Sponsored by:

Aftermarket GT3 Seats - Maxspeed ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 PM
NOBY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
The OEM seat frame is made of Carbon fibre and the replicas posted in this topic are made from Kevlar. It is practically same material, Dupont has just patented the Kevlar as their product name.
The methods for making the frame are most propably identical (vacuum bag + oven) but one would expect better quality assurance from the OEM manufacturer than from a replica factory somewhere in Asia.
With regards to safety, the biggest difference is probably in the construction, i.e. how the fibres/mats are laid and how they are designed to break apart when it's tome to give in. The replica manufacturer propably has put no tought into this issue...
Are u sure the OEM are made of carbon fiber and not glas fiber? I know the replicas are made in carbon and kevlar, kevlar I havent seen but I had a set before and the color is yellow havent seen any of them on ebay tho. But I know OEM have carbon fiber rear but those are like twice as the standards.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

I have a pair of the Recaro Porsche seats available, with mounting brackets.

If anyones interested drop me a PM.

Kevin
Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Original recaro GT3 seats are made of Fiber glass and not carbon fibre. They have a CF model but like NOBY stated, those are twice the price.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

The OEM seat frame is made of Carbon fibre and the replicas posted in this topic are made from Kevlar. ...
Mine are not carbon fiber. It's a plastic of some sort, I would think. There is a set made of cf, but those are not the normal.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CWay27
Original recaro GT3 seats are made of Fiber glass and not carbon fibre. They have a CF model but like NOBY stated, those are twice the price.
+2, mine are fiber glass as well, OEM gt3 seats!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok, my bad sorry! I remember reading a magazine test with a mk2 GT3 Club Sport and the article said the seats are made of carbon fibre...

How do you know they are glass fibre?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Ok, my bad sorry! I remember reading a magazine test with a mk2 GT3 Club Sport and the article said the seats are made of carbon fibre...

How do you know they are glass fibre?
Because I had two sets in the last year...... If the least expensive set is 2600$ and and the Carbon fibre option is 3000$ a seat (6K a set), what does that tell you??
Old 04-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Because I had two sets in the last year...... If the least expensive set is 2600$ and and the Carbon fibre option is 3000$ a seat (6K a set), what does that tell you??
Sounds logical but often the difference can be just aesthetical. i.e. the frame can be made of carbon fibre but if it gets a tinted gel coat (read: paint on top), one does not need to worry about how the CF mats are placed. (Seams, direction etc.). Whereas for the ones that have clear gel coat (no tint) and the CF is visible, a lot of time and effort has to be put into making sure the CF is laid in a manner that is aesthatically pleasant. This often means that more CF cloth is used because you cannot have visible seams etc.

What I'm trying to say is that having a painted part does not automatically mean it's glass fibre instead of Carbon fibre, it can be either.

On the other hand, the price difference you showed is so big (even with the Porsche premium) that it may well be that the cheaper seats have a glass fibre frame. Is there any difference in weight? That would be the first place you would notice difference.

With regards to manufacturing and materials, the CF costs more and is more laborous/harder to fabricate but it cannot justify that big of a difference so there is definately a nice Porsche premium on the CF model.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:54 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I know what your saying Juha but after undoing the side mounts and playing them to get as low as possible, I can definitely say that they're made of glass fibre.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:04 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

My OE seats are now for sale:
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale-ads-member-to-member-fs-wtb-free/426381-fs-euro-gt3-seats-996-986-a.html

Quick Reply: Aftermarket GT3 Seats - Maxspeed ?