Sponsored by:

I may have a chance to buy a 996 GT3 MK1 Club Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 AM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I may have a chance to buy a 996 GT3 MK1 Club Sport

There is a chance that a low mileage MK1 Club Sport may come available for purchase in my area.
Is the Club Sport much more desirable than the standard GT3 (MK1)?
Any idea how many were built?

I am already dreaming of driving it on the track... Time will tell.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:02 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeufCentOnze
Is the Club Sport much more desirable than the standard GT3 (MK1)?
Any idea how many were built?
Great car. But the only mechanical difference between the standard Mk1 GT3 and CS version was the LWFW and CS cage. Both parts can be retrofitted to the standard GT3. I would not consider things like the battery cutout or the fire extinguisher to be of great value.

Not many Mk1s were made and even fewer were CSes. They are distinctly unique and quite special. Nice choice!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:54 PM
NOBY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Europe they are quite common.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:56 AM
maximu5
Advanced

Location: Brussels, Belgium, 1 hour West of Spa, 2 hours West of the Ring ;-)

Clubsports are not "common" in Europe: only 28 were sold new in the whole of the UK, one of Porsche's largest markets in the world. That makes them rarer even than 996RS. Although there is indeed not much difference mechanically between them and "comfort" MK1s, as mentioned above, the fact that more and more MK1s are being advertised as Clubsport, but are actually upgrades of Comforts, would suggest that a Clubsport has something in the market going for it. I know one guy who went hunting for a MK1 Clubsport in Germany who saw 3 "fake" Clubsports before finding a real one. Still, the difference is more intangible than real.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:11 AM
NOBY
Pro

Then maybe its fake clubsports, but they are very common on ads what I have seen when I was looking for my porsche.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

Originally Posted by NOBY
Then maybe its fake clubsports, but they are very common on ads what I have seen when I was looking for my porsche.
I agree with you, it seems so in Scandinavia at least. For example in Finland there are no MK1 Comforts, all the GT3 MK1 models are Club Sport.

One thing worth to mention is that the most powerful engines on Porsche factory test dyno were installed to Club Sport models.
Of course the difference is very minimal but still a nice fact.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:55 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by Kaizu
I agree with you, it seems so in Scandinavia at least. For example in Finland there are no MK1 Comforts, all the GT3 MK1 models are Club Sport.

One thing worth to mention is that the most powerful engines on Porsche factory test dyno were installed to Club Sport models.
Of course the difference is very minimal but still a nice fact.
BULLSH*T !!!

The extent some people spout crap on these forums to distort the market is truly amazing.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:58 PM
JMeager
Advanced

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
BULLSH*T !!!

The extent some people spout crap on these forums to distort the market is truly amazing.
What Ade, you don't believe that Porsche sat there dyno tuning each engine all 2000 odd for Mk1's to find the most powerful to make into CS's? No, you mean all my hopes and dreams mean nothing? Geez...... I've lost all faith in humanity now.....

Here I was thinking I understood how the world went round......
Old 03-08-2008, 09:57 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by JMeager
What Ade, you don't believe that Porsche sat there dyno tuning each engine all 2000 odd for Mk1's to find the most powerful to make into CS's? No, you mean all my hopes and dreams mean nothing? Geez...... I've lost all faith in humanity now.....

Here I was thinking I understood how the world went round......
LOL, sorry mate to burst your bubble... but at least I know where you're coming from.... Kaizu needs the smiley... you never know where these internet posts go sometimes!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Kaizu
Instructor

BULLSH*T !!!

Hehehe oops, get some friends from the factory engine department and ask for them about it...
A suitable job helps so you can go to see the dyno-test procedure for example... Who knows or cares about the truth but that is what I was told: When possible, they put the engines with highest output to CS models.

AND still like I mentioned in the first post, who the heck cares if some car has 363hp and the other car has 361hp, no one can see any difference.

But I got your point, I won't spout any more this kind of amazing crap on these forums...which I would have.

Sorry and have a nice season with your Manthey GT3. I have seen it parked just front of the crowded Grune Hölle, looking very nice.
Though on crowded TF days the front parks are mainly for poseurs with super cars while the drivers drive if you know what I mean..
Old 03-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's not hard to find a Mk.I CS in Europe and the price premium is fairly low to the touring model. You can get one for as low as €50K for a MY00 with high milage. Perhaps it will continue the same path as the 993RS, time will tell.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:24 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys for the comments. The one I am looking at is a genuine CS, one of the few in the Middle East I believe (of course it has at least 362.59hp ).
I am waiting for the owner to come back from a business trip and decide whether he really wants to sell - at a price that I can afford.
Hope to be one of the privileged soon. Wish me luck
Chris
Old 03-09-2008, 01:12 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by Kaizu

Sorry and have a nice season with your Manthey GT3. I have seen it parked just front of the crowded Grune Hölle, looking very nice.
Though on crowded TF days the front parks are mainly for poseurs with super cars while the drivers drive if you know what I mean..
you needn't be so subtle! On a crowded day, I park up wherever there is a space (if any at all). Come say hello next time instead of stalking! Imho the 'Ring is about the social atmosphere with friends and the driving: egos don't belong at the 'Ring... only in the armco.

Originally Posted by NeufCentOnze
Thanks guys for the comments. The one I am looking at is a genuine CS, one of the few in the Middle East I believe (of course it has at least 362.59hp ).
I am waiting for the owner to come back from a business trip and decide whether he really wants to sell - at a price that I can afford.
Hope to be one of the privileged soon. Wish me luck
Chris
Good luck Chris - they are fabulous cars.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

you needn't be so subtle! On a crowded day, I park up wherever there is a space (if any at all). Come say hello next time instead of stalking! Imho the 'Ring is about the social atmosphere with friends and the driving: egos don't belong at the 'Ring... only in the armco.
Will do next time. Had no idea about the owner cause noticed your car first there and then here on RL...You and Giuseppe (reg. plate starts with SUG...) seem to have the most beautiful mk1's I've seen,

Great cars they are!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:19 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

I wonder anyone in US has converted regular early 996 to exact MK1 GT3 specs. Those cars do look great.

Quick Reply: I may have a chance to buy a 996 GT3 MK1 Club Sport