Toe links/ control arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arenared
The ERP are very adjustable for bump steer. I put them in based on the great info here on this board (mine's not a GT3, though). With the ERP pieces, you can use "any" 1/2" hardware that you like to achieve silly levels of bump steer correction which you may not need, but I liked that they are also nicely made and beefy. They probably weigh a little more than the PMNA parts, though.

I think there are 3 topics inherent to toe link (track rod) discussions:

* First: get rid of those unstable eccentrics (all do this--TRG, Tarret, etc.)
* Second: ability to compensate for bump steer (only PMNA and ERP)
* Third: get rid of rubber flex (varies)

I think my ERP links were about $800 -- more than the $500-ish for TRG, etc., but worth it IMO for the ability to compensate for bump steer. With the solid ERP links, I felt noticeably better rear-end "reactiveness" along with greater noise/vibration transmission which may not be a concern to a lot of folks here. Those are the more subtle points. The rear, in general, has a whole new level of stability with the ability to control bump steer. Again, not a GT3, so YMMV but I want to contribute back to this forum what I can.
+2

Indeed, I got installed the ERP at the front, because the car needed a lot to eliminate front bump steer (I knew about them long time ago, and got them recommended again by Loren at 911 Design).

The Porsche parts allow +/- 10mm only, it comes with +/- 5mm rings, so longer or extra rings are needed to get +/- 10mm. If you need more than that, forget about this Porsche part.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Interested in these too, what's the benefit of the control arm combo? My bump steer is totally eliminated with the Moton's, solid mounts and so on in my GT2. But this past weekend at VIR I was getting a wallow/uneasy feeling once getting much faster through the uphill esse's, our very own 930man Matt told me the solid Toe Links in the GT2 eliminate that.

Thoughts?
Sorry off topic... Curious what kind of top speed do you see at VIR?

We were thinking of going out to Greg Jones lapping day at VIR.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:30 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Control arms bushings are cheap, something like 10 euros or US$200. The ERP toe links are cheaper than the Porsche MotorSports, and they are visually better: bigger, well finished, and come with rubber boots to protect the monoball bearings.

Any toe link will do the work, Tarret, ERP , GMG, Porsche, etc.

In addition to these links and solid bushings on control arms, I did the upper monoball arms (dog bones, cheap) and inner monoball bearings for control arms ($$$$$ from PMNA). No noises whatsoever in almost two years. I put monoball drop links at the back, but I doubt anybody would notice a difference.

My Motons have the upper monoball strut mount. Be aware that Moton CS have rubber bushings at the bottom for the rear strut. The Moton MotorSports are lighter (Aluminum body) and use monoball bushings.
Damn i'm so confused on what to add, what brands to go with and so on to my Moton's LOL!!!!

Originally Posted by LVDell
TRG are NOT adjustable
Tarett have two versions 1 that is and one that isn't
ERP I have no idea about.
PMNA are adjustable (I have them front and rear)

FYI....bump steer is NOT eliminated with Moton's. You need to have adjustable toe arms like the PMNA, etc, to be able to bumpsteer the car for load.
I believe you are right, BUT I have not felt one bit of bumpsteer in my GT2 with my new Moton setup???

Originally Posted by Z06
Sorry off topic... Curious what kind of top speed do you see at VIR?

We were thinking of going out to Greg Jones lapping day at VIR.
I am seeing 165-168 on the back straight, and front I don't even look, back straight i'm going into 6th WOT and on the front im going into 5th, but this isn't that accurate because I am not redlining (7k7200) and shifting at 6k!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:49 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks, that's flying.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:52 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06
Thanks, that's flying.
No prob, yea it was damn fast and took me a while to get the ***** to go that quick/deep into throttle, i'm sure someone else (not me LOL) can get even more, I was braking at the 4 Marker!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Must be nice to have those turbos
Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TRG are NOT adjustable
Tarett have two versions 1 that is and one that isn't
ERP I have no idea about.
PMNA are adjustable (I have them front and rear)

FYI....bump steer is NOT eliminated with Moton's. You need to have adjustable toe arms like the PMNA, etc, to be able to bumpsteer the car for load.
Tarret sells the ERP one
Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So then THIS is the ERP unit sold by Tarett for $392each?
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Must be nice to have those turbos
It is quite nice since it has really no lag either, LWFW helped tremendously and the zero clearance turbos..

BUTTTTT, I do miss NA and working for it around the track!

Is it necessary to upgrade those as well as the toe links? I wold assume do it all at once right? Orrrr?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

It is quite nice since it has really no lag either, LWFW helped tremendously and the zero clearance turbos..

BUTTTTT, I do miss NA and working for it around the track!
You ain't kidding. Loving the NA power put you really gotta be hustlin' that sucker around to keep you TT guys of our ***!

Is it necessary to upgrade those as well as the toe links? I wold assume do it all at once right? Orrrr?
One in the same. Those toe arms pictured are just ones with bump steer adjustment. The ones with that adjustment will cost you more. IIRC, my PMNA ones were about $900 a set.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:30 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

You ain't kidding. Loving the NA power put you really gotta be hustlin' that sucker around to keep you TT guys of our ***!

One in the same. Those toe arms pictured are just ones with bump steer adjustment. The ones with that adjustment will cost you more. IIRC, my PMNA ones were about $900 a set.
Duh, I didn't even bother reading the link lol, that's an all in one, awesome.

You recommend that particular piece? Matt recommended solid toe links for my car to get rid of the slight wallow you can feel, when it happens which for me was only in the esses when at about 130!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Not sure what you mean by SOLID ones. Front? Rear? What about toe adjustment?

As far as rec'd one or the other I would say that you cannot go wrong with either PMNA, Tarett, or ERP when selecting one. I personally went with the PMNA set.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Not sure what you mean by SOLID ones. Front? Rear? What about toe adjustment?

As far as rec'd one or the other I would say that you cannot go wrong with either PMNA, Tarett, or ERP when selecting one. I personally went with the PMNA set.
I'm not really sure myself, 930man (Matt) just recommended solid toe links to me, or maybe I misunderstood and he just meant toe links.

Well I will be doing this soon, so need to do some more research! I will be picking your brain a little more in the next week or so before I order them

Martin
Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they have to model with diffrent monballs
Old 03-20-2008, 01:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Well I will be doing this soon, so need to do some more research! I will be picking your brain a little more in the next week or so before I order them
n
Martin, feel free to PM me anytime. I am sure Matt would be more than happy to answer any questions as well. I know he is new to the GT2 but he is NOT new to the track and his knowledge is pretty deep as well.

I'd probably ping him at least to get clarification on the toe arms.

Quick Reply: Toe links/ control arms