Best places in the Bay to get race gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
winecountry aslo have both brands.
you will not feel the wt when you wear it. it's after you drove 200 miles, the next day you will.
LOL! I see. Maybe i should just pony up and get a GP-5K than. I'll make a trip out there tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:27 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
the next day you will.
AMEN to that Mooty! Your just don't know unless you've been through it (driving real hard)!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:38 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
LOL! I see. Maybe i should just pony up and get a GP-5K than. I'll make a trip out there tomorrow.
Yup, paying for light weight. I tried on several (Bell, HJC, and Arai) and the Aria's fit me the best. I went with the GP-5W (wider eye-port) and like it so far.

Just make sure you get one that fits correctly and comfortably regardless of the brand. They all have different shape characteristics.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mjb
Yup, paying for light weight. I tried on several (Bell, HJC, and Arai) and the Aria's fit me the best. I went with the GP-5W (wider eye-port) and like it so far.

Just make sure you get one that fits correctly and comfortably regardless of the brand. They all have different shape characteristics.
Thanks, i'll go to Wine Country MS tomorrow and try a couple on.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Colby,

I was over at Livermore performance on Sat to try on helmets as well! I must say they are a GREAT bunch of guys there! I settled on there cheapest Bell helmet, as this is my first race helmet. I was able to try out all their helmets and they were great to explain the differences between them. I highly highly recommend them!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 PM
itacud
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you're not sure how the weight will feel after a long time in the helmet, it does help to try on a couple of helmets back to back. The weight difference between them will be obvious right away. The lightest, (and/or most ventilated, etc...) helmet you feel like paying for is usually what you'll want in the long run. Some SA helmets now also have wider eye-ports, a la the moto helmets, which I strongly prefer. You may also want to test your helmet choices in your seating position in your car, to check for head clearance. I've had clearance issues with some big tops.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by itacud
Even if you're not sure how the weight will feel after a long time in the helmet, it does help to try on a couple of helmets back to back. The weight difference between them will be obvious right away. The lightest, (and/or most ventilated, etc...) helmet you feel like paying for is usually what you'll want in the long run. Some SA helmets now also have wider eye-ports, a la the moto helmets, which I strongly prefer. You may also want to test your helmet choices in your seating position in your car, to check for head clearance. I've had clearance issues with some big tops.
Thanks Partha. I think i'll be ok head room wise, you're quite a bit taller than me. And i'm definitely going to try on a couple different ones. Breathing and ventilation are very important and i wouldnt mind paying a couple extra to get the right helmet. See you on the 16th!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chasen1211
Hey Colby,

I was over at Livermore performance on Sat to try on helmets as well! I must say they are a GREAT bunch of guys there! I settled on there cheapest Bell helmet, as this is my first race helmet. I was able to try out all their helmets and they were great to explain the differences between them. I highly highly recommend them!
Sounds good. Chasen will you be driving the C4S on track soon?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea! planning to do my 4th Thill event that Mooty suggested on the 16/17 of august. It will by my first PCA event, so i'll be doing the ground school, which they are holding that day at the track. I'm really excited!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chasen1211
Yea! planning to do my 4th Thill event that Mooty suggested on the 16/17 of august. It will by my first PCA event, so i'll be doing the ground school, which they are holding that day at the track. I'm really excited!
Sounds good. I'll see you there.

Quick Reply: Best places in the Bay to get race gear