index.html the XPA was tilt adjustable. True or false?
The steering wheel of the car that I drove today was NOT tilt adjustable (but was telescopic adjustable), so I guess the wheel was standard.

There was NO recall of the gen1 rotors. Some people were able to argue that there was a defect with their rotors and got waranty replacement. Defects are warrantied..
Thanks for the heads up.

To get more legroom, do a search for GT3 center console delete.
No no it's not by the centre tunnel. It's by the door's side.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:17 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

XPA is the standard wheel covered in interior color leather.
CPZ is the thicker steering wheeel.
There was not a tilt steering column as an available option.

Try these alignment settings...you'll love it...

GT3 Mk-II (2004-2005) Kussumaul

Front Axle

ride height 115 mm +5 mm -0 mm (same as stock)
Toe Unpressed (total) +5'
Toe difference angle at 20deg lock -1º 20' ± 30'
Camber (with wheels in straight-ahead position) -2.5º ± 5', max. difference, left to right, 5'
Caster 8º ± 30' (same as stock), max. difference, left to right, 30'
Stabilizer setting 4 (1=softest/outermost) (same as stock)

Rear Axle

ride height 128 mm +5 mm -0 mm (same as stock)
Toe per wheel +35' ± 2', max. difference, left to right 5' (same as stock)
Camber -2.3º 50' ± 5', max. difference, left to right 10' (same as stock)
stabilizer setting 4 (1=softest/outermost)

Bucket seats were not an available option in the US. They are commonly purchased from Porsche dealers and installed.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That covers it!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts
Default clubsport

Originally Posted by _rocket
I'm from Europe. Were bucket seats available to US?

I think the steering wheel was standard.
Did Porsche recall all gen 1 owners? If not, why would Porsche change the rotors under warranty? Warranty does not cover rotors or pads.

Do you have any more info about aligning and setting up the car properly? When set up properly, does it handle as good as a 997 GT3?

It is my understanding (as a North American mind you) that in Europe, the clubsport was a "no cost option" that included full clubsport roll cage, nomex Bucket seats, harnesses, fire bottle and battery cut off switch.

If the car you tested only had the seats of all these clubsport items then i would ask the seller if the seats were optioned or bought afterwards?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

the CS kit was a package, so this car is not a CS. you'd have a roll cage, fire ext. etc as TCS above noted.

leather bucket seats are an aftermarket or dealer purchased addition.

confused as to what you mean about the footwell, but maybe the previous owner installed some sort of stereo component there? subwoofers or something...other than that I've got no clue and have never felt obstructed with legroom in these cars.

about the PCCB- if you search the forum you'll be able to see that a lot of 996GT3 owners use different pads, or have swapped out the ceramic rotors for iron cup car rotors, or other brands- much less expensive and easier to source if and when your rotors go bad.

the 996 gt3 is mostly non-computer aided, and is more geared towards a track or smooth road car
997 gt3 is a better city car because you can set the suspension on soft mode.

both perform extremely well and with proper settings, such as noted above.

they will perform within a 1-3 seconds of each other on the track, which basically means that the driver makes a bigger difference than any mechanical aspects of the car.

best of luck on your decision!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:36 AM
john0719
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CS from the factory. From the sound of things, you do not. And no, the CS doesn't come with single mass flywheel.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:24 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ...

Originally Posted by _rocket
...How popular is speed yellow? When I saw the car I was unexpectedly surprised that the color was quite nice. Is yellow liveable or will I get tired after a while?...
If you have to ask, DON'T do Speed Yellow.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:22 PM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Note about Roland Kussmaul's settings: I believe that the rear toe is 17' +-2' per wheel; total toe 35' +-2'

Quick Reply: Test drove a 996 GT3. Some questions: