Bolt in cage

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:24 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bolt in cage

Hi,

I'd like something more confidence inspiring then the Teq bar. I'm on the fence between a bolt in cage and a custom welded cage. Granted the welded is better on all levels but I'm hesitant to tear up my dash for the front bits. Anyone here have a bolt in cage they can recommend? I'd like to hear/see different options.
My car is 90% track but I do enjoy a Sunday drive through the canyons. I'd also like to know how POC/PCA rules factor into your decisions.

Thanks,

V
Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by va122
Hi,

I'd like something more confidence inspiring then the Teq bar. I'm on the fence between a bolt in cage and a custom welded cage. Granted the welded is better on all levels but I'm hesitant to tear up my dash for the front bits. Anyone here have a bolt in cage they can recommend? I'd like to hear/see different options.
My car is 90% track but I do enjoy a Sunday drive through the canyons. I'd also like to know how POC/PCA rules factor into your decisions.

Thanks,

V
GMG is currently constructing a bolt in half "cage" for me. Specs/pics should be up within a week. It will have 6 rear mount points and an optional shock tower brace for added rigidity.

I'm not sure anyone makes a full bolt in cage. It would be quite difficult as the front mounts need to be welded to the chassis as the floor is extremely thin
Old 07-24-2008, 04:13 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a race that started life as a street car with bolt in bar. I nearly walked away from the car because I felt it didn't offer enough protection. I bought it anyway and had a knee-bar welded in front of the dash. We also put in NASCAR styled crash protection in the doors.
Check out the pictures here
Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BrokeAss
I bought a race that started life as a street car with bolt in bar. I nearly walked away from the car because I felt it didn't offer enough protection. I bought it anyway and had a knee-bar welded in front of the dash. We also put in NASCAR styled crash protection in the doors.
Check out the pictures here
That's pretty cool
Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

V, you got PM

terry, nice car. we got two nuts here in CA just did what you have done. maybe they will chime in.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:27 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
terry, nice car. we got two nuts here in CA just did what you have done. maybe they will chime in.
The car has CF doors and that skinny little bar across the drivers pelvis didn't inspire me with confidence. The revised bars come extend into the hollow door shell and will dissipate some energy as they crush inward before anything impacts the driver. The knee bar also helps stiffen the cage.

So to V's original question, I didn't feel comfortable with a bolt-in cage. That's why I had bits welded onto it until I felt safer.

Now, if you put a bolt in cage in a street car with airbags and OEM doors, you've got "layered" protection. Put in a proper race seat, with harnesses and a HANS device - and I'd feel OK with a bolt in cage.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:37 PM
va122
Drifting

Thanks Terry, I like the dash bar, Colby I was talking to Fabryce yesterday about that half cage and think I'll go with it if I don't have a custom one made
Old 07-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago I used a www.safetydevices.com bolt in cage in a competition car. Fortunately the cage was never "tested" but did meet the rules of the day. I see that the US distributor is http://www.stableenergies.com/ Might be worth giving them a call to see if they have a cage for a 996.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Terry, I like the dash bar, Colby I was talking to Fabryce yesterday about that half cage and think I'll go with it if I don't have a custom one made
Ya, that's probably the easiest solution. And i'm pretty excited to see how it turns out!

I was going to say come up North and have Tony at TC Design make you a custom cage but that's a good 16 hours round trip and you'd have to leave the car there...
Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 PM
va122
Drifting

I use Impact Engineering for track support in San Jose for Club racing and I probably will have them custom fab me a cage.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

I use Impact Engineering for track support in San Jose for Club racing and I probably will have them custom fab me a cage.
Ah, very good. If you're still curious about GMG's half cage i'll have pics and specs up in a about a week.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I sold my Teq roll bar and had Rudtner Racing put in a Safety Devices Cage. The footings have to be welded in, both in the front below the "A" pillar and in the rear directly to the shock towers. Stock dash was not effected and I had the whole thing powder coated in guards red to match the car. Safety first!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:18 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,473 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Vic, Sorry about sat where are you going with this, club racing in the Gt3?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:21 AM
va122
Drifting

Thanks Pete, My wallet hurts more then my body.

Well my 2 choices are to buy this IP car thats under construction and put my drive train in it. Or...race the GT3. It's pretty much a cup car in need of a diet at this point anyway. I just can't bear to see it wrecked.

The smart thing to do is sell the GT3 and buy the IP car and use the change to race. Not gonna happen I'm too emotionally and financially invested in it. Plus the wife insists I keep it. Go figure

I'm just going to keep training with VJ and Craig and then make my decision from there. Can't train enough right?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:25 AM
va122
Drifting

Rick do you have any pics? I couldn't see it on their web site

Quick Reply: Bolt in cage