Sponsored by:

Helmets: Bigger Eyeport v. Lighter weight

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmets: Bigger Eyeport v. Lighter weight

Guys thanks for all the helmet help. I went to Wine Country Motorsports today and tried on helmets for about 45 minutes and found two to my liking...The...

Bell M4-Pro and HJC Si-12

Both fit my head extremely well and have equally good ventilation properties. Here's where my debate lies...

The M4-Pro (3.2lbs) has a noticably wider eyeport but the Si-12 weighs 2 oz less (3lbs even) and has a better weight distribution design (ie. the weight is centered lowered) so it feels a lot lighter. And while the eyeport on the Si-12 is HJC's wide eye design is it noticably smaller than Bell's. What do you guys think? I'm leaning toward the wider eyeport. TIA!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:55 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

the wider eyeport can be an advantage especially if you are going to use a Hans device as head movement from side to side will be less and peripheral vision will become more important...either helmet will probably serve you well...your call...
Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
the wider eyeport can be an advantage especially if you are going to use a Hans device as head movement from side to side will be less and peripheral vision will become more important...either helmet will probably serve you well...your call...
Ya i'll be using a HANS in a couple years. Thanks for the advice though Chuck!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

i like to have as small an eyeport as possible
BUT

if you wear glasses, some ppl cant stuff their glasses in tiny eyeports.

also, how much peripheral vision do you have. i can roll my pupil almost all the way into the eye socket, you see very little black part left. what i am saying is i have a lot of peripheral vision. if not, a small eyeport with hans restriction, you may not see much on the side.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:19 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I am on my second Bell M4 Pro, which I got because of the large eye-port as well. I wear sunglasses, and they fit without any problem. I've found it to be very comfortable. While I'd like to have a lighter one, I don't know if I'd notice 2 oz. Maybe the weight distribution is more important than actual weight. My guess is that you'd be happy with either. You are very fortunate to have a place to try them on. Out here in the "vast middle", I don't have that opportunity.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Ya i'll be using a HANS in a couple years. Thanks for the advice though Chuck!
Hans now
wide eyeport
Hans now

I would get Hans before exhaust...

Okay -- I am done being safety nanny...
Old 07-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
i like to have as small an eyeport as possible
BUT

if you wear glasses, some ppl cant stuff their glasses in tiny eyeports.

also, how much peripheral vision do you have. i can roll my pupil almost all the way into the eye socket, you see very little black part left. what i am saying is i have a lot of peripheral vision. if not, a small eyeport with hans restriction, you may not see much on the side.
Wow, if that's any gauge of peripheral vision mine is terrible. When i roll my eyes up i only get about half the pupil gone...

Now i can see why you'd go with the GP-5

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I am on my second Bell M4 Pro, which I got because of the large eye-port as well. I wear sunglasses, and they fit without any problem. I've found it to be very comfortable. While I'd like to have a lighter one, I don't know if I'd notice 2 oz. Maybe the weight distribution is more important than actual weight. My guess is that you'd be happy with either. You are very fortunate to have a place to try them on. Out here in the "vast middle", I don't have that opportunity.
Ya it was actually noticable when tired the helmets on. Even more so when i held them side by side. The Si-12 is an incredibly light helmet
Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Hans now
wide eyeport
Hans now

I would get Hans before exhaust...

Okay -- I am done being safety nanny...
Now that i think about it, that probably would have been the smart choice even though i will be with an instructor and wont be racing for another 2-3 years. Too bad the exhaust is already paid for... I think in a couple months i'll pick one up.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 AM
lost it
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isnt periphial vision based on what you can see off to the side without moving your eyes ? i thought it was the persons ability to detect movement whilst looking ahead and i believe that the human eye is very sensitive to this type of movement.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't already have them, get the sliding tethers for your Hans, which allows side to side movement of your head.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Open for discussion here but why a full face helmet for lapping or DE days? An open face helmet is lighter, better for communicating with instructors, and I've heard easier on the neck if air bags go off.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
If you don't already have them, get the sliding tethers for your Hans, which allows side to side movement of your head.
Thanks, already considered them.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Open for discussion here but why a full face helmet for lapping or DE days? An open face helmet is lighter, better for communicating with instructors, and I've heard easier on the neck if air bags go off.
I suppose with that thinking only saving money in the long run when i have to buy a full face for racing... You've got a good point though.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:14 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2

To each their own, but I've used only full face helmets for the 21 years I've been doing this. Twenty of that, my cars had no airbags, but I put a race wheel with a QR in the GT3 any way. It's not just in a head on crash that FF is important. If you get spun around, or the car's path deviates, or there is a second (or even third) impact; your head could hit anywhere.

I've used Bell Vortex helmets for the last 10 years and love them. The eyeport is smallish, but I wear glasses and have no issues.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I've similar experience and used a full face for racing with the full suit. I switched to an open face for instructing as it was too hard communicating with chin guard and visor. Now with the easy availability of electronic communicators it's less of an issue. I use a Bell Mag 4 SA2005 so it's good for multiple hits unlike an M helmet. It comes down to personal preference I suppose. I certainly find the light weight a benefit. I'll see if I can find that article I read on full face helmets with air bags and post it.

Quick Reply: Helmets: Bigger Eyeport v. Lighter weight