Sponsored by:

Cigarette Lighter / Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:26 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter / Electrical Issues

I just noticed my cigarette lighter stopped working. I use it all the time with a trickle charger and my air compressor. Is this a simple fuse that I can replace myself and what is the cost?

I noticed strange electrical things happening when I started using the new Traqmate Sync cable which does not have a ground -- the old one did. My service place also mentioned I had an issue with my hard-wired Traqmate power connection. Also, during this time my Traqmate Display Unit blew up -- the internal components which had to be replaced.

I will be bringing my car to get looked at (past warranty period..) so I wanted to get an idea what to expect.

All lights, turn signals, A/C, wipers, etc.. are working fine.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Sell it to someone with a Jag...it'll be an upgrade for them.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:11 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Any more thoughts?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me....no apparent cause. Suddenly the trickle charger stopped working. I was a fuse...the diagram explaining what fuse it is is tucked away under the fuse door. If I remember correctly it is row 4, 5th fuse in. Green blade fuse 15 amp.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:57 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Trip to the dealer???

Rodneyr, just run out to the garage and rule out a blown fuse first! Like Leigh2 said, lower left kick panel holds the diagram... Row D, fuse #5, 15A is the one for the cig lighter.

Pull it and see if it's blown. ATC Blade fuses can be had for free at your local auto parts store... they usually have tons of them sitting around.

Your Traqmate setup probably had a short that tripped the fuse.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:02 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Default Fuse Found

Much Thanks Leigh2 & RJFabCab!

With your guidance I pulled off the fuse cover to see the tons of fuses of many colors. After looking at the fuse area closer I was able to see the Columns A,B,C,E and the Rows 1,2,3,4,5, etc.. Also, inside the cover was instruction diagram that listed all the fuse assignments.

I located the cigarette lighter fuse and pulled it out by hand. I could not tell it was blown just by looking at the single fuse, so I pulled out another fuse to compare. It was obvious that the fuse was blown when I looked at a good fuse because there was no connection between the left side and right side of the fuse.

I will look into finding the proper replacement.

So, I confirmed why my cigarette lighter just stopped working. It is still a little mystery that the fuse still worked a few weeks after my traqmate display unit was blown. Maybe the fuse was damaged because of the traqmate and finally broke and stopped working over time. A bent DIN pin from my traqmate display unit could have been an issue that started the problem and an issue with the traqmate hard-wired power.

I am attaching a picture of the fuse and the cover of the diagram manual. Fuses and be easily replaced so don't be afraid to pull off the fuse cover and investigage.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter / Electrical Issues