Sponsored by:

Oh, So That's What a Sway Bar Does

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008 | 12:12 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Default Oh, So That's What a Sway Bar Does

As I've mentioned in a post or two here, I'm new to GT3 ownership with all of 3 days of track time in my '04. It's a HUGE step forward from the 964 I've been pedaling for the last 6 years. So with that out of the way, let's get to the amusing story.

I'm was running at Sebring and having a great time! I noticed the inside edge of the rear tires was wearing faster than the outer. One side looked a little worse than other, so I decided to swap tires left-to-right since I couldn't flip 'em on the rims trackside.

So I hop in the car and grid up for what will be the last run of the day. Everything is good, out of the pits and into the carousel. Heading towards the ninety degree left-hander in turn 3, I hit the brakes and car jumps unpredictably.
"What the hell was that?"
I rationalize that the car is just "nervous" because I swapped the tires left-to-right - they're cold and going the "wrong" direction. Now heading into the hairpin at 7, I get on the brakes and the car acts a like the ball in a roulette wheel - you know it's gonna stop, but have no idea where. The rear of the car was dancing all over the place and I had to release some break pressure and chase it halfway across the racing surface to keep it under me.
(How come we don't have a smilie for puckered butt cheeks?)
Back into the pits - I'm done for now. This thing is scaring me! Who'da thunk swapping tires would make a car so nervous?

Turns out the rest of the day was rained out and I didn't get any more time on the track, so the car goes onto the trailer before I have chance to tinker with it some more.

Later that week back at the "crack house" they have the car up on a lift and the rear sway bar is dangling. Doohhhh!
Swapping tires had nothing to do with it. The nut on the rear sway bar just back itself off on the racetrack. Now I know what that sway bar does!

Now the sway bar is fastened with nylock nuts - that oughta keep it in place!
Old 07-18-2008 | 12:36 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

When the car was new to me, I found that the bolts back off quite easily. You will hear "clanking" from underneath the car when it's loose. Thankfully, it never backed off all the way.

I use a drop of the removable Locktite on each bolt after I change the settings to keep them in place.
Old 07-18-2008 | 01:08 PM
Holger B
Race Car

When mine was new, the front one came loose (very common problem with GT3's). You can't miss that one. It sounds like someone hammering on your suspension.

Never heard of the back getting loose.
Old 07-18-2008 | 01:38 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

This car has no interior and no mufflers - straight exhaust. You can't hear anything!

Old 07-18-2008 | 01:54 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

^^^ That is too cool!
Old 07-18-2008 | 02:03 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C4 Guy
This car has no interior and no mufflers - straight exhaust. You can't hear anything!

LoL. Is that a street gt3 converted to race car? Or, sorta like a factory cup? Look sweet! Your first post is funny.
Old 07-18-2008 | 02:30 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by datax
LoL. Is that a street gt3 converted to race car? Or, sorta like a factory cup? Look sweet! Your first post is funny.
Yes, It started life as a beautiful 2004 996 GT3. The original owner is a fantastic driver and he autocrossed it quite a bit, then started taking it to a few D.E.'s. He couldn't resist the lure of the dark-side, gutted the car and started whooping *ss here in Florida in PBOC's R2 race group.

Now it's mine!
Old 07-18-2008 | 04:10 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

terry glad to hear you didn't buy any armco...and the interior on your car looks awesome. for the past few months I've been thinking about finding a 996Gt3 and doing the same thing to it.
Old 07-18-2008 | 04:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
terry glad to hear you didn't buy any armco...and the interior on your car looks awesome. for the past few months I've been thinking about finding a 996Gt3 and doing the same thing to it.
4 large is dong the same right NOW.
so go for it.
Old 07-19-2008 | 12:59 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
4 large is dong the same right NOW.
so go for it.
well we shall see what happens to my DE desires (aka budget) once I actually start racing this fall...I'd rather buy a PCA legal car that has already had the work done- that way I can run my MX-5 in and around texas and the porsche in california.
Old 07-19-2008 | 03:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
well we shall see what happens to my DE desires (aka budget) once I actually start racing this fall...I'd rather buy a PCA legal car that has already had the work done- that way I can run my MX-5 in and around texas and the porsche in california.
just buy a cup car and be my hero!
Old 07-19-2008 | 03:51 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
just buy a cup car and be my hero!
didn't I tell you the same thing last week?

but seriously I'll get one when it's time.*

*time to buy a cup car is defined by me having 7 figures in my bank account
Old 07-19-2008 | 01:01 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

This is "slightly" (ha!) off-topic but carn3rd has a biblical quote in his signature from what he says is Isaiah 40:13. This quite mentions "Him who died for me," which seems very very unlikely, since Isaiah is an Old Testament book. The actual text of that is (from the New International Version):

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Maybe carn3rd would re-do his citation? (Also, I don't see his text anywhere in the Book.)

Quick Reply: Oh, So That's What a Sway Bar Does