Sponsored by:

best track tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05gt-3jeff
looking for a street/track application. i know the cup sports are standard on the 997 gt3rs.
has anyone been using these and how are they doing.
When referring to 997 GT3 standard tires always use quotes around "Michelin Pilot Sport Cup". They are different from the real 18" PSCs. Bigger grooves and harder compound. They were made such so that owners of 997 GT3s could brag how they have track tires standard but not spin out on the way to the restaurant where they are going to do the bragging.
They are still a decent tire and are probably better as a street/track combo but don't have the same level of dry grip on the track.

18" PSCs is where it's at.
Note that 295/30/18 is the widest 18" PSC available now. The 305 and 315 18" PSCs have been discontinued. So 997 GT3 and RS guys are SOL with those. So it's either Hoosier R6 (pretty much a no-no on the street) or Toyo R888 (get ready to point-by 996 GT3s on PSCs)
Yoko A048 are good for like 4 heat cycles and then fall off sharply. And make your car sound like a dive bomber down the straight.

I drove on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on the street and other than being stiff I didn't notice any issues. I don't drive the car on the street fast enough to get into any sort of trouble even if they don't stick when cool. I haven't tried heavy rain but I understand it could get a bit hairy. Just find a place to hang out during rain.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1000 on the Hooters!

However, Ra-1s are the best all purpose tire. Unfortunately they are discontinued. R888 do not compare. The NT-01s are close but I found the 315s to induce some understeer on our cars. Granted a click of the Motons clears that up.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 05gt-3jeff
thanks !
would be 50/50 track -street
If that's the case, and depending on how many miles you're talking about and how much track experience you have, having a separate track wheel/tire combo is a no-brainer. If you're a novice tracker, then a compromise track/street set might work, but if you have any experience, and will be running the car hard on the track from the outset, you'd be well advised to spend the $ on a separate set. Also, consider wear issues if you have a proper track alignment.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
When referring to 997 GT3 standard tires always use quotes around "Michelin Pilot Sport Cup". They are different from the real 18" PSCs. Bigger grooves and harder compound. They were made such so that owners of 997 GT3s could brag how they have track tires standard but not spin out on the way to the restaurant where they are going to do the bragging.
They are still a decent tire and are probably better as a street/track combo but don't have the same level of dry grip on the track.

18" PSCs is where it's at.
Note that 295/30/18 is the widest 18" PSC available now. The 305 and 315 18" PSCs have been discontinued. So 997 GT3 and RS guys are SOL with those. So it's either Hoosier R6 (pretty much a no-no on the street) or Toyo R888 (get ready to point-by 996 GT3s on PSCs)
Yoko A048 are good for like 4 heat cycles and then fall off sharply. And make your car sound like a dive bomber down the straight.

I drove on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on the street and other than being stiff I didn't notice any issues. I don't drive the car on the street fast enough to get into any sort of trouble even if they don't stick when cool. I haven't tried heavy rain but I understand it could get a bit hairy. Just find a place to hang out during rain.
Hahahahaahah!!!!!

Yea MPSC's I didn't like, I did like PSC's when they heat up though, has a great feel within cornering and so on... BUT getting up to that point, I just never felt totally comfortable with those tires, my R888's are much wider but also have so much more grip, it just gives up some steering feel and a little more flex in sidewall, a new feeling to get use too!

Quick Reply: best track tires