Sponsored by:

Debate over mounting 6-Point to GT3 Seats vs. Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:26 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XLR8N-FAN
I ran this debate past the SD-PCA rules guru. He says the seatbelts have to be mounted to the sub-floor. I would hate to get ready for an event and find that there is a debate over my belts being properly mounted.
For my region's PCA newsletter, the Sept '08 issue had an article written by the "Club Racing Chair" that harnesses with lap belts/sub belts mounted to the GT3 seats are "...no good...Period! The reason behind having the belts mounted to the chassis is because, in an incident, there is the possiblity of the seat breaking off the seat rails and or mounting bolts (this has happened)." He further provided the excerpt from the club race rule book about belts.

Then in the Oct '08 issue of the newletter, the "Safety Steward" wrote an article in response to member inquires regarding the lab belts/sub belts attached to the GT3 seats and in response to the previous month's article regading GT3 harnasses.

He disclosed that upon contacting the "proper authorities", there was no definitive "safe" answer but a "recommended and acceptable" solution.

And then wrote: "The lap belts are attached to the seat brackets which in turn are attached to the seat rails which is acceptable. It appears that Porsche feels the bolts holding the seat down to te chassis and the bolts holding the seat to the bracket are strong enough for the seatbelt attachment and strong enough to retain the seat in position in an impact."

This method was also as described in the Schroth installation manuals for GT3 harnesses mounted to GT3 seats.

The issue with the sub belts was that they were being installed on the GT3 seat's release lever bar.

Sub belts must be mounted to the sub belt bar (Porsche part# 99652193390) or equivalent (Brey Krause R-9030 Anti-Sub Strap Mount).
Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8N-FAN
There is a sub-floor under the seat with attachment holes already made. There is NO DRILLING required. Just a lot of patience to get a washer and nut under the sub-floor. Take out the carpet and you will see them (even for the anti-sub belt).
Does anyone have pics of this?

I want to install my harnesses this week and will bolt them to the floor as they seats never move, one advantage of being tall I guess

Quick Reply: Debate over mounting 6-Point to GT3 Seats vs. Chassis