Sponsored by:

Peformance Friction brakes / pagid / squeeling

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 04:46 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Peformance Friction brakes / pagid / squeeling

I've just put PFC front dicsc and pads on the GT3 and changed the rear pads to Pagid RS29 (Yellow).

Renewed all the relevant parts too (caliper bolts, shims, retaining clips etc).

Carried out bedding-in process according to Pagid instructions.

Brilliant braking performance and now (unlike the OE set-up) very quiet under heavy braking.

But, at speeds under about 15mph there's constant screeching...goes away if I touch the brakes.

Is this likely to be the PFC or the Pagid? Any experience out there to shed some light?

Any solutions, or is it a case of something I have to live with if I want this level of braking performance?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:30 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pads are very thick and pad material is also very abrasive. It is all normal and that's why I swap pads if I have more than a week in between events.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not easy to identify which pad it could be but very simply the brakes are NOT up to full temp and the sound you are hearing is that very reason. Of course there could be alternative explanations but this makes the most logical sense. Heck, mine make sound on track at slow speed with small application until I really get on them.

By the way, why in the world do you have mixed pads/brands?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
........Heck, mine make sound on track at slow speed with small application until I really get on them.....

Fes up Dell You've NEVER been on the track AT SLOW SPEED !!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Busted! You got me Eddie. I am either at ***** to the wall or at a stop in the paddock
Old 08-29-2008, 09:40 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mixing pads is not recommended. Still if they squeal suggests not as well bedded in as you think. I find them noisy only after too many road miles which erode the transfer layer.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 AM
batemmj
AutoX

Could be the new pads are rubbing slightly, might be at a slight angle at which they are mounted. Get some decent miles on the brakes and see if the pads wear to fit the discs a bit better in terms of surface to surface.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DanH
mixing pads is not recommended. Still if they squeal suggests not as well bedded in as you think. I find them noisy only after too many road miles which erode the transfer layer.
THen indications point to the Pagid since PFC do NOT require bedding.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
THen indications point to the Pagid since PFC do NOT require bedding.
Yeah RS29s definitely can do this if not bedded. I got a 2nd hand set in an emergency and didn't bet them in before going to track today. They were squealing when I wasn't using them at low speeds too. Few hours on track has cured it.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:01 AM
harris_i
Track Day

Not sure why some are recommending not to mix pads - it's not always a bad thing. Overegging the rear pads can give you issues with braking balance when you're really on it (depends on which pads).

I use Alcon floating disks and RS29s up front with OEM disks and RS421 or OEM pads at the back. When I ran RS29s rear as well, the balance was wrong - maybe it was specific to my car. Never had an issue in competitive events lasting around 25 minutes in hot weather (up to 45C) on a medium to high speed circuit with some big braking corners. Squeals on the road and at low speed (that's the RS29s) and I get a pinking sound on the road (that's the floating disks). 8000rpm drowns out both noises.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Pad composition is what we are talking about no brand compound. Run a 19 in front and 14 in rear to get more bias if you like Pagid or run the 97 in front and 01 in rear if you like PFC.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:04 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Hi - update.

Squeeling appears to have disappeared. Looks like pads just needed time to settle in.

Re mis-matched pads. I'm running PF 01 at the front and the Pagid RS29 at the rear. I was tempted to leave the rear stock, but with the increased front performance felt it wise to upgrade the rears.

I'll see how it is after first track day and then either go PF at the rear too, or RS29 at the front (after suitable modification to clear the bells)
Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robmug
Hi - update.

Squeeling appears to have disappeared. Looks like pads just needed time to settle in.

Re mis-matched pads. I'm running PF 01 at the front and the Pagid RS29 at the rear. I was tempted to leave the rear stock, but with the increased front performance felt it wise to upgrade the rears.

I'll see how it is after first track day and then either go PF at the rear too, or RS29 at the front (after suitable modification to clear the bells)
I'm curious - why did you choose Pagid rear rather than matching PF? They'll have different temperature characteristics which means you brake balance might change depending on how hot your brakes are. People sometimes do this on purpose to adjust the bias with the same brand, but can't say I've ever felt the need.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanH
I'm curious - why did you choose Pagid rear rather than matching PF? They'll have different temperature characteristics which means you brake balance might change depending on how hot your brakes are. People sometimes do this on purpose to adjust the bias with the same brand, but can't say I've ever felt the need.

I happened to have a set of RS29 (front and rear) and nearly made the decision to use the pagid on the front. Can always change..
Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Further, why would you INCREASE the brake bias up front? The PFC01 pad is a much more aggressive pad than the RS-29.

Quick Reply: Peformance Friction brakes / pagid / squeeling