Sponsored by:

tough shift from 2nd to 1st...syncros??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:04 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Bishop
I have a question on the mechanics of everything that might help with the answer.

What is the difference "mechanically" in a car with syncros of rev matching (single) clutch heal toe (blip before release of clutch) and old school double clutching where as you release the clutch in Neutral with a constant RPM, while downshifting and then press/release the clutch again with a constant RPM.

I can not think of any difference as I would think the flywheel will be moving at the proper speed to match the transmission in both cases. Why does double clutching make a difference?
Double clutching is not necessary with a gear with properly functioning syncro. It is a waste of time. As you said, to minimize the wear on the syncro and improve the ability to get into a lower gear, you need to match the speed of the gear with the shaft. You can choose to stop the car from moving and sit with the clutch disengaged for a few seconds so everything stops moving or you can choose to speed the shaft up to a speed that will match the anticipated gear speed. The longer you keep the clutch disengaged, the more your gears will slow down. Shift to be smooth, deliberate and quick.

Often, accelerating right before shifting will accomplish this or you can blip the throttle as you downshift. You do not have to apply the brakes at the same time. Mastering this technique will keep your passenger from even knowing you shifted to a lower gear. Rev matching is extremely imprortant while tracking or drivng aggressively as it helps prevent unnecessary weight transfer on downshifts.

Remember that gear lube has alot to do with how syncro's operate. The wrong lube or cantaminated lube will have negative effects on your shifting ability. Gear lube must be fully warmed up.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:29 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am not an expert on this stuff but I think I understand it well. So take my explanation below for what it's worth.

Simply put, the drivetrain looks something like this:

engine -> clutch -> tranny input shaft -> gears -> output shaft

The wheels are connected to the tranny output shaft (through diff and drive shafts). So if the car is moving, the output shaft is always spinning (regardless of gear selection, neutral, clutch, etc).

When you rev-match with the clutch in, all you're doing is bringing the engine up to speed to match the speed of the output shaft (and wheels). But the input side of the tranny will not be spinning at the correct speed for the next gear. As you select the next gear with the lever, the synchros will spin the input shaft up to speed. That's the resistance you feel as you change gear.

But if you don't have synchros, you must clutch, select neutral, release the clutch, then blip the engine to rev-match the input shaft. Now that both shafts are speed-matched, you clutch again, quickly select the next gear and release the clutch.

With synchros, none of that fancy double-clutch footwork is technically necessary.

However, even with synchros, selecting 1st gear while moving is stressful on the mechanism. Double-clutching makes it all work smoothly. But yes, the 1st gear synchro will do its job if you just push hard. I personally prefer double clutching into 1st on the rare occasion I find it necessary to select 1st while still rolling. Just makes it easier on the synchros. And it's fun.

Hope that helps. If anyone sees where I have it wrong, please correct me.

BTW, even with synchros, it is good practice to rev-match when downchanging, track or street. The syncros will match the shaft speeds in the tranny, so double-clutching is not necessary. But rev-matching means your tranny and clutch do not need to spin your engine up to speed as you release the clutch. This is good practice for vehicle stability, drivetrain stress reduction, clutch wear and comfort. Heel-toe is not difficult to learn - just takes practice. And once you have it nailed it will transform your driving experience.

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 04-06-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:34 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Hmmmm, I already said that but I guess it takes a couple of different Rennlisters to get the point across to some.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

oh boy...

confusions b/n double clutching and rev matching blips...

i give up...
Old 04-07-2008, 06:43 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
oh boy...

confusions b/n double clutching and rev matching blips...

i give up...
Mooty, where's the confusion?

Rev-matching blips (heel-toe if braking) brings the engine up to speed required for the gear you're changing down to. Double-clutching matches shaft speeds in the tranny, which is no longer necessary with syncros.

Are we still confused?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I don't often down shift to 1st gear, but double clutching makes it easier when I have to.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 AM
fve
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abg123
OK..I did a few experiments. I can only go into first gear(easily) when under 1k rpm. At around 2k I could not get it into first..and I didnt force it as I didnt want any damage. I did a few times "work" it into 1st while going slightly over 1k rpm...but met some aggressive resistance.
I really wanted to get into first while using a "rolling" stop..like a stop sign or right turn on red. I tried double clutching and that didnt help.
Called Braman Porsche in West palm Beach and was going to make an appointment to get the tranny looked at. The guy at service discussed the problem w/ me and told me it was NORMAL. He said you need to come to almost a complete stop to get it into first gear.
That cant be right? I've never driven a manual where I couldnt get into lower gears while slowing down and rolling to a stop. Maybe I should be treating 2nd as my lowest gear? But rolling to a stop and go in 2nd isnt optimal...as it's obvious it needs to be in first.
I am certainly no expert, but as a new gt3 owner i can perhaps share my experience. any car that i have ever driven can be tough to get into first unless it is at rest. this seems to be more pronounced in the gt3. I too noticed that if i was approaching a light (in traffic), and i wanted to select first, it would not be easy. Since i was in traffic, i have learned to leave in second most of the time. I have had not trouble getting into first (if need be) with rev matching. It does need a very forceful blip however to match well.

*** Just push it harder. It will loosen up over time. ***

Prior to purchase, the second-gear synchro was completely shot. the previous owner simply thought that the transmission had become balky going into second and starting forcing it. Well, this came up during test drive (there was a whole post at the end of last year about this car) and PPI. Well, the previous owner split the cost of service with porsche and the transmission is all good now. And the second gear synchro is now the steel one.

Just my 2 cents worth, but i would be reluctant to recommend forcing any shift (gt3 or any other manual) too much. If it feels like it does not want to go, then there is likely a good reason (be it technique or mechanical) for it.

Originally Posted by Martin Bishop

If your car is still under warranty and you suspect an issue, by all means take it in... but I will warn you my rebuild took quite some time.
The repair work on my transmission took about 5 weeks. Very painful waiting to test-drive the car with a repaired transmission. But it did buy it.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Mooty, where's the confusion?

Rev-matching blips (heel-toe if braking) brings the engine up to speed required for the gear you're changing down to. Double-clutching matches shaft speeds in the tranny, which is no longer necessary with syncros.

Are we still confused?
i am NOT confused. but the various posts are confusing.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fve
I am certainly no expert, but as a new gt3 owner i can perhaps share my experience. any car that i have ever driven can be tough to get into first unless it is at rest. this seems to be more pronounced in the gt3. I too noticed that if i was approaching a light (in traffic), and i wanted to select first, it would not be easy. Since i was in traffic, i have learned to leave in second most of the time. I have had not trouble getting into first (if need be) with rev matching. It does need a very forceful blip however to match well.

*** Just push it harder. It will loosen up over time. ***

Prior to purchase, the second-gear synchro was completely shot. the previous owner simply thought that the transmission had become balky going into second and starting forcing it. Well, this came up during test drive (there was a whole post at the end of last year about this car) and PPI. Well, the previous owner split the cost of service with porsche and the transmission is all good now. And the second gear synchro is now the steel one.

Just my 2 cents worth, but i would be reluctant to recommend forcing any shift (gt3 or any other manual) too much. If it feels like it does not want to go, then there is likely a good reason (be it technique or mechanical) for it.

The repair work on my transmission took about 5 weeks. Very painful waiting to test-drive the car with a repaired transmission. But it did buy it.
I never suggested "forcing" it into gear. Many owners baby the gear lever and think that anything harder than a light push is more than enough. This is not the case. These same people are often the ones that complain that their clutch pedal is hard to depress and tires their leg out.

I'll say it again - if you cannot get into first gear moving less that 25 mph on a fully warmed up GT3 transmission, either the driver or the car has a problem. If it is not the driver, then warranty will cover whatever is necessary to correct the problem.

Quick Reply: tough shift from 2nd to 1st...syncros??